Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

ray1
ray1  10518 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2012 - 12:55 PM

The time is near when the old xp machine might need to retire and a new system considered. I also have a macbook and like both systems equally with both having pros and cons. In my search for the right system upgrade and bugger me, how things have moved on without me, I was reading about win 8 and can only think, that will be crap. I never got on with vista and cant say I have ever used win 7 but I like OSX. I dont want my next purchase to be based on operating system but I cant say win 8 is floating my boat at this moment in time. Has anyone had any insight into win 8 and what are your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Jun 2012 - 12:55 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrGoatsmilk
3 Jun 2012 - 1:40 PM

If windows 7 is anything to go by it will be great

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315586 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Jun 2012 - 1:42 PM

Windows 7 is great. Windows 8 is a massive UI redesign, which will be great if you have a tablet, but IMHO is poorly thought out for the millions of current Windows desktop users.

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82324 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2012 - 1:50 PM

Ray,

I don't get the idea of having 2 different PC's using 2 operating systems. Doesn't this mean you will have difficulty running the same software on both?

I take it from your post that the Mac is still fine - why not then buy a Mac desktop?

(Sits back and waits for the Windows fans to diss the Mac - especially in terms of price)

ray1
3 Jun 2012 - 1:55 PM

Thats my thoughts Bri as it seems to be for many others so I suppose one option could be to go with 7 and miss 8 all together. There is Mountain Lion as well due out in the summer. The last time I upgraded it was easy, now there is equal choice from osx and win, lcd, led, ips, glossy and none glossy monitors, all in ones, minis and pro, spotty youths in currys, the un educated in comets etc, online and off line i3, i5, i7 etc etc etc.

ray1
3 Jun 2012 - 2:00 PM

Sherlob, I dont run the same software on both systems, PC does the photo stuff and the macbook does the mobile, surfing and looking cool in starbucks stuff. All my phot software is due upgrades so going either way is not to major a problem. Im not someone who needs the latest everytime something changes and I will use it until it no longer does the job hence Im still on xp and dont mind paying a bit extra for the kit as it will have to do at least 5 yrs before I consider a change. The macbook is fine and has never missed a beat but then again neither has the pc except for a failed hard drive a couple of yrs ago.

Last Modified By ray1 at 3 Jun 2012 - 2:08 PM
MarkBroughton

Quote: (Sits back and waits for the Windows fans to diss the Mac - especially in terms of price)

Afternoon Adam Wink

MarkBroughton

Quote: Windows 7 is great. Windows 8 is a massive UI redesign, which will be great if you have a tablet, but IMHO is poorly thought out for the millions of current Windows desktop users.

I downloaded the pre release version of 8 and completely agree with you Bri, if you could turn off the intro screen with the tiles, that would be better. I am sure ms will address this before they release, to the public i.e. having options for laptops & desktops, and another set for tablets and touch screen pc's, at least I bloody hope so Smile

Windows 7 is great, quick, smooth, looks nice and very reliable, a whole different ball game to Vista.

Last Modified By MarkBroughton at 3 Jun 2012 - 3:11 PM
keith selmes
3 Jun 2012 - 3:41 PM

I have a colleague who tried the current Windows 8 download and gave it a big thumbs down. I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm told it has a cluttered horrible in your face screen on top of Windows 7, so better off with 7. I have the download file, but will probably not bother installing it.
At the moment, it looks as though 8 may be another Vista, i.e worth skipping and seeing what comes next.

keith selmes
3 Jun 2012 - 3:43 PM

Quote: Sits back and waits for the Windows fans to diss the Mac

we're a bit busy just now, dissing Windows 8 and Windows Vista - will try and get back to you later Smile

redsnappa
redsnappa  111916 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Jun 2012 - 4:15 PM

As a Windows user I believe there is nothing wrong with a Mac, just the people who use them.

Quote: the macbook does the mobile, surfing and looking cool in starbucks stuff

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2012 - 4:32 PM

Yup! For sure agree with guys who say Windows 7 Great, Its been so reliable/Stable its almost like XP, But without the XP snags......Smile

Not being a Mac fan, Translate that to " Apple " fan, Mainly because they seem to have lost the plot computers wise, Now throwing all their efforts at shiny new " i " toys instead....Grin

Agree again on Windows 8, Its probably going to be Windows 7 with a silly interface designed for mobile " Toys " ......Grin

Nope! We do not need a " Toys R Us " interface for desktop machines, No matter who's logo is on the case, Or who's OS is running the show.....!!!!!!!!!

The very idea of a touchscreen desktop is a joke, So if MS have any sense there will be a proper desktop UI, Maybe even one to emulate all previous Windows UI, So you can have whatever flavour you like, All controlled with a " MOUSE " not sticky fingers.....Wink

Last Modified By cameracat at 3 Jun 2012 - 4:37 PM
tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 95916 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2012 - 4:49 PM

Vince is just about spot on, with his commentsSmile

Adrian

mattw
mattw  105189 forum posts United Kingdom10 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2012 - 6:25 PM

Quote: Windows 7 is great. Windows 8 is a massive UI redesign, which will be great if you have a tablet, but IMHO is poorly thought out for the millions of current Windows desktop users.

Windows has always had a habit of alternating good and bad releases for their 'home' editions:

Win 3 - not quite there
Win 3.1 - A it better
Win 95 - bit dodgy
Win 97 - Much better
Win Millennium - complete disaster
Win XP - Fantastic
Win Vista - rubbish
Win 7 - Very impressive.
Win 8 .....

User_Removed
3 Jun 2012 - 6:38 PM

Quote: Windows 7 is great. Windows 8 is a massive UI redesign

Isn't using the tile thing optional?

I only ever have half a dozen icons (pinned to taskbar) for my most used programs then the rest of the time I'm not using Windows itself but using a program like DPP or a web browser like Firefox.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.