Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Wireless printing

digicammad e2
11 22.0k 37 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 8:34AM
I'm looking for options for wireless printing to a USB printer to support:

- iPhone
- iPad
- Android phone
- Windows 7 laptop

Can anybody recommend a single device which will work with that mix?

Cheers

Ian

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 10 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 8:37AM
You can get any printer to work with that setup if you can use a service like this which should support all of your stuff.
lobsterboy e2
11 14.3k 13 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2012 8:52AM
Ohh Cloud print looks good. I assume you will need a way of making the USB printer wireless too - this might be useful .
digicammad e2
20 Nov 2012 8:54AM
Interesting idea Chris, but I don't use Chrome and the printer is USB only, so I would still need some sort of wireless printer server. I'm not fussed about being able to print when I am not in the same country as the printer so am just looking for more of a traditional wireless server which will support those platforms.

Cheers

Ian
20 Nov 2012 8:59AM
Ian you don't have to use Chrome, if you read the link fully you'll see there's more to it.
digicammad e2
20 Nov 2012 9:06AM
This was the bit I was reading Chris

Quote:To connect your classic printer, enable the Google Cloud Print connector using a Windows, Mac, or Linux computer that's connected to the printer. However, it won't work if you plug it into a Chrome device. You'll need Google Chrome to be installed on the computer

It also looks as if the desktop needs to be on for it to work, which I want to avoid.

My ideal scenario would be a print server which connected directly into my router, didn't need PC software and supported all the platforms I mentioned. I'm sure there must be one out there but I haven't found it yet and that HP one won't support my printer.

Cheers folks.
20 Nov 2012 9:09AM
You won't be plugging your printer into a Chrome device (Google's MacBook Air lookalike) so ignore that bit.

Read this bit http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/apps.html

I do agree you need a wireless printer that connects to your router that you can print to over the internet. Even when you find the printer I think you're going to need something like Cloud Print to get it working with all your devices.
digicammad e2
20 Nov 2012 9:30AM
It wasn't the Chrome Device bit Chris, it was the final sentence which says you need Chrome installed. I've also seen another article which says the PC needs to be on, which also tends to suggest that it is a Chrome app on the PC which controls it.

The Airport Express looks interesting but I've not found anything which says it definitely supports printing from Android.
20 Nov 2012 12:22PM
Why do you want to do it Ian?

Is it not easier to print to pdf and email those home for physical hard copy printing later when you're actually there? Why do they need to be printed remotely in real time?
digicammad e2
20 Nov 2012 1:37PM
It isn't remote printing I want Chris just wireless, but ideally I want a way that will support multiple platforms and not depend upon me having the PC on. Robbie uses her iPad much more than the PC these days and I tend to do everything on the laptop, so wireless is where I want to be. There is a chance I may end up with an Android tablet for work and so want to factor that in (Robbie also has an Android phone).

Just trying to cover all bases really.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.