Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014177 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2012 - 6:58 PM

Quote: Isn't using the tile thing optional?

Don't think so, it replaces the start menu and the taskbar. They reckon the research shows that the tiles system is more efficient than the current way of working..mind you they reckoned their research showed that people wanted the talking paper clip in Office.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
3 Jun 2012 - 6:58 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MarkBroughton

I think if Microsoft dont make it optional, it will be a major deciding factor for me stay on Win7, and probably many others too, as it a bit ugly and unneccesary.

Behind that, it all looks pretty similar to Win7.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014177 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2012 - 7:05 PM

Oh, so the task bar is still there. They have just replaced the start menu with something a bit more efficent.
Don't seem like a show-stopper to me.

Last Modified By lobsterboy at 3 Jun 2012 - 7:05 PM
keith selmes
3 Jun 2012 - 7:10 PM

possubly - from a discussion at TomsHardware

"microsoft said they'd force metro ui in consumer preview so they can get more testing done on it since they know vast majority of users would just disable it right away

it's gonna be optional in final revision"

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/238-73-windows-consumer-preview-disable-metro

If it's true, it could be an own goal, as people will just disable win 8 right away

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Jun 2012 - 7:13 PM

Quote: Win 97 - Much better

You mean Windows 98 I think Wink

Nope. You can get to a "normal" desktop, but have to go through the Metro interface to shutdown.

User_Removed
3 Jun 2012 - 10:03 PM

People who have the Metro interface on Windows phones rave about it, it just looks like rectangles to me. Must need to be tried to understand it

Big Bri
3 Jun 2012 - 10:16 PM

I don't get metro at all. Looks horrible.

Big Bri
3 Jun 2012 - 10:17 PM

I mean, I don't want my Twitter feed, email, FB, photos etc in my face all the time...

strawman
strawman  1022010 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
3 Jun 2012 - 11:30 PM

I thought the metro interface was OK, sort of like early windows when the displays were small and icons looked big Wink

Yes looks driven by the tablet/phone solutions but I guess MS wants a one look for all approach to try and stop loosing market. I guess it will be common soon to have laptops with touch screens, so give that many are moving from desk tops to lap tops, then another pile must be moving more to tablets. I know that now we have a tablet it provides all the computing my wife needs so I wonder in a few years time what percentage of people will be using touch screen devices.

for myself I struggle to understand the Vista problem, I find it and 7 very similar (not surprising as there is not much different). All I know is that Xp is fine and stable but its a lot easier to do a fresh install on Vista or 7. For me moving to 64 bit computing was the jump, not vista to 7. Just wondering what I am missing. Side by side speed I found the same, providing you use a decent graphics card.

User_Removed
4 Jun 2012 - 12:11 AM

Vista, for me, could be very sluggish when running more than a few programs. Win 7 seems much nippier and seems to manage memory better. I can't see any reason to upgrade to 8 as 7 works fine for me.

ray1
ray1  10519 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
4 Jun 2012 - 8:22 AM

Maybe touchscreen on pc's is the way to go with something like this www.leapmotion.com

By the sound of it win 8 is likely to be just a flowered up win 7 so it might nit be too bad,.

redsnappa
redsnappa  121936 forum posts United Kingdom
4 Jun 2012 - 8:28 AM

More info about Windows 8 Win8 info

You can switch it to the old traditional desktop it seems.

Most people have an icon for every single application they've installed sitting on the desktop, Microsoft has seen this trend and worked it into their new OS, now people don't like it 'cos Microsoft did it. You can't please some people

Last Modified By redsnappa at 4 Jun 2012 - 9:03 AM
lobsterboy
4 Jun 2012 - 8:50 AM

Quote: By the sound of it win 8 is likely to be just a flowered up win 7 so it might nit be too bad,.

Apart from the metro interface, a lot of work has gone into making it work on tablets: really fast boot, reduced power usage, support for different chip sets, better memory management, etc.
Most of which would seem to be useful on a laptop or PC.

Big Bri
4 Jun 2012 - 9:31 AM

Quote: Most people have an icon for every single application they've installed sitting on the desktop

I'd love to know where that 'fact' came from Smile

I have my most-used apps pinned to the taskbar, and the rest from the Start Menu. My desktop is empty.

lobsterboy
4 Jun 2012 - 9:51 AM

The trouble is that when you have loads of stuff installed the start menu doesn't work too well. These days i fnd i just type the name in the search box.
A full screen replacement might be a good idea, I'm happy to give it a go.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.