Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Windows 8 mail problems

Phil_Restan e2
9 280 9 Scotland
21 Jan 2013 8:07AM
@ jestertheclown

Although it is a desktop application it can be configured to send and receive gmail, I haven't used it for Hotmail but maybe that as well.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2013 10:16AM

Quote:I only use webmail. It works on anything.

I also much prefer Hotmail as a webmail client - even though i have windows 8. It better as folders and reminders etc are easier to see.
Does BTinternet have a webclient you like using?

I also mostly use the Google chrome browser - never tried thunderbird, though sound good above.
Camairish e2
9 1.3k Scotland
27 Jan 2013 9:32PM
Thanks to all - eventually shut everything down, re started & successfully installed Thunderbird which is working well. I know the new Windows 8 look is the way most interfaces are going but for me (who never touches his computer screen for any reason) it's another learning curve just to be able to keep doing what the old OS did perfectly well. Enough to make one think about apples.....
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
28 Jan 2013 5:56AM

Quote: I know the new Windows 8 look is the way most interfaces are going but for me (who never touches his computer screen for any reason) it's another learning curve just to be able to keep doing what the old OS did perfectly well.

You really don't need to bother with most of that learning curve. Go into desktop and you have a fully functioning copy of Windows 7, except the start menu is now full-screen.
If you pin everything you regularly use to the taskbar it is really easy to forget whether you are 7 or 8...I don't think I have used the start menu on my PC for about 3 weeks, so it is no different to when it was running Windows 7 AFAICS
Jestertheclown
6 6.6k 242 England
28 Jan 2013 5:10PM
Agreed.

I tried to like the tiles interface and to be fair, I rather do and I'd probably use it all of the time but whenever I close a window, the machine defaults back to the 'old' desktop, requiring a further click in the bottom corner to change to the tiles again so, unsurprisingly, I can't be arsed.

If you want a start menu, there are several options available.
3 Feb 2013 12:05PM

Quote:This is what I use with win 8 Windows essentials 2012 it gives you windows live mail which will handle your pop3 accounts

Yes, Microsoft don't tell you that the mail app won't work with POP3 accounts Sad. I too downloaded Windows essentials 2012 and it works fine - although I had problems installing it. It kept on coming up with error codes. I thankfully managed to get it to load after a couple of stressful hours.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.