Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

wireless printer recomendations

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    mrdf
    mrdf  7 England
    10 Aug 2013 - 10:11 PM

Hi all, my old canon printer has finally died. Picture quality was excellent, but looking to go wireless now so would be grateful for your recommendations. Main priority is print quality, also a all in one. Thanks for your help
    Regards,

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    10 Aug 2013 - 10:11 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MichaelMelb_AU
    11 Aug 2013 - 1:17 AM

Printer choice these days is limited by only your budget and imagination. When I needed a new printer recently I went for one of top Canon inkjet all-in-ones. As for me - it's my home printing centre with WIFI and (optional) cloud connectivity, ability to print from everything - iPad tablet and smartphones included, film scanning, fantastic image printing, scanning to PDF ( with text recognition!) and even direct print from photographic film - if necessary. It was expensive - but works great, does not look out of place in my lounge room, uses reasonably cheap inks and is the best match to my Canon cameras.
    I don't give you the model because they tend to change very often and may have different numbers in different countries (Japanese fashion I think) - but Canon MG family printers are definitely worth a look.

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111916 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Aug 2013 - 1:59 PM

I bought a Canon Pixma MG5350 last week as my 8 year old pixma ip5000 that had been run on nothing but compatible inks had died.

I chose the MG5350 as there were several features I required (duplex printing on plain paper, ability to print to print on heavyweight photo paper and wireless printing. The MG5350 ticked all boxes.

Cartridges are an issue, first of all they hold less ink than the older model of canon printers and they are more costly.

Print quality however is superb

Jestertheclown
    11 Aug 2013 - 2:04 PM

Quote: Cartridges are an issue, first of all they hold less ink than the older model of canon printers and they are more costly.

My old Epson's starting to play up and I'd looked at the MG5350 as a replacement but the cost of ink, by comparison to what I'm currently paying, is outrageous.
    If I can find somewhere that can supply realistically priced compatibles though, I'll probably go for it.

Edit: I think I might have found what I'm looking for.
    It's the same company that I'm using now, albeit via Amozon.

Last Modified By Jestertheclown at 11 Aug 2013 - 2:07 PM
    guidoa
    guidoa  121331 forum posts United Kingdom
    11 Aug 2013 - 2:41 PM

I have used jet tec for years on my Pixma 4800 and the quality is excellent and the cartridges very cheap

Umberto_Vanni
    Umberto_Vanni e2 Member 9365 forum postsUmberto_Vanni vcard Scotland
    11 Aug 2013 - 4:40 PM

I purchased a Canon MG5450 with a 30 cash back so i effectively paid about 50 for it. As Jester says, its the price of ink that is outrageous but compatible inks are starting to come out now.

LensYews
    LensYews  51304 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Aug 2013 - 7:13 PM

Quote: I purchased a Canon MG5450 with a 30 cash back so i effectively paid about 50 for it. As Jester says, its the price of ink that is outrageous but compatible inks are starting to come out now.

The non-environmentally friendly option here is to buy a new printer when then inks run out, instead of buying replacement ink as its often cheaper now.

justin c
    justin c  104526 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
    11 Aug 2013 - 11:08 PM

Quote: The non-environmentally friendly option here is to buy a new printer when then inks run out, instead of buying replacement ink as its often cheaper now.

Not an option if you use custom icc profiles though as it would mean getting new profiles made every time the printer was replaced.

Jestertheclown
    11 Aug 2013 - 11:13 PM

Quote: The non-environmentally friendly option here is to buy a new printer when then inks run out, instead of buying replacement ink as its often cheaper now.

Another problem with that approach is that the inks that are supplied with the printer are, supposedly, usually half empty and only intended to get you started.

MichaelMelb_AU
    11 Aug 2013 - 11:28 PM

I actually have two printers - one Canon MG series and another Brother printer. Wireless Canon sits in my lounge room and is used for fine jobs, and Brother prints everything else and is connected to computer with cable. I use third party inks only with Brother. Large cartridges, cheap - no problem. I tried to use non-genuine cartridges with Canon. It tolerates generic inks well - but quality of image print wishes because color profile changes dramatically.

Last Modified By MichaelMelb_AU at 11 Aug 2013 - 11:28 PM
    mrdf
    mrdf  7 England
    13 Aug 2013 - 7:01 PM

Thanks to all for your opinions, it looks like canon is the way to go.
    Regards,

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.