Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Wrong ID

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
mossy
mossy  146 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2013 - 9:30 AM

Im into wildlife, and thats why i got into photography to record the sightings i come across. In some cases it has proved useful to ID some things over the years. I dont consider myself a photographer as such, a camera is just a tool i use on my wanderings.

Of late ive noticed a few photographs of birds that have been wrongly identified. My question is, would you be offended if someone pointed out your error, i did contact via a PM one member to point out a mistake, but a stoney silence ensued and the title was never changed.

So would you be offended,or glad to have such input. Ive asked for ID confimation myself a few times and been happy with the response, but if the poster has not asked for ID, is it wrong to offer it up, it is after all a photography site.

It all probably stems from my need to know what im seeing, appreciate any feedback.

regards brian.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
28 Jun 2013 - 9:30 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123
cats_123 e2 Member 103956 forum postscats_123 vcard Northern Ireland24 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2013 - 9:39 AM

I'm always happy to be put right.....my wife does it every day!!! WinkGrinGrinGrinBlush

mikehit
mikehit e2 Member 45761 forum postsmikehit vcard United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2013 - 9:43 AM

I would be OK if someone corrected my identification. I would also thank the person who corrected me, but some people don't like it. Maybe the advice was appreciated but they could not be bothered to go back and change it or reply to you.

GarethRobinson
28 Jun 2013 - 9:45 AM

Im am always glad when I get corrected as far as giving something the wrong ID, especially when it comes down to wildlife. I really don't see why anyone should be offended, really they should say thank you, learn and move on.

Gareth

chalkhillblue
chalkhillblue e2 Member 5143 forum postschalkhillblue vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2013 - 10:11 AM

I do try carefully to get the right ID for every post but we all make mistakes, I would be very pleased that someone took the time and trouble
to correct my error and would certainly learn from their comments and thank them.
David

tomcat
tomcat e2 Member 85742 forum poststomcat vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2013 - 10:26 AM

I always thought that was why we were here - to accept and give advice where appropriate, whether of a photographic nature, or an ID issueGrin

Ade_Osman
Ade_Osman e2 Member 114435 forum postsAde_Osman vcard England36 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2013 - 10:49 AM

Bring it on say, hell I'm always making mistakes.....

NaturesHaven
NaturesHaven e2 Member 2246 forum postsNaturesHaven vcard England5 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2013 - 11:12 AM

I have no problem with anybody who corrects me if I've made a mistake with an ID of anything and not just birds.............if I see someone is asking for an ID of a specific critter ie: spiders and such like I will direct them to someone who I think will be able to ID the critter.......example of this is CarolG who is very knowledgeable in this little critter world.............GrinGrinGrin

Some folks do take the hump when corrected, but we have the internet which carries so much info that a little hunting goes a long way.............some peeps don't like advice either..........they cut you off..........GrinGrinGrinGrin So I don't bother any more......SadSad

I'm all for learning but we are all different.............I must say I have never received a PM from a member asking me to mind my own business.............there's always a first time for everything............TongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

Carry On Camping and above all else enjoy yourselves.............GrinGrinGrinGrin

bricurtis
bricurtis e2 Member 81873 forum postsbricurtis vcard England48 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2013 - 12:20 PM

Quote: I must say I have never received a PM from a member asking me to mind my own business.

I have Grin - water off a ducks back. If I can help somebody - - - - - - vain.!!

davereet
davereet e2 Member 9185 forum postsdavereet vcard United Kingdom
28 Jun 2013 - 1:26 PM

I was corrected over the name of an Orchid I posted, I just change the title and thanked the contributor and walked away a little wiser.
We all make mistakes and can learn from them, being corrected on the name of an obscure flower is the least of my problems. Smile

Dave

brian1208
brian1208 e2 Member 109963 forum postsbrian1208 vcard United Kingdom12 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2013 - 2:05 PM

As someone who regularly "gets it wrong" - please keep on correcting as its the only way we can learn Grin

wizardsmagic
wizardsmagic e2 Member 940 forum postswizardsmagic vcard England
28 Jun 2013 - 3:12 PM

Happened to me twice in two uploads. One bird, one butterfly. I think the first comment on both was to advise of the error. I would much rather people point this out than have incorrect information in my portfolio. And it made me look up the difference on various wildlife sites, so I learnt even more.

Craggwildlife
Craggwildlife e2 Member 567 forum postsCraggwildlife vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
28 Jun 2013 - 3:28 PM

[quote]Im am always glad when I get corrected as far as giving something the wrong ID, especially when it comes down to wildlife. I really don't see why anyone should be offended, really they should say thank you, learn and move on.

Couldn't agree more..

David

mdpontin
mdpontin  96016 forum posts Scotland
28 Jun 2013 - 3:49 PM

Quote: ...a stoney silence ensued and the title was never changed

Of course sometimes that can be because the person in question hasn't been around, or doesn't often check their PMs. Smile

I agree with the other replies. Be polite and friendly in pointing out the mistake. In most cases, it will be well received. In the remaining cases...don't worry about it.

Jestertheclown
28 Jun 2013 - 5:32 PM

It's happened to me a few times, although I've never been PMed; the errors were pointed out below the image in question.
Each time I responded with a thank you and a light-hearted dig at my own lack of knowledge.
I can understand though that many people might get the hump at having their errors pointed out.
Look at the childish way in which some people on here turn into prima-donnas if you point out, however politely and correctly, that their image is in some way less than perfect.
By correcting the ID, you're in danger of touching that same nerve.

Bren.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.