Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Would you trust amazon ??

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Nick_G
Nick_G e2 Member 526 forum postsNick_G vcard England
13 Jul 2012 - 1:13 PM

I've got just over a grand to spend on a new camera (I've made my mind up on which one). Have any of you used Amazon to buy a new camera ?if so, what was your experience ,was it a UK spec model, was it delivered on time. All things considered were you satisfied with the product? or wouldn't you use Amazon at all. To be honest I've never spent that amount on line and I'm just a touch concerned although I will be using my credit card. I guess really i should just dive in and do it, but you do hear some horror stories !! Thanks for looking.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Jul 2012 - 1:13 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139544 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 1:20 PM

I bought my Canon 5D Mk II from Amazon. It was about 2k at the time (shortly after launch).

Actually I buy a huge amount of stuff from Amazon, including photographic equipment. I regard it as one of the safer online places to buy from.

Newdevonian
13 Jul 2012 - 1:25 PM

Ditto! I have purchased a number of large ticket items over the past 5 years with no problems.

mikehit
mikehit  56688 forum posts United Kingdom11 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 1:26 PM

I bought my Canon S90 thourgh Amazon but for a full DSLR I would contact the shop directly either online or by phone.
If you do go through Amazon make sure you know who the camera is actually coming from - there are an increasing number of shops who have a good price because they are selling 'grey' imports and the camera may not come with English manuals or may not have UK warranty. If I contact the shop directly I know who I am dealing with and I can also get good customer service.

Prices at Jessops and (for some models) PCWorld/Comet are pretty good at the moment, even compared to internet prices, so you can get down there, handle the camera and buy from them.

ikett
ikett  4352 forum posts England
13 Jul 2012 - 1:47 PM

Cannot fault Amazon, must have spent too much either direct ot through the 'shops', bought a 300.00 item from a 'shop' paid exrta for express delivery, payment via Amazon.
After 2 weeks nothing had arrived, Amazon issued a full refund, one week later the bloody thing arrived smashed to pulp with a sorry sticker from the Royal Mail I posted it back, and received a 20.00 credit.

The problem is you have to really know what you want.

Big Bri
Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom
13 Jul 2012 - 1:50 PM

Yeah, I've bought hundreds of things from Amazon, never had a problem..

justin c
justin c  104534 forum posts England36 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 1:54 PM

I'd have no problem buying from Am.z.n.

puertouk
puertouk  31080 forum posts United Kingdom17 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 1:54 PM

I use Amazon quite a lot and have always had good service from them. I've purchased items only to be told at a later date they were out of stock, but on the whole it's 100%. You are guaranteed if you have any problems, it will be sorted out and you will get a full refund. If you purchase any goods on Amazon, even though it's not Amazon themselves, you are still protected. It's really a no-brainer purchasing goods through them.

f11digital
f11digital  1185 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 2:35 PM

The only thing I would add is to make sure you're not buying from amazon marketplace - then you really have to be wary of who is actually selling you the gear.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315622 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 2:38 PM

I found Amazon Market place to be very good, just make sure you know who your dealing with.

Dave_Canon
13 Jul 2012 - 3:02 PM

I buy several items a week from Amazon. I would generally be careful about any comapny in the market place, if it was a important item. However, you pay Amazon so the contract is with Amazon. If you do have a problem, I am sure Amazon will deal with it. A Club member bought PS at a low price from the Market Place and it turned out to be fake so they contacted Amazon who investigated and called back later that day. The offered her a genuine copy from Amazon's own stock for the same price or a full refund; she took the Amazon copy as it was a bargain. They also informed her that this company who sent her the fake was no longer part of the market Place and it was true that they has disappeared. Yesterday I bought a new DAB radio and the cheapest in the Market place was only 40p cheaper than the Amazon price when you added postage so I chose to buy direct from Amazon.

Dave

teepee
teepee  11702 forum posts England
13 Jul 2012 - 3:16 PM

If there is ever a problem with independent ie marketplace suppliers, Amazon will sort it out with no hassles. They are very good....

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
13 Jul 2012 - 4:42 PM

I've used Amazon many times over many years and had one problem which was dealt with promptly. I'll continue using them.

SlowSong
SlowSong e2 Member 64537 forum postsSlowSong vcard England29 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jul 2012 - 4:53 PM

I've never had a problem with Amazon, even when returning non Amazon-supplied items.

bagman
bagman  365 forum posts United States
13 Jul 2012 - 5:02 PM

I have gotten five camera,s a long with many,many other items and even when some thing was wrong they all ways made it right for me in a reasonable a mount of time.
I would use them any time but all ways order through amazon it,s self ,not some seller on there site.
Frank.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.