Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Worflow is so slow!!! Help!

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    johnalexander
    17 Mar 2010 - 11:06 PM

Hi everyone,
    I was wondering what the best way to do workflow is. I know everyones is different but I seem to take ages doing things. This is what I do.
    Upload into raw conversion.
    choose, and edit, and crop.
    then save in tiff of jpeg.
    Then, I want to put them on my website. I want them all horizontal photos in 750px width and want the horizontal 330px height. Also want to sharpen them so they look good
    My problem is that because I crop differently for each photo or least a lot of them , especially with my sport photos! I want to know how to get consistant sizes with consistant sharpeness ready for people to view. Please help.
    how do I do an action where I can achieve this? if I do my actions in percentages then due to different crops I have done then I don't get consistant results. Maybe I shouldn't crop until last?
    Please help
    Thanks
    John

John

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    17 Mar 2010 - 11:06 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Mar 2010 - 11:29 PM

Why not choose or create a crop size that suits your taste, Then save that crop setting as a new crop tool.....Smile

That way whatever way you crop your image sizes will be uniform.

True that on some occasion that can impact on how you want the crop to look, But its the only way to keep sizes consistant.

That said you have to bare in mind ratios when downsizing, So you may have to create a crop size that fits your end result pixel wise.....Wink

Hope that makes sense.....!!!

LensYews
    LensYews  51309 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Mar 2010 - 11:43 PM

I'm trying to get around this issue my improving my framing when I take the photos, to reduce the amount of cropping and straightening in lightroom afterwards. But this is going to take time and experience, and find its different for each sport.

Also if you are just using a editing tool, it might be worth looking at a workflow tool like lightroom where you can automate quite a few processing steps such as the batch sharpening and resizing.

Nick_w
    Nick_w e2 Member 73905 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
    17 Mar 2010 - 11:58 PM

I moved to lightroom a while back, whilst it was a steep learning curve the presets are great for consistancy in the "look". And it's a lot quicker than my previous RAW converter.

Why do you need identical crop ratios? Every composition is different and requires a slightly diffeent crop to maximise it's aesthetics. Having said that I normally know when pressing the shutter how I will crop the image later and compose accordingly. I normally try to use as much of the frame as possible. Llightroom has overlays to aid composition, thirds, golden ratio etc etc.

john64
    john64 e2 Member 10824 forum postsjohn64 vcard England
    18 Mar 2010 - 10:17 AM

Hi John, here's my workflow (for what it's worth).

The first thing I do is to rotate (if necessary) and crop. That way I've got the composition sorted first.

Then I do any necessary tweaks, such as levels/curves, contrast/brightness, saturation, layer adjustments...

Then save as my edited, definitive tiff. I can then use this as my 'negative' for any number of uses.

To process from tiff to jpg I then just resize to whatever is needed and finally sharpen. I find that sharpening last of all usually produces the best results (try sharpening and then resizing - you'll see the difference).

Hope that helps in some way, but you're right, everyone has their own system.

Cheers,
    JC

cameracat
    cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Mar 2010 - 12:09 PM

There is a school of thought that you do not need to go throught the " Tiff " process at all....!

Basically you start with a RAW file, Work it through your chosen software, Then save straight to JPEG when finished.

When you think about it, Anyone working with Lightroom, Just imports the Raw files straight into the library, Then works on the images, Then exports them....! Its only at the point of export that you make the decision on what file type to export them as.

If they are finished, You export them as whatever file type you need, Be that Tiff or Jpeg.

Same applies to working with a Raw file through Photoshops " Camera Raw " when you choose to open the file this way, It is still a RAW file, There is no real advantage in changing it to a Tiff at this point, You can carry on working with it as a Raw file, Saving the finished images as, Once again whatever file type is required for the job.

However the one proviso that I would add to that is, For safety & security reasons, If you choose this route, Make sure to create a back-up copy ( You should anyhow ) of the " Original as shot unmolested RAW files, Preferably on a seperate back-up drive.

Then blaze away on the duplicate files Raw straight to Jpeg or whatever....Wink

There may be occasions when you need 16bit data to work with, For these occasions sure convert to 16bit tiff files, But for day to day stuff thats really overkill, Unless you have an endless supply of HDD space.....!!!!

Carabosse
    Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Mar 2010 - 1:14 PM

There's even a school of thought that you ditch the RAW and keep the TIFF, but that may be unwise.

Improvements in RAW-processing software mean that an image taken in RAW, several years ago, could look better after processing with current software than it did with the software available at the time of shooting.

lobsterboy
    lobsterboy Site Moderator 1014170 forum postslobsterboy vcard United Kingdom13 Constructive Critique Points
    18 Mar 2010 - 2:00 PM

Quote: However the one proviso that I would add to that is, For safety & security reasons, If you choose this route, Make sure to create a back-up copy ( You should anyhow ) of the " Original as shot unmolested RAW files, Preferably on a seperate back-up drive.

Then blaze away on the duplicate files Raw straight to Jpeg or whatever..

I didn't think any software actually changed the raw files? I was under the impression that all the changes are recorded in Sidecar files.
    Though you should always have at least 3 copies of your raw files somewhere.

As to the original question, Lightroom would help speed things up.
    For a lot of stuff there is no need to generate a Tiff file and jpg exports can be preconfigured to save a lot of messing about.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.