Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Would you do this?

jonah794 5 1.7k 11 United Kingdom
2 Mar 2010 7:17PM
I recently was at a barmitzvah of a friend where I heard a story about one of the friends who was a photographer. I will recite it to you:

"I received a letter from our friend today, and here is what he wrote: "Dear...... I am afraid to inform you that I am not able to accept your invitation. I will only be present at your party IF I am the photographer. I cannot be present as a friend, only if I get paid.""

Do you think this is right? Do you see it as:

a) He is a close friend, who may be a photographer but should still come to the event if free! Why on earth should he just dissmiss it because he's not getting his work?

b) He is missing out on some jobs he could get.... and weekends are the money-making time for wedding and barmitzvah photographers!

In the end, my friend's Mum decided to have him to do the photographs, so he could be there with them. However, on the day, instead of being present to take the pictures and enjoy the party and get paid, he sent somebody else who the family had never met! What do you think? Just interested to see what the Point of Views are from photographers. I know what my family and their family thinks! Smile

Jonah

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

roxpix 11 2.2k 11 Scotland
2 Mar 2010 7:23PM
purple monkey dishwasher
JJGEE 9 6.4k 18 England
2 Mar 2010 7:24PM

Quote:I cannot be present as a friend, only if I get paid

Then that person is not a friend.

Sorry for being blunt.
f8 11 9.2k 22 England
2 Mar 2010 7:28PM
I would remove him from my address book.
2 Mar 2010 7:30PM
I agree with you Smile
AshTree 5 1.7k 6 England
2 Mar 2010 7:41PM
Appalling behaviour and doesn't deserve to get work, never mind keep friends!
Les_G 7 148 4 Scotland
2 Mar 2010 7:52PM
I'm amazed he was asked with that attitude....definite one to take off the xmas card list!
2 Mar 2010 7:53PM
He was asked only as he was a good friend (or at least he was before). Wink
I would have told him he was welcome but leave his camera at home.
He added insult to injury by sending someone else to do the job, but he'll probably be very rich in a short time as he appears to have no scruples.
2 Mar 2010 8:21PM
Well, I would not have paid him to come to my event as a friend! I think his manner was dispicable, not only dismissing an invitation simply because he feels he is missing some possible work, and then being hired as photographer, and not even showing up as himself a friend and photographer!

My barmitzvah (yes I'm Jewish) was two days ago, and the photographer there was our friend, but we knew how good she was so invited her to join in and photograph. So she did most of the photography and brought a friend too Smile It worked well.
User_Removed 10 17.9k 8 Norway
2 Mar 2010 8:25PM

Quote:My barmitzvah was two days ago

Vershnikit?

Wink

Bin 'The Friend' Jonah... as if you needed us to advise you that.
2 Mar 2010 8:27PM
Of course Mike Smile Your first word confuses me a tad as google don't have the answer this time Sad Wink
2 Mar 2010 8:41PM
Bin = get rid of Jonah...

Wink
2 Mar 2010 8:50PM
Don't you mean Friend = Somebody who should be loyal Wink
2 Mar 2010 8:55PM
LOL!

Grin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.