Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Windows 8 Colour Question

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2012 3:50PM
Any Windows 8 users know if the Windows 8 desktop is colour managed? What about applications, will they automatically all use your monitor profile? This is a pain in earlier Windows when you have a wide gamut monitor, hoping it's not same in Win8?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

19 Nov 2012 4:05PM
Not 100% sure but if your apps are colour space aware they will use your calibrated profiles, ie cs5/6 etc.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
19 Nov 2012 4:08PM
So far as I can see Chris, Its pretty much the same as Win 7, But I have only been messing with Win 8 Pro 64bit for a week or two, Will get back to you if I have anything really relevant to add.

Meantime one way would be to check what the Windows Fax Viewer shows, Win 7s version was not colour managed ( or at least not very well LOL..Smile ) I just compared a jpeg file created on my wide gamut display with said viewer and it looked dull, But when viewed in " Paint " of all things, It then matched the output appearance from the wide gamut machine ie: sRGB for web....!!!

That said MS where supposed to be sorting the colour management thing on Win 8.....? Though they did not say it was ready straight from the box....Sad

Whatever, Will keep ya posted.....
19 Nov 2012 4:42PM
from a quick search online it appears the desktop is not colour managed
19 Nov 2012 5:37PM
Yeah from what I've seen it seems inconclusive but unlikely.

I'd like to switch from Firefox to Chrome but it means garish reds on all pictures. Same with any Flash-based slideshows (even within a colour managed browser like Firefox). This really should be done at O/S level instead of relying on applications to do it Sad
19 Nov 2012 6:09PM
Chris google Color Management in google chrome it can be enabled easy enough for windows, im on mac and its managed as standard.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
19 Nov 2012 6:20PM
Chrome became fully colour-managed as standard not so long ago, Chris—some time at the end of September I think. Should be able to read all profiles, although unlike Firefox I don't think you can switch it to treat untagged files as sRGB. At least that's what my quick test seemed to indicate; prior to that its colour-management capability was a bit whacky.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
19 Nov 2012 7:23PM
Include me on that update too please Vince... Smile

As you know, I'm still on XP Pro BUT... have have purchased the Win 8 update and have it 'waiting in the wings' while I get 'Win 8 Compatible' confirmations from a couple of key software vendors (in terms of my setup and backup strategy Wink)

Thank you! Smile
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
19 Nov 2012 8:20PM

Quote:Include me on that update too please Vince... Smile

And me please.
I haven't got 8 yet but I'm planning to in the not too distant future.

Thanks,

Bren.
19 Nov 2012 10:29PM
Trying this page in Chrome and pictures look different (but shouldn't and are identical in Firefox).

Do I need to get a beta of Chrome?
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
19 Nov 2012 10:36PM
just tried chrome FF & IE10 - the only one where they looked the same to me was IE.
Jestertheclown 6 6.6k 242 England
19 Nov 2012 10:59PM

Quote:Trying this page in Chrome and pictures look different (but shouldn't and are identical in Firefox).

Agreed.

I've just been googling 'colour management in Chrome' because I'd quite like to use it but there seem to be quite a few people out there that aren't too impressed with the way the most recent incarnation(s) are rendering colours.
19 Nov 2012 11:17PM

Quote:just tried chrome FF & IE10 - the only one where they looked the same to me was IE.

You have to turn it on in FF. It's not enabled by default.

Had updated Chrome but mustn't have restarted and it's working perfectly now.

Untagged stuff seems not to work but better than no support at all Smile
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
19 Nov 2012 11:18PM
Those two pictures look identical to me in Chrome. Try the top left rollover on this page.

Comments about Chrome need to be very current to be worthwhile. Version 22 was the one that should have made the difference.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.2k 13 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 5:50AM
Ahh that's a better example Glenn - thanks.
So on my Windows 8 box IE, chrome and FF all seem to be colour managed.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.