Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Worries about my online digital images being stolen.

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
TimJ
TimJ  10482 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2005 - 1:25 PM

I would like to know whether or not any of you worry about your online digital images being copied or the idea of a photo copied.

It is actually part of my dissertation about digital copyright and it would be great to get some of your opinions. If you could take a few seconds to fill in a quick survey it would be really appreciated, just follow the link below. You'd be really helping me.

Digital Copyright Survey

Thank you,

Tim.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
31 Jan 2005 - 1:25 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2005 - 1:27 PM

I'm not at all worried - but I'd be worried about having my email address as my handle. What an invitation to spammers/scammers. Wink

sillyconguru
31 Jan 2005 - 1:31 PM

Very true, CB.

I'm also not that worried, the images are too small (and probably not good enough) to be really useful to anyone.

TimJ
31 Jan 2005 - 1:31 PM

Handy if anyone wants to get hold of me though and spam filters work a treat! Smile

TimJ
31 Jan 2005 - 1:32 PM

Hi Andrew,

Don't forget though that someone can still pinch the idea of one of your photos and recreate it. That's still copyright theft. Wouldn't you be annoyed if someone made money out of your idea for a photograph?

sillyconguru
31 Jan 2005 - 1:36 PM

Quote: Don't forget though that someone can still pinch the idea of one of your photos and recreate it. That's still copyright theft. Wouldn't you be annoyed if someone made money out of your idea for a photograph?

Eh? Oh look, I've captured an image of a tree. Oh no, someone else has stolen my idea and has taken a photograph of another tree. ??????

I get your gist, but it doesn't worry me. They'd probably do a better job. Jeez, I've seen images in the past and "copied" (or tried to) the photographer. The resulting images are still mine (I took them). How else are we to learn? Hasn't every photographer "copied" another's style in the hope to improve?

M_Melling
M_Melling  9 United Kingdom
31 Jan 2005 - 1:46 PM

there is no such thing as copyright on a good idea.

TimJ
31 Jan 2005 - 1:53 PM

Quote: But copying, per se, however much skill or labour may be devoted to the process, cannot make an original workLord Oliver (cited Interlogo v Tyco [1988] CPR 343)

If it could be proved in court that you had knowingly copied another photographer's photograph then you would own no copyright in that image and therefore would have no right to sell it. However I would suggest that proving such a thing would be almost impossible.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139367 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
31 Jan 2005 - 1:53 PM

Quote: Don't forget though that someone can still pinch the idea of one of your photos and recreate it. That's still copyright theft.

No it isn't. Useful site on copyright law here

sillyconguru
31 Jan 2005 - 1:57 PM

Re-creating a scene/image isn't the same a copying an actual photograph. I'd assume that there is no law against inspiration?

TimJ
31 Jan 2005 - 1:57 PM

Sorry, I take your point, technically not copyright theft. However, a copied artistic works (photo) cannot qualify for originality and would not be protected under the Act.

TimJ
31 Jan 2005 - 2:02 PM

Recent legislation regarding digital copyright has come under heavy critism for "limiting creativity". You have touched upon one of the points that I draw upon in my dissertation; what is to stop two people having the same idea?

Of course there should not be a law against inspiration, so are emerging international laws unsuitable?

snapbandit
31 Jan 2005 - 2:06 PM

Quote: what is to stop two people having the same idea?

Or two, say sports, photographers standing together capturing the same action, from similar viewpoints?

Joe B

sillyconguru
31 Jan 2005 - 2:08 PM

They might have the same idea, but the final products/images would (more than likely) be different. Apple & Micro$oft had the same idea (to use Xerox's WIMP system as part of their Operating Systems, except that Micro$oft basically stole Apple's idea).

elikag
elikag  9749 forum posts
31 Jan 2005 - 2:10 PM

I don't know about "being inspired" being aginst the copy right law or not (think not), but one thing you could do is to reduce the ppi of the images you upload to mere 72ppi (and "save for web" feature of PS CS does that automatically). That way, printing your photos would be almost imposible (at any acceptable quality).

Ilia Kagan.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.