Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Would anyone say a particular lens is best for portraits?

Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
17 Jul 2012 8:17PM
Be careful if you use a D3100 as mentioned near the beginning of th thread. There are no mechanical linkages in the body, so using an older lens will require stop down metering and possibly using the lens at minimum aperture. There is a chart on the Nikon site that shows compatibity between lenses and bodies.

Nick

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

SEMANON e2
2 95 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2012 2:10PM
I've been checking out different 3rd party 70-200 f2.8 zooms for my Nikon D3100 - Tamron & Sigma - as a lens I'd probably keep forever, would people be of the opinion it's a better idea to go for the latest greatest Nikon version, or are these pretty comparable? Unfortunately no shops near me to try out, so I am trying to get as many opinions as possible. I don't mind paying for extreme quality, if thats what you are getting, as I'm hoping to get more seriosly involved in photography.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
22 Jul 2012 2:24PM
Fish eye or semi fish eye can be fun Smile
SEMANON e2
2 95 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2012 7:06PM
I would like to get a fisheye sometime, or an ultra-wide, does anyone know how the quality of above mentioned lenses(70-200) compares or which is the better of the cheaper options?
22 Jul 2012 7:10PM
Er, a 70-200 is nowhere near being an ultra-wide or a fisheye - or are you wondering if you can save some dosh on a telezoom to put towards a wide?
SEMANON e2
2 95 United Kingdom
22 Jul 2012 8:35PM

Quote:Er, a 70-200 is nowhere near being an ultra-wide or a fisheye - or are you wondering if you can save some dosh on a telezoom to put towards a wide?
Yes basically, but not at the expense of bot getting a decent 70-200, The Tamron and Sigma do look fairly competitive, wondered how they faired in real world useage, if anyone first hand experience of different versions(tele-zooms).

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.