Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Wooton Bassett

User_Removed 7 485 13 England
14 Jul 2009 6:10PM
spent an hour earlier watching the return of the 8 dead soldiers returning from Afghanistan on Sky News, and was truly moved by the people of Wooton Bassett for the turn out they gave these heroes.

They should be applauded for turning out in their thousands to line the route. As an ex-soldier i know what things like this can do for moral so well done to all the people in that town.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MrsS 8 4.5k 18 England
14 Jul 2009 6:44PM
My Dad lives in Wootton Bassett, David, as do some other members of my family. I know they will really appreciate your comments, which I shall pass on next time we speak.

Fran x
User_Removed 7 485 13 England
14 Jul 2009 6:48PM
please do Fran they are a credit, and an example to other towns across the country that have had pretty poor turn outs for returning troops

rgds
Dave
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
14 Jul 2009 7:14PM
Please pass on my thanks too Fran.

I did three tours at Lyneham and used to live in Wootton Bassett in the early 80's.

The whole town does themselves proud everytime a dead military person travels through it and I would like to thank the whole town for showing the Country how to pay respects to those who have given their lives for this Country.
montechoro 12 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
14 Jul 2009 7:15PM
It is very moving to see the people of Wooton Bassett pay their tributes in this fashion.
All credit to them and all those who attended.
14 Jul 2009 8:02PM
I believe that the town and its people should be given some sort of award for their never ending dedication to the returning Heroes. This cannot be an easy thing to do.

Mike.
wrinkles e2
5 351 United Kingdom
14 Jul 2009 9:36PM
It's a credit to the British spirit.
collywobles 10 3.3k 9 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2009 8:46AM
Nothing to add - i's all been said. Thanks to Wooton Bassett
paulcr 10 1.5k 9 Ireland
15 Jul 2009 9:43AM
Saw an ad on the tv yesterday for the english army... 16K after training! To go out and die at 18... hmm
jogennard 8 117 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2009 10:17AM

Quote:Saw an ad on the tv yesterday for the english army... 16K after training! To go out and die at 18... hmm

Well fortunately not everyone has your attitude...otherwise we wouldn't have such a fantastic armed forces. I don't think your comment was in very good taste.
wrinkles e2
5 351 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2009 10:44AM
The cost of War can never be repaid,the good Lord does not repay his debts with money.
yellowduke 6 303 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2009 10:48AM
As a serviceman and a Royal British Legion Member I echo the appreciation for the people of Wooton Bassett and their commendable actions in welcoming home the fallen.
gcarth e2
10 2.3k 1 United Kingdom
15 Jul 2009 12:04PM

Quote:Well fortunately not everyone has your attitude...otherwise we wouldn't have such a fantastic armed forces. I don't think your comment was in very good taste.
Maybe not good taste ...but the truth should come before good taste:
Surely the truth is that this is an unwinnable war and furthermore it is an immoral war because our UK and US political leaders encourage blanket bombing which includes innocent civilian victims.
This war is about US/western domination of the Afghanistan region and not just about the evil Taliban.
The Taliban were once courted by the US when it suited them.
The most important point is that the Taliban are no worse than many of the war lords and corrupt Karzai government officials that the coalition has helped to install. Our gutless politicians just follow the US and its wolf in sheep's clothing, Obama, in yet another insane war of immense tragedy and suffering for so many.
I would dearly like to see those politicians responsible for this war, and especially the one in Iraq, brought to justice along with the major players among Al Queda.
No soldier should have to go to war, except to defend their country from imminent invasion as in the second world war.
Of course, it could be argued that the ghastly gang of Hitler and his Nazis might not have come to power if the west had not driven ordinary Germans into poverty after the first World War by its over-harsh war reparations demands.
We simply never learn from history - even after two world wars and Vietnam - which makes all these deaths so utterly tragic and depressing.

Garth
paulcr 10 1.5k 9 Ireland
15 Jul 2009 1:05PM

Quote:Maybe not good taste ...but the truth should come before good taste:

Absolutely. There are people speaking out about this war but not enough.

Quote:Surely the truth is that this is an unwinnable war and furthermore it is an immoral war because our UK and US political leaders encourage blanket bombing which includes innocent civilian victims.

Again true. So my point is, why send your teenagers over to a country most of them never heard of before being sent there.
No other invading country in the history of Afghanistan has EVER been able to conduct a "successful" war there. its unwinnable.

Quote:No soldier should have to go to war, except to defend their country from imminent invasion as in the second world war.

I agree, and as such the Irish were perfectly entitled to defend their country from the invading english for many years.

Quote:The cost of War can never be repaid,the good Lord does not repay his debts with money.

The cost of war is innocent lives! if god existed there would be no wars.
Krakman 8 3.6k Scotland
15 Jul 2009 1:25PM
Hats off to the people of Wootton Bassett, and even more so to the soldiers they are honouring.

Quote:No other invading country in the history of Afghanistan has EVER been able to conduct a "successful" war there. its unwinnable.

The Soviet war in Afghanistan was pretty successful militarily. The problem was that, once they'd won the land, they couldn't hold it properly because of all the different factions of mujahideen (nowadays renamed the Taliban 'cos it all gets a bit confusing otherwise) who were fighting each other and using insurgency techniques (with support from the US) such as land mines causing steady losses to the Soviets. The problem wasn't so much grabbing the territory as holding it and governing it afterwards. The Soviets did their best to train up the Afghan army, and worked alongside them on patrols etc. In the end the Soviets were worn down by the steady attrition, handed over completely to the Afghan army and left.

Sounds just a little bit familiar?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.