Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

  • NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here


Work Review


30 Nov 2011 11:43AM
Hi i need your help please as i believe i am a fairly good photographer but since being on this site i have seen what in my opinion has been really bad work regularly get more votes than my work, So i am beginning to think that i may be deluding my self??????? Please be honest Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

whipspeed e2
10 4.1k 22 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2011 11:51AM
Don't worry about it, it's been discussed a lot. Just search Click Cliques.
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
30 Nov 2011 11:52AM
Use votes as an indicator...sadly due to human nature you cannot use this as a true indicator of work quality compared with other photos. People use the site in different ways some just look at close circles of friends and vote on their work, others plough through the gallery on a daily basis, others, visit at specific times, some just vote on what they truly think is best, some vote on mates. Use the EC HC GE UA galleries as better indicators.

We plan to look at the way votes work soon. It's been a long time coming but we have an idea how to address this. Before we do we will have a focus group to discuss the ideas.
Carabosse e2
11 39.7k 269 England
30 Nov 2011 11:54AM

Quote:i have seen what in my opinion has been really bad work regularly get more votes than my work


You're clearly not doing enough voting on other people's photos.

That is the only aspect where you are falling down. End of story! Wink
scrimmy e2
6 379 5 Scotland
30 Nov 2011 12:24PM
I think you are better than just fairly good, don't worry about it, just enjoy the site for what you get out of it.
30 Nov 2011 12:29PM
Thank you for your reply's everyone its much appreciated Smile
muzzeyman e2
11 293 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2011 1:06PM
Welcome to the world of 'clique fishing' lol!
To be honest only you can answer the question of whether your work is good or bad. I learned from an dear, sadly passed member on here that the best critique of your work is yourself.

Be brutally honest with yourself when looking through your portfolio. Better still, do as I did and submit a couple of panels for licentship at the
Royal Photographic Society . Complete but highly respected members of the industry will pore over two panels of 5 images each, and decide if your work meets the standards required.

I failed by 1 point! but it was a massive learning curve for me back then, and I got a lot out the feedback I recieved from the judging panel.
30 Nov 2011 1:25PM
Just looked at the first page of your PF and I would say that your pictures are "better" than 80% or so of the images that fill the EPZ gallery. And shockingly none of your images has even made the magical 30 votes for an RC award. Which proves pretty much categorically that voting on this site is more about how many friends you've made than photographic quality. Stick with it, vote and comment honestly on images that impress you and don't go down the clique-click route. Perhaps Pete gives the best advice when he suggests using the number of votes within your PF as a comparative indicator rather than an absolute marker of quality.
30 Nov 2011 1:35PM

Quote:Welcome to the world of 'clique fishing' lol!
To be honest only you can answer the question of whether your work is good or bad. I learned from an dear, sadly passed member on here that the best critique of your work is yourself.

Be brutally honest with yourself when looking through your portfolio. Better still, do as I did and submit a couple of panels for licentship at the
Royal Photographic Society. Complete but highly respected members of the industry will pore over two panels of 5 images each, and decide if your work meets the standards required.

I failed by 1 point! but it was a massive learning curve for me back then, and I got a lot out the feedback I recieved from the judging panel.



I know that in my eyes there will always be room for improvement for my work but that's just me Smile I think i will send some pics off to the Royal Photographic Society but iv'e never really been one to agree with a panel of judges that mark any type of art just so they can be payed to sit on there butt all day long this is why i joined this site to get feedback from normal people that don't charge you but from what i can see at the moment is most people just either vote on every photo in the world regardless of what it looks like or just for people who have voted for them lol
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
30 Nov 2011 1:43PM

Quote:from what i can see at the moment is most people just either vote on every photo in the world regardless of what it looks like or just for people who have voted for them lol

Count me out - I only vote on what I think is very good.
30 Nov 2011 1:46PM

Quote:from what i can see at the moment is most people just either vote on every photo in the world regardless of what it looks like or just for people who have voted for them lol
Count me out - I only vote on what I think is very good.



Lol i didn't say everyone Pete so i will count you out Smile
Pete e2
13 18.7k 96 England
30 Nov 2011 1:50PM

Quote:Lol i didn't say everyone Pete so i will count you out

Thanks Wink
If you want feedback, and don't mind missing on votes, try posting to the critique gallery...might give you a better understanding.
30 Nov 2011 1:51PM

Quote:Lol i didn't say everyone Pete so i will count you out
Thanks Wink
If you want feedback, and don't mind missing on votes, try posting to the critique gallery...might give you a better understanding.


Thanks Pete i will do that Smile
30 Nov 2011 3:12PM
Interesting topic.

My brother and I have been interested in photography for more then 50 years. We came to this site a few months ago looking for an active community that includes both galleries and forums. And we believe we found it here (even though we're both from across the pond).

We quickly realized that the level of photographic skills varies greatly, as well as the subject matter that interest people. For the most part pictures of meetings, family, etc. has very little photographic value other then to those posting that type of picture, but they do seem to be posted quite a bit.

I've posted what I've considered some excellent pictures among my many submissions, yet the best I've ever achieved is 13 votes. Most get 6 or less votes. Some none. while this doesn't really concern me. There doesn't seem to be any standards for voting other then the subjectivity of the voter. I've felt for some time that you receive more votes if you vote and comment on other photographers work, as they get to know who you are. That doesn't change the quality or your posted work, but it does get votes.

Cliques have been around as long as there has been clubs, sites, forums, etc. And unless you are eventually accepted by one or more of them, you're considered an outsider, and your posted work becomes a secondary issue.

I would offer up one suggestion, and that is to have a visible hit count for each picture that is clicked on and viewed. At least the photographer would be able to gauge how many people actually were interested enough to view their picture. A vote requires an additional click, and many people just don't bother.

I've wondered at times how such a busy photographic site, with members numbering in the hundreds of thousands, could have so few that post votes. They must be looking periodically at the photos, but just don't bother to vote.

Joel
SlowSong e2
6 4.8k 29 England
30 Nov 2011 3:20PM
I had a look at your p/f out of interest.

Quote:But please do not say that you think a photo is good just to get feedback on your photo's as I've seen so many people do on this site, This is unhelpful and can stop a photographer trying to improve themselves if they already think they are great when clearly they still have a lot to learn
Mmm, you're not exactly encouraging people to look in on you if you're going to berate us before you've even got your feet under the table. Sorry, but this sort of attitude is a bit of a turn off whether you're a good photographer or not.



Quote:I would offer up one suggestion, and that is to have a visible hit count for each picture that is clicked on and viewed.
Joel, that function is already available.

Quote:I've wondered at times how such a busy photographic site, with members numbering in the hundreds of thousands, could have so few that post votes. They must be looking periodically at the photos, but just don't bother to vote.
Look at lots of other sites. This is one of the best in that respect.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.