Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 8

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85907 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
28 Oct 2012 - 9:27 PM

Quote:
Because sometime in the near future there will be an upgrade to your RAW processing software that will require Windows 8 Sad

Sorry, but this does not make any senseSad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Oct 2012 - 9:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

jayx90
jayx90  2 Australia
29 Oct 2012 - 3:48 AM

if it will work on windows 8.....it will work on windows 7 just dont get mixed up and start touching the screen and think why its not workingGrin

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53579 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2012 - 3:47 PM

Also on Win8 you get IE10, and this should also be faster and more secure.
The change is gonna happen one day, you are just choosing to upgrade your current machine now, or perhaps buy your new w8 machine later.

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  51432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2012 - 4:34 PM

Some interesting and varied points of view. I have no difficulty in accepting an updated version of Windows but I have to concede that the touchscreen is of no interest to me whatsoever. The only problem with upgrades to Windows is that some of your favourite, older programmes may not load and drivers for some pieces of hardware may not be available for the new version making them obsolete.

Jestertheclown
30 Oct 2012 - 9:37 AM

Quote: The only problem with upgrades to Windows is that some of your favourite, older programmes may not load and drivers for some pieces of hardware may not be available for the new version making them obsolete.

The update adviser tells you which, if any devices aren't compatible. In my case only one and it's one that I didn't know that I had anyway!
If you're really concerned though, I'd wait a little while, perhaps until SP1, by which time everything should have been taken care of.
I suppose that you might just have to lose out on any really old programmes though. Do you have any that you honestly can't replace or live without?

DOGSBODY
DOGSBODY  51432 forum posts England30 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2012 - 10:53 AM

There are none that I can't live without but I did lose a few when I went from XP to Vista that I wish I still had.

davewaine
davewaine  7115 forum posts England3 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2012 - 12:34 PM

My main computer is a Mac, but I also have an old PC that I use as a back-up. I upgraded it from XP to Windows 8 yesterday, mainly because it is on special offer at the moment. I must admit that I rather like what I have seen so far, so I would recommend it. Aside from the new interface, it seems to be much the same as 7 once you actually get working, so I suppose it would handle Photoshop et al in much the same way. I don't use it for pictures, though. I am a writer primarily and I find I can work on my master documents (created in Pages) using Google Docs on the PC when the family is hogging the Mac. Normally this sort of thing would lead to a corrupted file, but this seems to work - at least so far. The touch screen element does not interest me at all (it's just a way of covering your monitor with finger marks if you ask me). Happily 8 works perfectly normally with a mouse as well.

JJGEE
JJGEE  96283 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
30 Oct 2012 - 3:03 PM

Just spotted this relating to Adobe's products with Windows 8

User_Removed
31 Oct 2012 - 9:36 AM

Here is some info from Microsoft that might be helpful:

You can upgrade to Windows 8 from Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 8 Release Preview, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows Developer Preview, but you might not be able to keep all of your files, software programs, and settings. The following table shows what you can keep during an upgrade, depending on the current version of Windows you are running. If you choose to boot from removable media, you won’t be able to keep your software programs, Windows settings, or personal files when you upgrade.

Upgrading from: -What you can keep:
Windows 8 Preview -Personal files
Windows 8 Developer Preview -Nothing, but your old files will be saved in the "windows.old" folder
Windows 7 -Software programs; Windows settings; personal files
Windows Vista -Windows settings; personal files
Windows XP -Personal files

System Requirements

1 GHz processor
2 GB RAM
20 GB available hard disk space
1366 × 768 screen resolution
DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM driver

Additional Requirements to Use Certain Features

Internet access (fees may apply)
For touchscreen, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multi-touch
Microsoft account required for some features
To access the Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768
To snap apps, you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768

Last Modified By User_Removed at 31 Oct 2012 - 9:37 AM
skeletor
skeletor  101643 forum posts England
1 Nov 2012 - 5:16 PM

I can see the advantage in touch-screen for phone and tablet type devices, but for a desk top monitor it seems like a backward step. Doctors probably need to ready themselves for right-arm touch-screenitis that will no doubt be prevalent in a year or two.

User_Removed
1 Nov 2012 - 5:29 PM

Imagine that swipe and touch-friendly Metro interface with Kinect. That's where I can see desktop Windows heading http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-wLOfjVfVc

It's already partly on TV sets thanks to X-Box. There's Win 7 development. Win 8 ties the lot together.

mountains
mountains  545 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 - 12:02 PM

I have now found out from Canon there is new software coming soon they gave me a Tel No. to get a disc.

rhousham
rhousham  7432 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Nov 2012 - 4:15 PM

Hi we have a machine in the office which we installed a windows 8 preview - I loved the new windows 7 start menu with the browse but can't get my head around the new start menu. Maybe I just need time.
I do need a new machine my home one is getting a little past it's sell by date!

Slightly off topic I tried Umbuto the linux brand - it can fit onto a USB pen - is free and really quite good.
Comes with libre office - the free office version seesm quite quick and easy to get you head around.
You can make a usb pen and then boot off it with a trial for free!

Jestertheclown

Getting even more slightly off of the original topic, I've got a copy of 'Puppy Linux' on a Usb key from which I can boot a machine.
It's very handy if you need to access one from which you've been locked out or if you want to run a Malwarebytes scan without Windows (or any potential malware) being aware.

User_Removed
2 Nov 2012 - 6:45 PM

?? How would you run a Malwarebytes scan when you've booted into Linux? AFAIK Malwarebytes needs Windows and doesn't run under Linux.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.