Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Worst Camera and Lens Disasters Everyone ?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2011 - 6:28 PM

Whats the worst thats happened to your kit and why , lets see if we are all as careful as we think , and if theres good reason to buy better kit ?

Mine
Metz Flash and Pentax K10 dropped from a wall at a wedding - Metz flash snapped and gone , camera small crack but ok
Canon 50mm 1.4 rolled out of bag and hit tiled floor .... dead and buried
Canon 17-40 L Dropped whilst changing lenses at wedding and hit concrete , still works fine but front plastic round bit fell off !from inside and is held in by the filter now .. bombproof lens !
Canon 5dmk2 . rolled 50 foot down a steep ravine , some scrapes but works perfectly its also been out for over an hour in torential downpour in the lakes with no protection. Amazing camera.

Lets here your stories and get ready to cringe !

Andy

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
20 Nov 2011 - 6:28 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed
20 Nov 2011 - 6:39 PM

Running down the road towards the scene (gas explosion in a private house north of Swindon), the 'Billingham' was open and the second Pentax LX with the 200mm f2.8 attached fell out. Ripped the lens mount off the body and damaged the lens somewhat - but still useable. Got the shots - rushed them to the Agency and set off for Pentax UK in North London. Left the LX body with them and returned home. Made the front page in the local rag next day - and collected my LX from Pentax that same afternoon. (Don't ask 'How much'!! [Please!!! Sad]).

Halcyon days!! (1988!!)

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Nov 2011 - 6:40 PM
pulsar69
pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2011 - 7:04 PM

Quote: Running down the road towards the scene (gas explosion in a private house north of Swindon), the 'Billingham' was open and the second Pentax LX with the 200mm f2.8 attached fell out. Ripped the lens mount off the body and damaged the lens somewhat - but still useable. Got the shots - rushed them to the Agency and set off for Pentax UK in North London. Left the LX body with them and returned home. Made the front page in the local rag next day - and collected my LX from Pentax that same afternoon. (Don't ask 'How much'!! [Please!!! Sad]).

Halcyon days!! (1988!!)

Wow collected next day ! , that certainly wouldnt happen these days

User_Removed
20 Nov 2011 - 7:06 PM

Yup!!

Things have changed Andrew - but being a good friend of someone who had some 'pull' with Pentax UK at the time (and he remains a good friend Wink) - helped.

(As well as my using a Pentax 6x7 for my aerial work too Wink)

Grin

Last Modified By User_Removed at 20 Nov 2011 - 7:08 PM
Ricky37
Ricky37  6
20 Nov 2011 - 7:19 PM

Back from a surf trip @ kimmeridge dorset , Head on crash with a tractor at 40mph , Nikon D300 with 300mm 2.8 attached lens broke off from camera , was ok but was totally gutted about the lens, was not fussed about the van which was written off and worth at least three or four times the cost of the lens

User_Removed
20 Nov 2011 - 7:28 PM

Sad

You ended up OK Ricky? (You're 'here' obviously but - no injuries at the time I hope!)

Wink

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73878 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2011 - 7:34 PM

Mine too was a Kimmeridge, armed with a brand new D300, less than a month old. I got caught by a rogue wave, caught me from behind, seeing the camera and tripod toppling I dived after it. Result:
1x Nikon D300
1x Sigma 10-20
2x Hitech filters
1x skylight filter

All damaged betond repair, and house insurance refused to pay out (its why I always recommend dedicated camera insurance).

1 x dented pride, saw elbow - both recovered. Tho I must have looked a real state when I checked in at the hotel that night.

Ricky37
Ricky37  6
20 Nov 2011 - 7:45 PM

Yeah no injuries mike thank god for airbags Smile . Ahh nick now that does sound like bad luck , when i go back to kimmeridge now i get a lift with mates cant afford to write off another van , very small narrow roads if people dont know the area.

User_Removed
20 Nov 2011 - 7:57 PM

(Good to hear Ricky..)

Nick!!! Owwww!! !House insurance wouldn't 'cough'!! Not good.

(Know the area well btw...)

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73878 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
20 Nov 2011 - 8:06 PM

Yep, I nearly packed up after that - I didn't pick up a camera again for three months (thankfully I hadn't sold the old one).

Now everythings insured to the hilt.

Ricky37
Ricky37  6
20 Nov 2011 - 8:15 PM

But do you trust insurance company , Biggest scam going im sure of it .

thewilliam
20 Nov 2011 - 8:44 PM

Something over 40 years ago, I was out with a friend one frosty Sunday morning. He wanted to borrow the 300mm that I was using, so we exchanged lenses except that his standard lens slipped from my grasp, rolled down a grassy bank and into a pond.

I fished the lens out of the water and we walked the 200 yards to my parents' house where I phoned a fellow member of our Photographic Society who did repairs. Alec told me that if I brought it round immediately, he'd just have time to fix the lens before his lunch was ready. Later in the day, I picked up the lens and it hadn't suffered any lasting damage. The bill was less than the insurance excess.

That was a Pentax, but the Spotmatic series - superb cameras in their day.

User_Removed
20 Nov 2011 - 8:47 PM

Understand your response there Ricky but - yes. If you are with a reputable Company, they will 'cough'.

Example.

I had (have but now down-sized) all my musical equipment insured with one of the industry-leading firms and had a problem with my (expensive!!) Gibson SG guitar. It was 'sorted' without a quibble - and indeed - came back following its repair, better that it left me! That same Company also cover photographic equipment. Wink

PM me if interested.

gaelldew
gaelldew  7270 forum posts United Kingdom
20 Nov 2011 - 8:52 PM

Burgled, took the bloody lot and my video camera with the tape of our first granddaughter from one day old still in it. Barstewards.

User_Removed
20 Nov 2011 - 9:37 PM

Now THAT is not good Ian.

My commiserations.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.