Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wireless flash

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
ChrisJP
ChrisJP  6630 forum posts Wales
23 Feb 2011 - 9:49 AM

I have a Canon 350D and a 300TL flash from a T90 also an old Vivitar 283. Whilst I realise that I cannot use either mounted on the 350D hotshoe can I use an independant wireless trigger, one on camera and the flash on the other, with the flash on a bracket attached to the tripod bush?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
23 Feb 2011 - 9:49 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
23 Feb 2011 - 9:57 AM

I did not realise that Canons were so backward-incompatible. I would have imagined that you could use any older Canon flash plus most generic non-Canon flashes on your hotshoe, albeit that some of the automatic exposure functions may not fully operate.

Certainly I can use a 30 year old Sunpak flash on my Nikon dSLRs' hotshoes and, conversely, use a modern Nikon SB600 flash on my old FM2n 35mm film camera.

Mind you, we "oldies" were well accustomed to doing guide number calculations.

Last Modified By User_Removed at 23 Feb 2011 - 9:59 AM
User_Removed
23 Feb 2011 - 9:58 AM

...having said that, of course, remote triggers are a good idea anyway for using flash off-camera.

RogBrown
RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 9:59 AM

Do NOT use old flashguns on digital cameras! Apparently the voltages (or something) are different & can fry your camera's electronics.

User_Removed
23 Feb 2011 - 10:07 AM

Quote: Do NOT use old flashguns on digital cameras! Apparently the voltages (or something) are different & can fry your camera's electronics.

Nikon don't flag this up as a potential problem and Ken Rockwell (much despised on this Forum, I know) OK's it.

But maybe check out with Canon themselves before risking it.

RogBrown
RogBrown e2 Member 72987 forum postsRogBrown vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 10:21 AM

There's been loads of threads on here about it. Try a Forum search.

RogBrown
23 Feb 2011 - 10:24 AM

Here's one.

ChrisJP
23 Feb 2011 - 12:05 PM

Thanks, but unfortunately that doesn't answer the question about using these 'older' flashguns on a wireless remote. I know I cannot use them on camera.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 12:07 PM

There is no reason not to use an old flashgun as a remote Chris. It may just take a little more work to get the exposure right as you will probably have to drive the flash manually.

Ian

RogBrown
23 Feb 2011 - 12:16 PM

My comments were mainly directed to LeftForum who appears to be using an old Sunpak on his DSLR.

digicammad
digicammad e2 Member 1021988 forum postsdigicammad vcard United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 12:19 PM

My comments were mainly directed at the original question. Grin

Mayfly
Mayfly  8485 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 12:46 PM

I use some old Sunpak Auto 4000 heads with a set of ishoot radio triggers. I picked them up from Amazon at a cost of about 30 quid. The Sunpak's can push out 350-400 volts whereas most modern Cameras run (trigger)at 6volts (ish).

The ishoot triggers are rated at 12 volts max but as they were fairly inexpensive (got two rx and 1 tx in the set) I thought it would be ok to risk one rx getting fried.

Pleased to say that I have been using the set to trigger the Sunpaks off camera remotely for over a year with no probs at all. I get the odd missfire, maybe 1 in 100 frames which for the cost I find acceptable.

Look them up it may be a cheap solution, they would probably work with your Vivitar 285 and 300 TL.

Andy.

JackAllTog
JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
23 Feb 2011 - 12:50 PM

Quote: I have a Canon 350D and a 300TL flash from a T90 also an old Vivitar 283. Whilst I realise that I cannot use either mounted on the 350D hotshoe can I use an independant wireless trigger, one on camera and the flash on the other, with the flash on a bracket attached to the tripod bush?

Radio triggers can get expensive 20 to 200, also you may take a look at optical slave triggers of line of sight from one flash to another is possibe.

ChrisJP
23 Feb 2011 - 12:55 PM

Thanks. Reason I was asking is 'cause I'm too tight/can't afford a dedicated flash gun and I have these two lying around unused. Thought if i could use a wireless release then at least I could put them to use again. Just worried that I might fry the wireless units due to the trigger voltages. Seen a couple on Amazon for under 20.

66tricky
66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
23 Feb 2011 - 1:11 PM

Quote: Do NOT use old flashguns on digital cameras! Apparently the voltages (or something) are different & can fry your camera's electronics.

Nikon don't flag this up as a potential problem and Ken Rockwell (much despised on this Forum, I know) OK's it.

But maybe check out with Canon themselves before risking it.

Vivitar 283s had a "shocking" trigger voltage (c 300V) and early models could quickly fry a dSLR. Indeed, the hight TV was also known to burn out the flash trigger contacts on many film SLRs. Avoid unless you trigger wirelessly. Great flash units but not healthy for today's gear unless you know it's a later model or has been modified to lower the trigger voltage.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.