Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows Live Mail - message!!!!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    BrianSS
    BrianSS  7281 forum posts England35 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2012 - 8:36 AM

I use Windows Live Mail and occasionally I get a message box saying, "We have noticed some unusual activity in your account. Your action is needed to make sure no one else is using your account". To continue click OK. There is the option to click OK or Cancel.

Needlesss to say I always click cancel.

Has anyone else had this message?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    5 Dec 2012 - 8:36 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

joshwa
    joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4603 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
    5 Dec 2012 - 9:06 AM

Hi,

You could check with your ISP or email provider to see if there have been any changes.

Alternatively you could use Thunderbird as a free email client.
    I tried to get Windows Live Mail setup for a family member as their main email client, and they found it extremely limiting regarding contacts management particularly with problems with groups.

HTH (Hope that helps)

Thanks
    Josh

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53667 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    5 Dec 2012 - 9:37 AM

I'm assuming you are on a PC running Windows XP?

Is your windows updates updated http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us
    Is your antivirus upto date - what is it?
    Microsoft and other do free ones - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/security-essentials-download

If its after you have been generally surfing for a while then i'd distrust it and assume its either a clever web page trick of something hidden on your PC, if its just occasionally there as you say then i'd also distrust it.
    If it was here every time you went to Live mail, just after a reboot, then i may be tempted to start clicking OK, BUT very closely watch to see what wants to run and where its coming from - but this would be a real last resort of lots of virus checks with al least 2 viruse checkers.

Another on-line checker i'd trust is http://housecall.trendmicro.com/uk/

Good luck.

BubbaG2000
    5 Dec 2012 - 9:47 AM

I have had that, but not as a message within Windows Live Mail.
    What I would do is log directly into your email on a web browser. I believe it's outlook.com these days.
    They tell you directly if someone's been tampering.

BEVZED
    BEVZED e2 Member 71140 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
    5 Dec 2012 - 10:12 AM

I've had similar from my btinternet, 'suspicious activity' etc - please click here - as ifTongue Cancelled the lot! I sent myself a few emails from that address to a disposable address and they all came through flagged as dangerous.
    I downloaded (one by one!) loads of different virus progs and checked my whole system for days and couldn't find anything at all. After about 2 weeks it all stopped as mysteriously a it had begun.

BrianSS
    5 Dec 2012 - 11:04 AM

Thanks folks for your replies.

The message now appears each time I switch on my PC and yes it's XP.

I will try your suggestions.

I use Virgin media security. I have just downloaded Microsoft security that JackAllTog suggested and it now says my PC is protected.

User_Removed
    5 Dec 2012 - 11:13 AM

Running local anti virus programs won't spot the problem if someone is using your email account from another computer which is what the message suggests.

When was the last time you changed your password for Windows Live Mail?

BrianSS
    5 Dec 2012 - 11:14 AM

When was the last time you changed your password for Windows Live Mail? A long time ago!

User_Removed
    5 Dec 2012 - 11:28 AM

You need to change it.

If hackers have it they can use your Windows Live Mail account for as much suspicious activity as they want and it won't stop them no matter how many security programs you install on your computer, or even if you destroyed your computer, it would all still be done in your name. Same with Bevzed.

BrianSS
    5 Dec 2012 - 11:45 AM

Thanks, I have just changed my password! Grin

Last Modified By BrianSS at 5 Dec 2012 - 12:35 PM
    BEVZED
    BEVZED e2 Member 71140 forum postsBEVZED vcard United Kingdom
    5 Dec 2012 - 1:08 PM

Thank Chris. Yup, changed mine 3 times in the 2 weeks it was going on. Checked and checked that nothing had crept in past my normal programs, I still send from that account to my disposable one and haven't had the alerts for a few days now. Hopefully it's all clear.

BrianSS
    5 Dec 2012 - 2:00 PM

Since changing my password the same pop up box still appeared after rebooting my PC!

User_Removed
    5 Dec 2012 - 3:52 PM

Brian, as there has been a change of password they are perhaps even keener now to check that you're the proper account holder. It's a genuine message and it comes up when Windows Live Messenger / MSN Messenger starts http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111109113157AANCeCa

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.