Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Wordpress Themes

12 Mar 2013 9:03PM
After joining the online world about 3 months ago (its been a steep learning curve) and hosting my own site through Wordpress, I have finally got fed up of the free themes that are available. I was wondering how many others used the paid themes and if you recommended any. I have seen 1 in particular on elegantthemes.com and wondered whether these would give me the flexibility of design and wow factor that my site is missing. Currently I am using the Wordpress 2012 theme, which seems to give the best flexibility, but lacks the wow factor. Also I use Nexgen Gallery along with the LR plugin to manage my galleries, I assume I would still be able to do this?

Thatnks for your help once again

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

779HOB 2 1.0k United Kingdom
12 Mar 2013 9:20PM
I'm not a Wordpress expert but do have a blog there, not my main site. I haven't used a paid for theme but I think you can buy an add-on that lets you edit the CSS files even on the free themes. I could be wrong. Just something in my head that you can.
12 Mar 2013 9:47PM
I think you edit the CSS, the problem is I have no idea about CSS. Thanks
12 Mar 2013 9:53PM

Quote:the problem is I have no idea about CSS

I'm not sure a paid for theme will help much in terms of customisation. I think you are still stuck with whatever you buy unless you can edit the CSS.
LesleyJ 7 144 England
12 Mar 2013 11:13PM
I use PhotoPressPro Platimum. I only use it for my blog but love it. Not sure if I am allowed to put link to PPP site but if you google it you will find it.
llareggub 4 743 United Kingdom
13 Mar 2013 6:51AM
The trick with paid themes is to find one that needs as little tinkering as possible, I use one called core from themeforest http://bjonesphotography.co.uk/

Still a work in progress as I keep tinkering Smile
13 Mar 2013 11:32AM
13 Mar 2013 3:29PM

Quote:The trick with paid themes is to find one that needs as little tinkering as possible, I use one called core from themeforest http://bjonesphotography.co.uk/

Thats what I was thinkinking, I have seen one on themeforest called "dk" and also one on elegant images, can't decide between the 2 though
13 Mar 2013 3:29PM

Quote:The trick with paid themes is to find one that needs as little tinkering as possible, I use one called core from themeforest http://bjonesphotography.co.uk/

Thats what I was thinking, I have seen one on themeforest called "dk" and also one on elegant images, can't decide between the 2 though
13 Mar 2013 3:56PM
Brian,
On your site, how do you upload your images? Currently I use Nexgen with the LR plugin, it makes managing so simple, ie alter images in LR, click Publish and hey presto. I have been trying to see if this would still work but can't find an answer.
Alan_Baseley e2
13 323 2 England
13 Mar 2013 3:57PM
Have you tried the Mantra theme, it's free and very flexible in terms of width, colour, fonts and layouts? Also flash-galley dot.com has a good, free image gallery that allows you as many galleries as you wish as long as you don't want more than 15 images per gallery (paid version removes this restriction). Again it is very flexible.
19 Mar 2013 4:59PM
Thanks for all your help everyone, after playing about with the Mantra theme and in the end have ended up getting one from theme forest. It has given what I feel to be a much more polished look however I have had to forego the Nextgen plugin option, oh well.

Thanks again
elconguero 8 34 United Kingdom
22 Mar 2013 7:23PM
You should be able to customise any Wordpress theme - Editor gives you access to the source files of themes and plug-ins (generally). Though you'll need a bit of php knowledge as well as CSS.

If you want something really bespoke, have you tried contacting a Wordpress developer?
G6DDS 5 231 Scotland
23 Mar 2013 11:48AM
I use one of the prophoto wordpress themes for my site, very easy to use and lots of choice

www.iaingeddesphotography.co.uk
stepr17 1 7 France
6 Apr 2013 3:00PM
Hi,
I personally use a paid theme by 'mysitemyway'. I've used free ones in the past but as my website is now for my photography business I don't have time to go under the bonnet to fix any glitches.
The offer from 'mysitemyway' has excellent services and respond very very quickly.

www.rvbpixels.fr in French, with the following page in English www.rvbpixels.fr/photography-workshops-france/

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.