Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Winner $50,000

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

john thompson
4 Nov 2012 - 9:40 PM

Discuss

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
4 Nov 2012 - 9:40 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
4 Nov 2012 - 9:49 PM

Frankly..??

Crap.

And THAT is the challenge we all face today.

Smile

DerekL
DerekL e2 Member 9100 forum postsDerekL vcard England23 Constructive Critique Points
4 Nov 2012 - 9:55 PM

Is it 1st April?
I hate to think what the other photos were like.

MrGoatsmilk
4 Nov 2012 - 9:58 PM

Am I missing something? The photos I just saw actually won? WTF?

john thompson
4 Nov 2012 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Gents my thoughts exactly

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
4 Nov 2012 - 10:29 PM

Ah..... But it is art, and art is in the eye of beholder.
I can't tell you what my eyes see though....lol

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
4 Nov 2012 - 10:32 PM

bewildering.................but there is more here which might explain it............

monstersnowman
4 Nov 2012 - 10:35 PM

Yep, we will get this more often, the more photography becomes part of the contemporary 'art' world. - one reason why I am happy to see it as a craft rather than 'art' form, even though I do accept it is an art. Anyone can be an artist but only someone with talent can be a craftsman despite the art being more elitist and valued ..... Hmmmm

teepee
teepee  11633 forum posts England
4 Nov 2012 - 10:51 PM

Maybe the judges are Piss artists?

john thompson
4 Nov 2012 - 11:02 PM

Perhaps the judges have dogs and white sticks

bigalguitarpicker

Looks like an interesting concept to me. I often think there's a reverse snobbery involved in scoffing at some art work, but then again, some art work is so rareified, you'd wonder what on Earth is going on. Think Damien Hirst, Tracey Emin, Jeff Koons, Roy Lichenstein etc. The work illustrated here is a body of work conceived and worked on over a period of time, and is I think deserving of a little bit of study rather than ignorant abuse. A couple of things come to mind - a Schweppes winner a couple of years ago was a snap of a little girl holding a baby bundled in a blanket in front of a rundown building which looked like a tenement. That won a portraiture competition. The other was something along the lines of "A Day at the Seaside" and showed two elderly ladies wearing Macs and Rainmates, standing in a bus shelter in the pouring rain. The photographer himself said he was surprised to win. A few years ago in Sligo, the Iontas Open Art competition was won by a photograph of a tatty folding bed with a tatty mattress on it. The tattymattress had been slashed with a Stanley knife and a teddy bear was shoved up into the slash with it's head poking up. Total crap. That was adjudged the winner by the curator of a museum in Madrid. Who was flown in to judge the competition and flown out again before her results were announced. Don't abuse the artist, abuse the judges instead? I notice that the lady in question in this thread won by virtue of a public vote. Something must have looked good!

monstersnowman

Sometimes I think reverse snobbery can accurately be described as the 'Emperor's clothes' effect .. When some people look beyond an accolade or art world recognition and are grounded enough to see things for what they are and see them as they would be seen in any other normal environment had any one of us pitched up with such images ...

The virtues of a public vote also don't attract automatic validity from me as they are open to as much abuse as statistics ... dependent on manipulation of many kinds. The clique system, and vote pimping and click whoring that goes on everywhere by some more than others, not to mention the expectations of the voting public to conform to the type of image they are preconditioned to expect to see in such surroundings of national contemporary art awards ... Unconventionally lit, awkward, badly composed, odd tones, mundane, miserable, etc etc .. And certainly no well lit, colourful, happy, well composed images .. Lol .. Far too mainstream ..

As far as a concept goes .. I would rather see one good image than a hundred good 'concepts' ... I have thought of many concepts that never may produce good images .. Concepts are an idea, images are the practical application of what one wants to achieve. Most of us won't even be given the benefit of having the ability of conceiving a concept worth any scrutiny or recognition unless we have some acceptance in the world of art already.

Also don't be too quick to write off the ordinary man's disdain for art in prestigious surroundings as merely 'scoffing' because of the presumption that the prestigious establishment know better or have a more educated and objective view .. That is a case of snobbery in as clear an example as can be.

Also your use of the judgement 'total crap' about some work you mentioned is as opinionated and subjective as any here on the award winners discussed so it shows we all equally have, and are entitled to have an opinion, however, biased, snobbish, subjective or educated ....

Personally most awards achieve nothing and teach us nothing ..... And like newspapers, are tomorrow's chip paper.

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 5 Nov 2012 - 3:55 AM
Nigeyboy
Nigeyboy  6536 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 - 9:06 AM

Isn't it obvious? The person bending over is a representation of serious photographers everywhere, trying to make a living from their profession . . . . the position the person is in indicates quite a lot dont you think? Wink Tongue

779HOB
779HOB  2999 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Nov 2012 - 12:27 PM

As far as I can see it's not the two photos that have won but the collections they are part of, isn't that right? If so, then I think they are interesting collections and good photographs too. Better than anything I do produce. If it's the two stand-a-lone photos then I think she has better in the collections.

Scutter
Scutter e2 Member 61742 forum postsScutter vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
5 Nov 2012 - 12:51 PM

Quote: As far as I can see it's not the two photos that have won but the collections they are part of, isn't that right? If so, then I think they are interesting collections and good photographs too. Better than anything I do produce. If it's the two stand-a-lone photos then I think she has better in the collections.

agreed; hence my link above puts it into context.............................................(I quite like whippets - having three of them!)Wink

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.