Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows 8 mail problems

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Phil_Restan
21 Jan 2013 - 8:07 AM

@ jestertheclown

Although it is a desktop application it can be configured to send and receive gmail, I haven't used it for Hotmail but maybe that as well.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
21 Jan 2013 - 8:07 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53584 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
21 Jan 2013 - 10:16 AM

Quote: I only use webmail. It works on anything.

I also much prefer Hotmail as a webmail client - even though i have windows 8. It better as folders and reminders etc are easier to see.
Does BTinternet have a webclient you like using?

I also mostly use the Google chrome browser - never tried thunderbird, though sound good above.

Camairish
Camairish  81276 forum posts Scotland
27 Jan 2013 - 9:32 PM

Thanks to all - eventually shut everything down, re started & successfully installed Thunderbird which is working well. I know the new Windows 8 look is the way most interfaces are going but for me (who never touches his computer screen for any reason) it's another learning curve just to be able to keep doing what the old OS did perfectly well. Enough to make one think about apples.....

lobsterboy
lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014128 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jan 2013 - 5:56 AM

Quote: I know the new Windows 8 look is the way most interfaces are going but for me (who never touches his computer screen for any reason) it's another learning curve just to be able to keep doing what the old OS did perfectly well.

You really don't need to bother with most of that learning curve. Go into desktop and you have a fully functioning copy of Windows 7, except the start menu is now full-screen.
If you pin everything you regularly use to the taskbar it is really easy to forget whether you are 7 or 8...I don't think I have used the start menu on my PC for about 3 weeks, so it is no different to when it was running Windows 7 AFAICS

Jestertheclown
28 Jan 2013 - 5:10 PM

Agreed.

I tried to like the tiles interface and to be fair, I rather do and I'd probably use it all of the time but whenever I close a window, the machine defaults back to the 'old' desktop, requiring a further click in the bottom corner to change to the tiles again so, unsurprisingly, I can't be arsed.

If you want a start menu, there are several options available.

contemporary dave

Quote: This is what I use with win 8 Windows essentials 2012 it gives you windows live mail which will handle your pop3 accounts

Yes, Microsoft don't tell you that the mail app won't work with POP3 accounts Sad. I too downloaded Windows essentials 2012 and it works fine - although I had problems installing it. It kept on coming up with error codes. I thankfully managed to get it to load after a couple of stressful hours.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.