Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wordpress Themes

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    chrisheathcote
    chrisheathcote e2 Member 8241 forum postschrisheathcote vcard United Kingdom
    12 Mar 2013 - 9:03 PM

After joining the online world about 3 months ago (its been a steep learning curve) and hosting my own site through Wordpress, I have finally got fed up of the free themes that are available. I was wondering how many others used the paid themes and if you recommended any. I have seen 1 in particular on elegantthemes.com and wondered whether these would give me the flexibility of design and wow factor that my site is missing. Currently I am using the Wordpress 2012 theme, which seems to give the best flexibility, but lacks the wow factor. Also I use Nexgen Gallery along with the LR plugin to manage my galleries, I assume I would still be able to do this?

Thatnks for your help once again

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    12 Mar 2013 - 9:03 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

779HOB
    779HOB  21018 forum posts United Kingdom
    12 Mar 2013 - 9:20 PM

I'm not a Wordpress expert but do have a blog there, not my main site. I haven't used a paid for theme but I think you can buy an add-on that lets you edit the CSS files even on the free themes. I could be wrong. Just something in my head that you can.

chrisheathcote
    12 Mar 2013 - 9:47 PM

I think you edit the CSS, the problem is I have no idea about CSS. Thanks

779HOB
    12 Mar 2013 - 9:53 PM

Quote: the problem is I have no idea about CSS

I'm not sure a paid for theme will help much in terms of customisation. I think you are still stuck with whatever you buy unless you can edit the CSS.

LesleyJ
    LesleyJ  7144 forum posts England
    12 Mar 2013 - 11:13 PM

I use PhotoPressPro Platimum. I only use it for my blog but love it. Not sure if I am allowed to put link to PPP site but if you google it you will find it.

llareggub
    llareggub  4683 forum posts United Kingdom
    13 Mar 2013 - 6:51 AM

The trick with paid themes is to find one that needs as little tinkering as possible, I use one called core from themeforest http://bjonesphotography.co.uk/

Still a work in progress as I keep tinkering Smile

779HOB
    13 Mar 2013 - 11:32 AM

Quote: http://bjonesphotography.co.uk/

Like that.

chrisheathcote
    13 Mar 2013 - 3:29 PM

Quote: The trick with paid themes is to find one that needs as little tinkering as possible, I use one called core from themeforest http://bjonesphotography.co.uk/

Thats what I was thinkinking, I have seen one on themeforest called "dk" and also one on elegant images, can't decide between the 2 though

chrisheathcote
    13 Mar 2013 - 3:29 PM

Quote: The trick with paid themes is to find one that needs as little tinkering as possible, I use one called core from themeforest http://bjonesphotography.co.uk/

Thats what I was thinking, I have seen one on themeforest called "dk" and also one on elegant images, can't decide between the 2 though

chrisheathcote
    13 Mar 2013 - 3:56 PM

Brian,
    On your site, how do you upload your images? Currently I use Nexgen with the LR plugin, it makes managing so simple, ie alter images in LR, click Publish and hey presto. I have been trying to see if this would still work but can't find an answer.

Alan_Baseley
    Alan_Baseley e2 Member 13321 forum postsAlan_Baseley vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Mar 2013 - 3:57 PM

Have you tried the Mantra theme, it's free and very flexible in terms of width, colour, fonts and layouts? Also flash-galley dot.com has a good, free image gallery that allows you as many galleries as you wish as long as you don't want more than 15 images per gallery (paid version removes this restriction). Again it is very flexible.

Last Modified By Alan_Baseley at 13 Mar 2013 - 4:34 PM
    chrisheathcote
    19 Mar 2013 - 4:59 PM

Thanks for all your help everyone, after playing about with the Mantra theme and in the end have ended up getting one from theme forest. It has given what I feel to be a much more polished look however I have had to forego the Nextgen plugin option, oh well.

Thanks again

elconguero
    22 Mar 2013 - 7:23 PM

You should be able to customise any Wordpress theme - Editor gives you access to the source files of themes and plug-ins (generally). Though you'll need a bit of php knowledge as well as CSS.

If you want something really bespoke, have you tried contacting a Wordpress developer?

G6DDS
    G6DDS e2 Member 5231 forum postsG6DDS vcard Scotland
    23 Mar 2013 - 11:48 AM

I use one of the prophoto wordpress themes for my site, very easy to use and lots of choice

www.iaingeddesphotography.co.uk

stepr17
    stepr17  1 France
    6 Apr 2013 - 3:00 PM

Hi,
    I personally use a paid theme by 'mysitemyway'. I've used free ones in the past but as my website is now for my photography business I don't have time to go under the bonnet to fix any glitches.
    The offer from 'mysitemyway' has excellent services and respond very very quickly.

www.rvbpixels.fr in French, with the following page in English www.rvbpixels.fr/photography-workshops-france/

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.