Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Winter Comfort Food

StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
10 Jan 2012 10:50PM
Emerill Legasse's Pea Soup. 1st place winner;

Split Pea Soup

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
2 cups chopped yellow onions
teaspoon salt
teaspoon pepper
teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 bay leaf
1 pound dried green or yellow split peas picked over and rinsed
8 cups chicken broth
1 cup milk
1.2 teaspoon hot sauce
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onions, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the garlic bay leaf and split peas, and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the broth and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes, until the peas are tender.

Remove from the heat and let cool slightly. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Add the milk and, using a handheld immersion blender, (or in a regular blender in batches), process until smooth. Add the hot sauce and serve hot.

Makes about 8 servings.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog e2
5 4.0k 58 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2012 12:54PM
Wow - Chicken broth, garlic and peas - Perfect.
I wonder is you could shorten the cooking time with washed frozen peas instead - good use of milk not cream to keep it quite healthy.

I might serve it with herb croutons or even tiny squares of fired crisp bacon. mmm
Billlee 8 5.5k England
11 Jan 2012 4:40PM

Quote:Wow - Chicken broth, garlic and peas - Perfect.

I might serve it with ......................... tiny squares of fired crisp bacon. mmm

I see you like your bacon well done !!
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
11 Jan 2012 7:51PM
I don't think using frozen or fresh peas will work. Please note that they are dried split peas. My wife has prepared this a number of times, and it is delicious, and depending on the amount of red chili flakes, and hot sauce you use, it'll warm the cockles of your heart, and other parts.Wink
RogBrown 7 3.0k 10 England
11 Jan 2012 9:55PM
What's hot sauce? Don't think we have that as such.
StrayCat e2
10 15.5k 2 Canada
11 Jan 2012 11:26PM
Your fav hot sauce Rog; Red Hot, or tabasco, etc.
15 Jan 2012 1:35PM
Mince and dumplings; Stovie; Meat loaf - mince, onions, peppers. Minced lamb pasty; Cornbeef stew; Stew and dumplings; Hotpot; Liver and bacon done in oven with onions, and bread portions, with lashings of Worcs. sauce; Mince and tetties; Leek pudding, served with mince; Lamb chops done in oven with onion rings and tomatoes on top; Mince Cobbler; Teviotdale Pie;

I could go on and on, but all we are having today is roast beef with Yorkshire puds, etc.Sad
19 Jan 2012 8:15PM
Has nobody got any BETTER suggestions, please ? I have enjoyed all the above in the last week and am getting fed up. Please , what about Heinz Tomato soup with cream crackers ?
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
19 Jan 2012 8:50PM
Chilli and Coriander Omelette, washed down with a decent pint Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.