Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

WordPress websites

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61192 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 3:18 PM

Has anyone built a website through WordPress and what has been your experience? I am about to build another website which will be through WordPress which is completely new to me. There is no option as to going elsewhere as this is not for my personal use it is one that I will be looking after for our camera club. Links to sites would be good as just glancing through the WordPress website there is a lot about blogs which is not quite what I want to set up although it could be a useful additional feature for the members to get involved with later on. Just got to get the thing off the ground first.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
2 Oct 2012 - 3:18 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8991 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 3:33 PM

Have a look at http://www.weebly.com/ it's free and simple and also makes portable versions for viewing on phones etc.
I run our clubs site and my own using it for over a year now, no problems.

I personally found wordpress not so simple and not something any other member in the club would like to take on if I stopped.

ray1
ray1  10518 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 3:37 PM

Wordpress is great and easy to use with 1000,s of themes and plugins. You dont have to use it as a blog and sites such as themeforest have lots of photography templates. Lots of hosting companies have an automatic install for wordpress and getting it running is nice and straight forward.

janeez
janeez e2 Member 61192 forum postsjaneez vcard United Kingdom8 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 3:50 PM

WordPress has been set up and due to major complications left by our former webmasters this is what we have to use. I do prefer something simple to use though for speed and ease I have enough work with my own website!!!Tongue

llareggub
llareggub  4697 forum posts United Kingdom
2 Oct 2012 - 4:11 PM

Wordpress is beautifully simple to use, it isn't exactly drag and drop design but grab a theme you like and off you go, I have not come across a single problem that could not be overcome with a simple search with reults always being 1-3 in google.

Here is my site http://bjonesphotography.co.uk/

Carrera_c
Carrera_c  5256 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
2 Oct 2012 - 4:29 PM

I've got two websites setup using wordpress.

My own: http://carreraphotography.co.uk
And a camera club website that I look after (this one's quite new so a little rough around the edges): http://www.gryffecameraclub.co.uk/

I think wordpress is great once you get the hang of it. It is very quick to create and update content.

As for customising the look and feel, there are thousands of themes out there. Have a quick google for themes and see what's out there. If you've got the skill you can always tear apart the pages and CSS yourself to create something totally custom.

Also, not to pry but what do you mean by 'major complications' with the former webmasters? Do you not have access to the hosting account to uninstall wordpress if you wanted to do so?

Last Modified By Carrera_c at 2 Oct 2012 - 4:36 PM
janeez
2 Oct 2012 - 10:38 PM

Major complications were that over a number of years our website has been set up, removed, set up, left to do nothing, removed, set up again, left again.......etc, etc and these members keen to get the thing started, losing interest and then leaving the club anyway and the committee having no idea how to access the site or even who the web host is. This is why it has to be simple so I can get another member involved and I don't hold all the keys so to speak.
Thank you for the info and the links, i am feeling a lot happier about it all now. Grin

THIRTYFIVEMILL
19 Nov 2012 - 7:31 PM

Wordpress is one of the easiest to setup and you can quickly put together a decent looking site. I set mine up at the beginning of the year.

Last Modified By Moderator Team at 20 Dec 2012 - 11:53 AM
sut68
sut68 e2 Member 111997 forum postssut68 vcard England76 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 7:45 AM

Just launched mine using WP after years of being with Photium - http://www.postscriptphoto.co.uk/

janeez
20 Dec 2012 - 10:55 AM

I did get the web site done in the end and went back to my own Serif programme. After having several very helpful conversations with the local company we use for hosting they were happy for me to build it myself and then took over my computer to get it published. couldn't have been easier in the end and a lot quicker.

for anyone interested it is www.yeovilcameraclub.co.uk

It is a fairly simple site (not to build though!) as several members have found ones we had in the past complicated and too wordy!

JJGEE
JJGEE  96303 forum posts England18 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 11:13 AM

Quote: for anyone interested it is www.yeovilcameraclub.co.uk

Very smart looking and is easy to find your way around it with some nice images to view as well Smile

I do note, however, that there are a few ladies on the committee... do the guys get a word in at meetings Wink

Last Modified By JJGEE at 20 Dec 2012 - 11:14 AM
janeez
20 Dec 2012 - 11:42 AM

It was always a male dominated committee and there were no females present until I took over as Chair nearly three years ago. The club has been going since 1937 so that was a very long time. Once I was there in the first year it was just me and one other. The next year we created a post of membership Secretary which was taken up by the Club secretaries wife and this year we have more women take up vacant posts. A real turn around from the past.

The ones that have the most to say............The Men!

Bonvilston
20 Dec 2012 - 12:33 PM

janeez.

I am not a camera club fan and so wouldn't want to go against anything that members say on here about what is best for them. I have however just changed my old FREE website for a wordpress based one after a discussion on this forum generated enough comments to say that this was the best way.

I struggled in the past to get Wordpress to do just what I wanted, but have since made an effort to make it work for me. in the past I have set them up, but it was such a pain that i ended up with a pretty enough website, but then I never changed it much as it was too much hassle. What I have done this time is to use a "theme" called 13floor by "Elegant themes". This was devised especially for photographic portfolios etc. I found it simple to use, so long as you get rid of the junk posts that come with Wordpress t begin with. Updating it by adding photos etc is incredibly easy and takes very little time. It is very flexible.

If you are new to wordpress I would be more than happy to act as a kind of mentor and talk you through how I got this site operating. All you need to do then is to install a different theme that you like and away you go. If you are interested just send me a message on here.

My website

janeez
20 Dec 2012 - 1:21 PM

Thank you for the offer as mentor but this is the fourth website I have built and Wordpress did not offer what I required for our members. I have built 4 websites from Serif so far, all from scratch, so I have complete control over all the content, how it displays, the layout, navigation, colours etc from the master page through to the toolbar.

digicammad
digicammad  1121988 forum posts United Kingdom37 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 1:29 PM

An alternative to Wordpress is Joomla.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.