Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Windows XP - Microsoft security warning re Adobe reader.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
polis_928tadw59

Today's Computer Active Magazine has an article - " Microsoft warns of alarming new security flaws in XP" It states that anyone running XP with Adobe Reader 9.5.4, 10.1.6, and 11.0.02 and PRIOR versions should update Adobe Reader immediately.

A relative has an Acer Aspire laptop running XP, and the Adobe is shown as XI, - is this the same version as 11.0.02 (shown above) ?

But, leading on from that, re the Acer laptop, it has the sticker on it showing " Designed for Windows XP. Windows Vista Capable."

I run Windows Vista on my Dell laptop, and I still have the 4-5 discs which came with it when new. Can I install Windows Vista on the Acer laptop by using those discs ?

Hoping someone can advise me re this matter.

As a P.S. to this, my first use of a computer has been with Vista, so that is the only one I have been used to. But, having been exploring XP on the Acer over the last 2-3 days, I find that the XP is much slower than Vista; possibly that could be due to the age of the Acer, apparently new in 2005.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
11 Dec 2013 - 6:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

redsnappa
redsnappa  111879 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Dec 2013 - 6:43 PM

Wow, do people still use Adobe reader?

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85744 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2013 - 6:57 PM

Quote: Wow, do people still use Adobe reader?

I work for the largest construction company in the UK and we still do, as do all our associates

Jestertheclown
11 Dec 2013 - 7:11 PM

The current version, which must be XI, mine updated the other day and I doubt if it updated to anything other than the most recent, is the best PDF reader I've used for ages.

franken
franken e2 Member 112917 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2013 - 8:31 PM

Microsoft are working on a security patch apparently.

Ken

Jestertheclown
11 Dec 2013 - 9:42 PM

The biggest problem with XP is not that there's anything actually wrong with it; it's just got old and is so far out of date, that it's beyond realistically saving.
If MS had brought it into the 21st. century, I'd still be quite happily using it.
As it is, all support is to cease next April, or so we're told, after which, presumably, it really will become susceptible to attack from nasties.
It does seem though, that an enormous number of, apparently very important, people, banks and other serious operations are still using it. Which begs the question: how much longer can it soldier on . . . ?

To answer your question Polis, re. those installation discs; I'd have to say that theoretically, it probably won't, or at least shouldn't, work because the licence number that came with them has already been used on your current machine.
Having said that, I used a re-installation XP disc for my Dell on an old computer that I'd rescued from the school where I used to work (it came loaded with Windows 98) and using my (already used) licence I was able to instal it and it worked fine.

Depending upon what use the Acer is likely to get, Linux isn't a bad alternative.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 11 Dec 2013 - 9:43 PM
redsnappa
redsnappa  111879 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Dec 2013 - 9:43 PM

Quote: Microsoft are working on a security patch apparently.

Why would Microsoft work on a security patch for an Adobe product?

franken
franken e2 Member 112917 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
11 Dec 2013 - 9:47 PM

Quote: Microsoft are working on a security patch apparently.
Why would Microsoft work on a security patch for an Adobe product?

They're not they are working on the loophole in XP as it only applies to it..

Last Modified By franken at 11 Dec 2013 - 9:49 PM
franken
11 Dec 2013 - 9:56 PM

More info here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25152328

Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
11 Dec 2013 - 10:52 PM

Don't you mean "Wow, do people still use Windows XP?"

Wink

The answer to "Can I install Vista from my disks?" is "Not legally".

The better answer is "Not if you like the person." Vista sucks. Put Windows 7 on there.

polis_928tadw59
12 Dec 2013 - 11:46 AM

Thanks for the majority of replies which have been helpful; and the point Jestertheclown made, re licence no. having been used, might make installation on the Acer invalid. Not being too computer wise, there was something along that line in my mind. One friend stated give the discs a try, the Acer may just end up 'rejecting' the installation, and no harm would be done to the laptop.

Having learned on Vista and the only OS I have used I have had very little problems with it. But being only savvy with XP over 3-4 days, and still finding my way around, I prefer Vista to XP.

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 63201 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2013 - 2:54 PM

Quote: I prefer Vista to XP.

I think you must be the only one who does.
Vista was a backward step for Microsoft. Most people I know who had it replaced it with XP.

davidburleson
davidburleson ePHOTOzine Staff 72236 forum postsdavidburleson vcard United Kingdom
12 Dec 2013 - 3:08 PM

I prefer Win7 to XP. Considering that Microsoft is also going to drop support for XP in April, I imagine many other software providers will do the same.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/end-support-help

Last Modified By davidburleson at 12 Dec 2013 - 3:08 PM
Big Bri
Big Bri  1215507 forum posts England
12 Dec 2013 - 7:03 PM

Windows 7 is everything Vista should have been. And pretty much ANY PC runs better on Windows 7 that any previous version of Windows....

newfocus
newfocus  7644 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Dec 2013 - 12:28 AM

Totally agree. 7 is miles ahead of Vista, in fact it's almost as good as XP was.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.