Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Would this suffice as for a home studio?

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    UrbaneMagick
    22 Apr 2013 - 10:20 PM

Hi folks,

would this kit suffice for a home studio ...in the main for taking photographing our own child .

I will be using the loft space for this purpose .
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/BPS-Professional-Photography-Lighting-carrybag/dp/B008MV...

Is there anything missing that I would also need?

Many thanks,

G! Smile

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    22 Apr 2013 - 10:20 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bigalguitarpicker
    22 Apr 2013 - 10:34 PM

Looks good. Maybe a reflector or two would come in handy. When you get familiar with the kit, you could experiment with adding a snoot and a set of barndoors.

UrbaneMagick
    22 Apr 2013 - 10:36 PM

Hi Bigalguitarpicker.

Thanks for the reply...appreciated.

Biggest snag is just not knowing what to buy at all...... snoots and barndoors quite a foreing language..I;ve onyl shot outdoors before, so a whole new ballgame.

scottishphototours

G,

OK, you have the lights - these are no name, unheard of and possibly crap. I would always suggest you buy a "brand" - Elinchrom, Bowens or Elemental come to mind - offering more piece of mind, better customer service in the event of early life breakdown, parts replacement etc.

You could also do with buying some kind of background - paper rolls or vinyl rolls are popular - and a popup reflector as someone else has suggested too.

Type "setting up a home studio" in youtube for plenty of ideas.

Andy

Techno
    Techno  51004 forum posts England8 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2013 - 8:53 AM

One of the togs at the club has bought these and is very pleased...

Miles Herbert
    23 Apr 2013 - 9:45 AM

Hi Gareth,

The kit you are looking at looks on screen to be an okay starting point, although personally I would also go for a name brand (I went for Elinchrom in the end), however, assuming they work it, that kit would do fine. How long they work for is another matter.

Reflectors are quite cheap and you might want to get a stand for the reflector as well to make life easier. That will free up a light to use as a hair light or background light.

Backgrounds ... you could use a simple cotton sheet to start with. At a later date think of a background support or make two brackets to hold it and screw them to something in your loft as a permanent background holder with a plastic pipe to go through the background roll.

Lol, and yes, at a later date, snoots, grids, beauty dish .... the shopping list goes on ...

Miles

UrbaneMagick
    23 Apr 2013 - 5:11 PM

Thankyou for all the great advice..... woul dpreferably go for a name..but as always cash is king /key :-(

.... I think I'll go ahead with this kity as a starter kit & hopefully it will suffice until I make the requisite improvement to move on to better quality gear.

Really do appreciate every comment & bit of advice made....;. Smile

GarethSmile

redsnappa
    redsnappa  111898 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Apr 2013 - 7:21 PM

The "it must be crap if it does not have a brand name on" is a dam stupid statement. It is obviously someone who doesn't understand the technical terms used in the specifications list so relies on the name on the box as an indication of quality. Bad Idea.

I have used some of these Chinese studio flash units and to be honest they are fantastic value for money, treat them right and they will last quite a while also If you by the right ones they will fit standard type accessories eg spill kills.

Enjoy your lights.

779HOB
    779HOB  2999 forum posts United Kingdom
    23 Apr 2013 - 7:24 PM

Quote: I have used some of these Chinese studio flash units and to be honest they are fantastic value for money,

And more than likely the same inner workings as the name brands.

scottishphototours

Quote: The "it must be crap if it does not have a brand name on" is a dam stupid statement. It is obviously someone who doesn't understand the technical terms used in the specifications list so relies on the name on the box as an indication of quality. Bad Idea.

You referring to me?? Qualified Electrical and Electronic Engineer who understands the technical terms perfectly, thank you, and also values the need to buy from a quality brand. When it all goes t*ts up with your flash unit from China, see what kind of help you'll get from Amazon or their retailers.

Me? - I know I can walk into Calumet, make my complaint and get the unit repaired or replaced there and then. China can't give that kind of service...

Sooty_1
    Sooty_1 Critique Team 41176 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
    23 Apr 2013 - 9:14 PM

I think it's a big power kit for shooting children in a small space. I'm guessing, but most lofts don't have much headroom, and thus not much space, so that will limit you especially if you plan on anything larger than babies and head shots. Even so, you might be spending all your studio time crawling on hands and knees as a lot of time you need the lights higher than the subject.

Softboxes take a bit of space too, but help modify the light. It would be good if you have space to move the lights around, and closer/further and if the lights turn down to 1/32 that will help, but check your kiddy doesn't have a suntan after the photoshoot!

My advice, if you're new to it, is to start simply, with one light only and see what you can do with that. Adding more lights complicates things, especially in a small space. Try different things, different positions for the light(s) and maybe even keep notes to help for the future. I wouldn't worry about more gadgets and equipment for now, except a reflector or two, until you've explored the options with what you have.

Nick

Chrism8
    Chrism8  7743 forum posts England13 Constructive Critique Points
    24 Apr 2013 - 8:25 AM

Quote: One of the togs at the club has bought these and is very pleased...

I to have used a set of these for almost 4 years now, at least twice a month, very pleased with them, only one has given a problem and that was down to user abuse ( 3 togs trying to shoot faaaaaaaaaaaar to fast at the same time ) and blew the tube.

Chris

Last Modified By Chrism8 at 24 Apr 2013 - 8:26 AM
    redsnappa
    redsnappa  111898 forum posts United Kingdom
    24 Apr 2013 - 9:32 PM

[quote]Me? - I know I can walk into Calumet, make my complaint and get the unit quote]I know the price of repairing one Elinchrom flash head could probably buy 3 or 3 sets of the Chinese flashes.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.