Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wordpress Sites

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Carrera_c
    Carrera_c  5256 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Aug 2011 - 1:20 PM

I've currently got a Photium Site (carreraphotography.co.uk) and I've been playing with the idea of changing it over to a wordpress site, I've not really had a chance to get to grips with wordpress so I don't really know how suitable it is for photography sites. Has anyone used them and have any opinions?

Main reason I'm thinking of changing is that I don't think photium is giving me great value as I'm not using - and have no intention to use - any of their e-commerce functionality.

Any advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Aug 2011 - 1:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bangalicious
    25 Aug 2011 - 1:35 PM

Bookmarking. I too have recently just ended my photium account and looking for a site which allows a bit more user control over layouts etc.
    Cheers,
    Anil.

Carrera_c
    25 Aug 2011 - 8:12 PM

Sadly by the looks of it there doesn't seem to be anyone on here that's tried wordpress sites, will probably give it a go over the next few weeks/months, will post up my findings.

66tricky
    66tricky  7742 forum posts Scotland
    26 Aug 2011 - 1:25 AM

I'll be having a look at doing a WP photo site soon once I finish a few general WP sites I'm doing for various folk.

NevP
    NevP  9853 forum posts Canada13 Constructive Critique Points
    26 Aug 2011 - 6:49 AM

I use wordpress with a custom template and a zenfolio client back end with online print fullfillment, which seems to work OK. Definitely easier to update than using Dreamweaver.

Carrera_c
    30 Aug 2011 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for that NevP, site looks good.

I've just started up a Photo A Day wordpress site which I'm going to use for testing. The default free themes aren't really up to much so I will invest in a photography aimed premium theme pretty soon once I figure out which one I want to go for.

The photo a day site's here for anyone who's interested. Will post up findings on this threat occasionally as I find good themes to use, issues I run into, etc.

karl
    karl Site Moderator 11588 forum posts United Kingdom
    30 Aug 2011 - 9:30 PM

I'm really surprised that non of these off-the-peg photo gallery/sales sites don't allow you to upload a CSS file to customise the whole layout. Would be so simple for them to do and make their own job of creating templates a lot easier as well.

Wordpress is a great bit of kit - providing you absolutely keep it up to date and keep your plugins/themes up to date as well.

DianeH
    DianeH  1129 forum posts United Kingdom
    2 Sep 2011 - 5:35 PM

I don't think you can do much with the Wordpress blogging platform (wordpress.com, as used in your photo a day site) compared to the likes of Photium, but the Wordpress CMS (content management system) option (wordpress.org) is a better solution for sites that are not just blogs.

I did a lot of research when setting up my new website, moving from Photium to Clikpic initially and then finding that neither suited my needs exactly. I downloaded the wordpress.org files to my computer, and built a site offline to test the system. The biggest challenge was finding a template that offered the design and type of gallery I wanted. All the major template options supposedly geared towards photographers fell short by having to add a gallery plugin to the Wordpress template - and I would have thought that by offering a template purely for photographers, that a gallery would be one of the essential items to actually have built-in to the template. As it turned out, most of the gallery plugins also did not seem to be what I wanted, and some were decidedly difficult to figure out. And then some of the templates were a challenge too! Not very intuitive. I downloaded half a dozen or so as trials but none of them hit the spot. I wanted to avoid paying a yearly fee, and some were quite pricy (for me, anyway, being unemployed and trying to work to a very tight budget).

Then I discovered PhotoPressPro and immediately started asking questions of the creator. He answered my emails as soon as he could (being US based and taking into account the time difference), and was very helpful. I decided to go with that template and purchased their Platinum theme for a one-time cost of $99. There is a cheaper option but it's old and does not come with full support. I have had to email some questions since using it, and again my queries were answered by the man himself and not a machine, and his replies really did help me.

Inserting images into posts or pages is simple, with a choice of layout, including a rotating gallery where you can set the image display times and transition effects, etc. I have set up a static page as the landing page, and included other pages as well as a blog page - I've seen many sites where the photographer has a blog site with one provider and then their main website is something completely different, whereas I wanted everything in one place. At some point I might include the facility to purchase items online, but for that I would simply add a Paypal button on the necessary pages.

My site is HERE, should you wish to take a look. It is still in the early stages, and I know my photography is not that worthy of promotion at the moment, but I live in hope that I can soon get the confidence and the ability to make my photography profitable. It's certainly nigh-on impossible to get a 'proper' job these days!

Hope this helps.

User_Removed
    2 Sep 2011 - 5:38 PM

You can do some pretty amazing stuff with Wordpress (write your own plug-ins if you like too) it would have no trouble outshining Photium etc - in the right hands of course.

thatmanbrian
    19 Sep 2011 - 11:21 PM

Wordpress is great and so flexible you can totally change its look at the click of a button. Their website has several photo orientated themes and there are hundreds of third-party ones for free elsewhere. I also use Coppermine which I highly recommend. Wordpress is definely not just a blogging platform.

To see an example of Coppermine, look at my site
    Brian

miked70
    miked70  5225 forum posts South Africa3 Constructive Critique Points
    21 Sep 2011 - 6:50 AM

if you want a blogging site go with WP but for me i find Joomla far better for websites

karl
    karl Site Moderator 11588 forum posts United Kingdom
    21 Sep 2011 - 7:34 AM

The big problem we see with Joomla is it getting hacked. We host more WP sites than Joomla ones, but we've seen way more Joomla ones get hacked by about 20:1 as it's just not as easy to keep up to date as Wordpress is without breaking things.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.