Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Worth repairing?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    FrogTastic
    14 Dec 2012 - 9:34 AM

Hello,

I have both a Canon 1000D and Canon 450D with similar issues.

Canon 1000D - Only top half of the image is take, where the lower half remains black.

Canon 450D - Large black patch in the images.

Ive used different lenses and update firmware on both bodies. Im assuming this is a hardware fault.

Anyone else come across this?

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    14 Dec 2012 - 9:34 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53469 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2012 - 9:51 AM

A guess as i've not seen this, but it sounds as if the sensor array has partially failed for it not to read large chunks of exposure information.
    The half black screen did initially sound like maybe the upper half of the shutter mechanism is jammed/stuck.

They may have they been exposed to damp?

For the one that's partially black. i might try a code update if its available just in-case this causes the unit to refresh its behaviour - but this is a real long shot.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    strawman
    strawman  1021991 forum posts United Kingdom16 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Dec 2012 - 12:08 PM

Hi on the 1000D try putting it in live view mode or mirror lock up and see if the image is taken ok. It could be you are seeing a mirror failure (where the secondary mirror does not move out of the way) or it could be a shutter failure. Try putting the camera into cleaning mode, can you see all of the sensor when the lens is off. I am afraid if it is what I think then you are looking at an @ 130 repair, that may well put them beyond economic repair. If it is like the old 300D and it is the secondary mirror pivot that has failed then there is a web documented repair of the pin using a piece of wire.

Is it a transition from image to black or is it only half an image? Could be electronics failure.

For the 450D I would do the cleaning process and look for visible contamination/problems. If none then I would suspect sensor/electronics failure.

Last Modified By strawman at 14 Dec 2012 - 12:09 PM Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    • «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.