Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Work Review

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

whipspeed
whipspeed e2 Member 104040 forum postswhipspeed vcard United Kingdom22 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2011 - 11:14 AM

Simple answer is, it doesn't help anyone to tell them their work is fabulous when it obviously isn't (I went to a local art fair recently and a few people there could have done with a few home truths). But I'm coming from a lucky position of having a husband who works in design and is, I think, a fairly talented artist who gives it to me straight what he thinks about my work, sometimes too straight! Grin But I rather he said that, than say ooh, that is lovely darling if I've produced a load of old crap, which I still do quite often, well more than quite often really.

I also have a few local photographer friends and we get together to critique each others work.
Trouble is, too many people don't get critique from childhood, which might sound a bit cruel, but I always think, give them praise, yes, but also tell them where they could improve and help them do so.

Just enjoy the parts of the site that you want to and don't bother with the rest.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
1 Dec 2011 - 11:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

crystalmemories

Quote: Simple answer is, it doesn't help anyone to tell them their work is fabulous when it obviously isn't (I went to a local art fair recently and a few people there could have done with a few home truths). But I'm coming from a lucky position of having a husband who works in design and is, I think, a fairly talented artist who gives it to me straight what he thinks about my work, sometimes too straight! Grin But I rather he said that, than say ooh, that is lovely darling if I've produced a load of old crap, which I still do quite often, well more than quite often really.
Just enjoy the parts of the site that you want to and don't bother with the rest.

Yes i agree totally lying is bad in every way look at the XFactor them pore people that have been lied to all there life told that they are a great singer only to be put in front of a crowd and made a laughing stock of lol this is whats happening to photographers that try to turn pro to quickly and will ruin there reputation as a photographer forever.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64346 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2011 - 11:52 AM

Quote: How does it help someone telling them they are great when clearly they are not?

It doesn't, and I'm not suggesting that you do that. But grumbling that you don't get any recognition on here suggests that you think you're being overlooked, in which case you may like to consider why. You've made your point, and whether you get any more interest in your work may or may not be prejudiced by the tone of your p/f intro paragraph which may deter some people from bothering. It does sound rather confrontational. However, if any of your images takes my fancy and I think it's worth a click then you'll get one. Now there's thrilling! Grin

stix
stix e2 Member 9924 forum postsstix vcard United Kingdom87 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2011 - 11:58 AM

Has offending intro been taken down?

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2011 - 12:04 PM

Quote: Has offending intro been taken down?

Seems so.

stix
stix e2 Member 9924 forum postsstix vcard United Kingdom87 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2011 - 12:09 PM

I missed it. I feel cheated I can't come over all indignant.

scrimmy
scrimmy e2 Member 5365 forum postsscrimmy vcard Scotland5 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2011 - 12:16 PM

i would like to say that i found nothing offensive about the intro

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2011 - 12:30 PM

Quote: I would like to say that i found nothing offensive about the intro

From what I can recall of my brief glance at it, nor did I.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64346 forum postsSlowSong vcard England28 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2011 - 12:58 PM

Is this Group still going? If so, it might be worth a trip there to see if it might be what you want.

crystalmemories

Quote: I missed it. I feel cheated I can't come over all indignant.

There was nothing offensive about the intro i was just stating that i wanted people to only vote for my photography if they liked it not just to get a vote back so if you feel like coming over all indignant stix feel free but don't expect me just to put up with it Wink

hobbo
hobbo e2 Member 3789 forum postshobbo vcard England2 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2011 - 1:56 PM

Personally I never bother to see if I have votes or not.......it is great to get the occasional praise and honest criticism any votes are a real bonus.

More important to me is the way that this forum allows me to browse/absorb/scan/skip hundreds of photographs a week, I learn about and make notes on shots that work for me......I find the thumbnails very important, so many shots just merge into the background.

What does bug me and I often skip looking at work because of it......is the absence of any information or explanation, the whys and wherefores of a work ....... The place, the reasons, the trigger for the pressing of the shutter........a title isn't enough.

Whinge overSmile

Hobbo

Carabosse
1 Dec 2011 - 2:16 PM

One of the great facilities of v.5 of the EPZ site is the ability to switch off votes and/or awards. I have made use of that facility ever since it was introduced. Smile

adrian_w
adrian_w e2 Member 73294 forum postsadrian_w vcard Scotland4 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2011 - 2:51 PM

Quote: i was just stating that i wanted people to only vote for my photography if they liked it not just to get a vote back

Yes but it was the way you said it that upset some of the more sensitive souls here. It was quite aggressively done.

crystalmemories

Yes but it was the way you said it that upset some of the more sensitive souls here. It was quite aggressively done.
[/quote]

It was not meant to be aggressive in any way shape or form, To me it was straight to the point as i am a n BS guy who will speak what i think and i think that its not in anyone's interest to get a vote from someone who votes on nearly every photo that goes on here. please look at all the worst photographs on here and you will see the same names coming up again and again so for me there vote means nothing and i would much rather have 1 vote from a good photographer than loads from someone who votes on everything. I think people should be limited to 3 votes a day, Then maybe people will open there eyes more and chose who they vote for more carefully. Then if i get no votes at least i know that a lot of work is needed lol Smile

mikehit
mikehit  56298 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
1 Dec 2011 - 3:11 PM

Quote: i

I agree - saying 'please don;t vote for me unless...' reads as petulant. I knew exactly what you meant but it was worded rather abruptly. It makes people stop and think about whether their opinion falls into that category and by that time the enthusiasm has gone.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.