Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wireless triggers for off camera flash?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
tatkinson1983
29 Oct 2007 - 10:05 PM

i've been looking into triggering my flash wireless for the past few weeks. i orginally looked at gadget infinity v2 remotes
][/link] which are cheap, cheerful and getting good review though not 100% reliable, but i'm not pro so would'nt need them to be.
then i've looked at the ST-E2 Speedlite Transmitter which i'm guessing only work with speedlight flashes.
i've got a canon eos 400d and a sigma ef-500 dg super flash.
what are peoples opinions on wireless set ups, have i missed some options, anyone here got the V2 things?
cheers, Tim.
p.s i have been using flash in slave mode but i dont want to use on board flash to trigger.

Last Modified By tatkinson1983 at 29 Oct 2007 - 10:07 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Oct 2007 - 10:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

steve_kershaw
29 Oct 2007 - 10:26 PM

apparently there is about a 20% failure out of the box, but the company is good at sending a free replacement, and they are so cheap you can always order a spare
also herd of problems at higher shutter speeds

the st will only work with the canon speed lights, and you will loose the e-ttl with any other transmitter

pro triggers (pocket wizard) cost around 400 a pair

you get what you pay for, but for light use does it really matter if you loose the odd flash?

Steve

tatkinson1983
29 Oct 2007 - 10:43 PM

well thats what i was thinking, my pocket wizard would be nice but they cost similar to what i got my camera for.
much rather get something cheaper until i can justify the cash involved. as you say, buy pocket wizards and set for life i guess.
doesn't seem to be anything with good review in between really.

IanA
IanA  103048 forum posts England12 Constructive Critique Points
29 Oct 2007 - 10:50 PM

Have you tried using the 500 super in slave mode with the on-board firing it at -2 stops or more if available on the 400D?
At those sort of settings, the on-board is likely to have very little effect!

Ian

tatkinson1983
29 Oct 2007 - 11:17 PM

thats what i'm doing at the moment which is producing some nice images. I'll mainly be using wireless set up for biking images of friends and i don't want interferance from friends cameras etc.
Looks like I'll keeping doing as you suggested for now and see how the V2 triggers hold up.
thanks for the ideas so far,
Tim

theorderingone
30 Oct 2007 - 1:05 AM

Quote: Have you tried using the 500 super in slave mode with the on-board firing it at -2 stops or more if available on the 400D?
At those sort of settings, the on-board is likely to have very little effect!

Unless the 400d has a manual setting for the built in flash (not just compensation, actual 1/2 power settings, etc) then this will not work as the E-TTL pre-flashes will trigger the slave flash too early.

I've used some of the generic triggers you can get off ebay before and they were horribly unreliable. I now use the Nikon CLS system which works really well, except in very bright sunlight.

This works in a similar way to the ST-E2, and I know the Nikon version of the Sigma flash supports Nikon CLS, (after a fashion) so it may be worth asking Sigma themselves for details to see if they're compatible.

There's a blog written by an american photographer, which contains shed loads of information about wireless flash with small strobes. there is also a group based on a popular photo-sharing associated with the blog, which contains plenty more info.

I'm not sure I can link to it due to this site's T&Cs, but if you google 'lighting 101' the blog should be the first thing that comes up.

Hope this helps. Smile

MeanGreeny
30 Oct 2007 - 8:30 AM

The Strobist

The Strobists Lighting 101

Last Modified By MeanGreeny at 30 Oct 2007 - 8:33 AM
Life
Life  7
30 Oct 2007 - 10:42 AM

I'm using the ebay triggers to fire a 430EX + 2x Vivitar 283's. I haven't had any real problems as yet and as an ealier poster said I got an extra trigger and receiver just in case.

They are so cheap I also got lightstands, umbrellas, and flash gun's for less than a pair of Pocket Wizards.

Also you can use most flash guns (my Viv's are second hand), which is a cheaper option to Canon speedlites.

T

User_Removed
30 Oct 2007 - 10:48 AM

I also use the cheap ebay 4 channel triggers - so cheap and work to trigger studio lights as well. I have four 4 channel ones and as long as you set the channel to ON position very rarely get any problems - of course only can be used manually but thats more fun!!!
Neal

TomHarper
TomHarper  5 Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2009 - 4:27 PM

I am also looking into off camra flash but a little confused as to what equipment does what. I like the look of the pocket wizards but its not clear if I need one or two of them. As I read the literature it seems that a single pocket wizard II will trigger a slave flashgun but it does not say this exactly, does anyone know if it will trigger a canon 430EX or 580EX flash gun.

The other question I have is I know that the 580 will trigger the 430 but does it do this with TTL or only manul mode is available. Also anyone know how good this system is in terms of reliability, range of the signal and when used not in line of sight.

andytvcams
andytvcams  1110396 forum posts United Kingdom
3 Mar 2009 - 8:11 PM

The new pocket wizards
will do TTL.

steve_kershaw
3 Mar 2009 - 11:04 PM

tom
the 580 will trigger the 430 with tttl or manual,
the ste2 trancmitter will triger both with ettl, though both rely on the canon crap infared syetem, that is ok for indors and line of site use,

the new pocket wizard that Andy suggested looks the dogs bolloXXs, and will give you full ttl and an extra stop to boot, though if we see them in the uk before the end of the year i will be surprised,

I have 6 PWIIs and they are great, but you only have manual mode, this is the same for all the radio triggers,

you will need 1 pocket wizard for your camera and then one for each flash unit, you will also need a flash unit adaptor for the 430 and 530ex units (ok with the 530 exII)

TomHarper
TomHarper  5 Scotland2 Constructive Critique Points
3 Mar 2009 - 11:11 PM

Thanks for the info. I think the two canon speedlights will probably keep me busy until the new pocket wizard arrives in the UK. I did see a press release saying they would be in UK by the end of April but will beleive it when I see it.

steve_kershaw
3 Mar 2009 - 11:23 PM

the radio popper will give ttl for the canon system, and is available now, personally i would wait for the new PW, as you will get the extra stop, and the ability to control any strobe/speed light via a conventional PW

samfurlong
3 Mar 2009 - 11:28 PM

Absolubtly, wait for the new pocketwizards. I have had my paws on a couple of pre production samples and managed to use them on a couple of jobs and they are brilliant. I already have a pre order in even though I have no idea of the price.
I have use the pocketwizards multimax units for a long time and they only work in manual mode so I did have a go with the radiopoppers a while back but they are far too fiddly to setup and then they keep screwing up, I was really not impressed by them.

Last Modified By samfurlong at 3 Mar 2009 - 11:30 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.