Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 8 Colour Question

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
User_Removed
19 Nov 2012 - 3:50 PM

Any Windows 8 users know if the Windows 8 desktop is colour managed? What about applications, will they automatically all use your monitor profile? This is a pain in earlier Windows when you have a wide gamut monitor, hoping it's not same in Win8?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Nov 2012 - 3:50 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8984 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 4:05 PM

Not 100% sure but if your apps are colour space aware they will use your calibrated profiles, ie cs5/6 etc.

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 4:08 PM

So far as I can see Chris, Its pretty much the same as Win 7, But I have only been messing with Win 8 Pro 64bit for a week or two, Will get back to you if I have anything really relevant to add.

Meantime one way would be to check what the Windows Fax Viewer shows, Win 7s version was not colour managed ( or at least not very well LOL..Smile ) I just compared a jpeg file created on my wide gamut display with said viewer and it looked dull, But when viewed in " Paint " of all things, It then matched the output appearance from the wide gamut machine ie: sRGB for web....!!!

That said MS where supposed to be sorting the colour management thing on Win 8.....? Though they did not say it was ready straight from the box....Sad

Whatever, Will keep ya posted.....

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8984 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 4:42 PM

from a quick search online it appears the desktop is not colour managed

User_Removed
19 Nov 2012 - 5:37 PM

Yeah from what I've seen it seems inconclusive but unlikely.

I'd like to switch from Firefox to Chrome but it means garish reds on all pictures. Same with any Flash-based slideshows (even within a colour managed browser like Firefox). This really should be done at O/S level instead of relying on applications to do it Sad

GarethRobinson
19 Nov 2012 - 6:09 PM

Chris google Color Management in google chrome it can be enabled easy enough for windows, im on mac and its managed as standard.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 6:20 PM

Chrome became fully colour-managed as standard not so long ago, Chris—some time at the end of September I think. Should be able to read all profiles, although unlike Firefox I don't think you can switch it to treat untagged files as sRGB. At least that's what my quick test seemed to indicate; prior to that its colour-management capability was a bit whacky.

User_Removed
19 Nov 2012 - 7:23 PM

Include me on that update too please Vince... Smile

As you know, I'm still on XP Pro BUT... have have purchased the Win 8 update and have it 'waiting in the wings' while I get 'Win 8 Compatible' confirmations from a couple of key software vendors (in terms of my setup and backup strategy Wink)

Thank you! Smile

Jestertheclown
19 Nov 2012 - 8:20 PM

Quote: Include me on that update too please Vince... Smile

And me please.
I haven't got 8 yet but I'm planning to in the not too distant future.

Thanks,

Bren.

User_Removed
19 Nov 2012 - 10:29 PM

Trying this page in Chrome and pictures look different (but shouldn't and are identical in Firefox).

Do I need to get a beta of Chrome?

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014131 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 10:36 PM

just tried chrome FF & IE10 - the only one where they looked the same to me was IE.

Jestertheclown
19 Nov 2012 - 10:59 PM

Quote: Trying this page in Chrome and pictures look different (but shouldn't and are identical in Firefox).

Agreed.

I've just been googling 'colour management in Chrome' because I'd quite like to use it but there seem to be quite a few people out there that aren't too impressed with the way the most recent incarnation(s) are rendering colours.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 19 Nov 2012 - 10:59 PM
User_Removed
19 Nov 2012 - 11:17 PM

Quote: just tried chrome FF & IE10 - the only one where they looked the same to me was IE.

You have to turn it on in FF. It's not enabled by default.

Had updated Chrome but mustn't have restarted and it's working perfectly now.

Untagged stuff seems not to work but better than no support at all Smile

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
19 Nov 2012 - 11:18 PM

Those two pictures look identical to me in Chrome. Try the top left rollover on this page.

Comments about Chrome need to be very current to be worthwhile. Version 22 was the one that should have made the difference.

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014131 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2012 - 5:50 AM

Ahh that's a better example Glenn - thanks.
So on my Windows 8 box IE, chrome and FF all seem to be colour managed.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.