Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Windows 8


Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
30 Aug 2013 9:59AM
I haven't got any kind of upgrade Ade.
I did install the start menu separately but 8 is as it was set up when it was installed.
The tiles flash onto the screen for a nanosecond as it starts up but the rest of the time, I use a desktop.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 10:04AM
Windows 8.1 doesn't change much. Even if you don't have the add-on jester is talking about when you start up you simply have to click on Desktop.
Why anyone misses the blooming awful old Start Menu is a mystery to me.
Ade_Osman e2
11 4.5k 36 England
30 Aug 2013 10:08AM

Quote:Why anyone misses the blooming awful old Start Menu is a mystery to me.


Familiarity I think, I can't say my main machine is on 7, the wife has 8 and she don't half get aggrieved when the grandchildren have been using her machine and have put grubby fingerprints all over the screen because they've tried to use the tiles Smile
30 Aug 2013 1:57PM

Quote:Windows 8.1 doesn't change much. Even if you don't have the add-on jester is talking about when you start up you simply have to click on Desktop.
Why anyone misses the blooming awful old Start Menu is a mystery to me.


I tried Win8 as a pre-release and could not get rid of that nasty Vista feeling of something that is not quite right. Could be just bad memories - cause I happily run Ubuntu on my laptop. As for Start button - don't know if it is ugly (never really thought of Win aesthetics) but proved to be handy in many previous generations of the system. With 8 they got rid of it just for the sake of "innovative" touchscreen display not available at 99 percent of desktops. It's pretty much like removing the shutter button off the camera for it has a touchscreen and electronic shutter. Ugly protruding little bit of metal or plastic that needs an extra seal... But many of us would miss it.Smile
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 3:04PM

Quote:As for Start button - don't know if it is ugly (never really thought of Win aesthetics) but proved to be handy in many previous generations of the system. With 8 they got rid of it just for the sake of "innovative" touchscreen display not available at 99 percent of desktops.


I didn't mention the start button or it being ugly. I said the Start MENU was awful, the more stuff you had on the machine the harder it was to organise. With 8 they made that menu full screen and much improved the search making it more useful.
The shame of it is, if they had left the star button and made the background to the start screen semi-transparent people would realise its just a big start menu.
pluckyfilly e2
8 319 33 United Kingdom
30 Aug 2013 4:48PM
I particularly asked NOT to have a touch screen using widows 8 and I go to desktop I only ask for more tiles than I see when I can't find a certain programme for whatever purpose but thats not oftenWink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.