Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

World Pooh Sticks Championships

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Tony_M
    Tony_M  10342 forum posts England
    24 Mar 2006 - 8:05 AM

The 23rd World Pooh Sticks Championships are being held this weekend (Mother's Day, Sunday March 26th) at Little Wittenham, south of Oxford.

Not sure if there will be much to photograph, but I'm planning to go along for a laugh Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    24 Mar 2006 - 8:05 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT
    CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2006 - 8:19 AM

My now 19year old son once played pooh sticks with his friend.
    I think they were about 11.
    They went down to the river.
    It was real poo.
    And they then shot at it with a pelet gun.
    Now thats how you really play pooh sticks.

MattB
    MattB  8251 forum posts
    24 Mar 2006 - 8:26 AM

Wonderful anecdote Cath! I do believe that would spice up the World Champs!

Aren't we great at these sort of things. I mean light heartedly taking something devilishly seriously like Pooh Sticks, or tiddly winks, or conkers.

So terriblly British. Bloody Marvelous!

CathyT
    CathyT e2 Member 87271 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2006 - 8:37 AM

I wouldn't say it was a photo opportunity!!

UserRemoved
    24 Mar 2006 - 9:04 AM

Now do I go to the World Pooh Sticks Championship or Australia? Hmmmm! Tricky one, that! LOL!

CathyT
    24 Mar 2006 - 9:32 AM

You could enter yourself.

Tooth
    Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2006 - 5:10 PM

just barging in here, but I remember in my youth a sitcom with Derek Nimmo as a young vicar/whatever, and his catchphrase was his hilarious profanity which was..

"oh, pooh.."

SuziBlue
    SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2006 - 8:23 PM

LOL Matt!
    Quote: So terriblly British. Bloody Marvelous!

Aren't we, though. I loved 'Notes from a Small Island' by Bill Bryson - he brought out our eccentricities and Britishisms so well and so affectionately. ;-]

stevie
    stevie e2 Member 101198 forum postsstevie vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Mar 2006 - 9:00 PM

Suzi - absolutely agree - I discovered Bryson only relatively recently but I also enjoyed 'Notes from a Small Island' immensely. It suddenly dawned on me exactly what the Italian half of my family had been talking about for the past forty years!

Tooth - I think you refer to 'Oh Brother' circa 1968.

Steve

UserRemoved
    24 Mar 2006 - 10:30 PM

Been reading Bryson's 'Down Under'. First time I've read any of his stuff but heard it on R4 where the condensing of his wit works much better. Find his written work rather too plodding - sufficiently boring that I haven't finished!

User_Removed
    25 Mar 2006 - 4:34 AM

I still think that Neither Here nor There, the first Bryson book that I read, was by far the funniest...

SuziBlue
    SuziBlue  1116195 forum posts Scotland10 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2006 - 5:54 AM

The first one I ever read was 'A Walk in the Woods' and I couldn't stop crying with laughter at so much of it. I just find him so dry

Remember where he's getting sick of the wiss wiss wiss of his waterproof clothing and wants to shoot it ...

jeanie
    jeanie e2 Member 105968 forum postsjeanie vcard United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    25 Mar 2006 - 6:36 AM

I still play poo sticks whenever I can - and why not? Its great fun with my god-daughters and enhances a day out in the Lake District when we get the chance to go for a walk.....
    (and if I dont have god daughters with me - well, umm.... I still play - you are never too old!)

Jeanie

(hmm maybe I should try reading some Bill Bryson stuff - got the books in the house, just never got round to reading them after Trev finished with them...)

EmptyInside
    27 Mar 2006 - 11:19 AM

I honestly can't believe i missed this!!!!!! Sad

LW is just down the road from me and i even used to work on the nature reserve! I even put this in my diary as it was amusing and i STILL missed it! argh!

And for those who thought i was over excited about the pooh sticks... Wink the area around little wittenham is very beautiful too! especially as a mile or so down the road is a lovely river walk in Dorchester Wink

Though pooh sticks is a family tradition here too.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.