Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

WTF

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315222 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 8:27 PM

Got a shock this afternoon from my gas supplier, they have just realised they have been wrongly calculating my gas billing for three years.

These bills were taken and calculated from actual meter readings, not estimates and they have admitted they had been applying the wrong formula for my 4 digit gas meter, they claim they believed I had a 5 digit meter and based there formula on that. I can`t believe there incompetence and they must be total numskulls not to realise something was wrong 12 meter readings ago when I first changed supplier, how can they assume you have a five digit meter and calculate a bill on that, when even there meter readers right down a four digit number.

Anyway it turns out they grossly under charged me and now they expect payment in full, plus they want to more or less double my monthly payment.

The under payment runs into a small fortune, has anyone else ever had a similar problem. I can`t find much by goggling, just a few that have been overcharged for the same reason, total incompetence.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/watchdog/2009/01/are_you_paying_too_much_for_ga.html

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
26 Jan 2012 - 8:27 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 8:33 PM

Jeez Paul thats horrible Sad

i caught the tail end of a programme last night where a business having similar circumstances to you was being charged nearly 60k for 5 years of undercharging but I think they said that as a consumer any errors in miscalculations the energy companies could only try and claim one year, not that this is right anyway.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022913 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 8:33 PM

drag it out for eight weeks amd then contact the ombudsman

dougv
dougv Site Moderator 108376 forum postsdougv vcard England3 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 8:34 PM

They can't expect you to pay the owed amount in full as it was down to their incompetence and nothing to do with you.
I would ask them to agree to a repayment plan and if they refuse just make sure they get plenty of bad publicity.

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 8:38 PM

i wouldnt pay at all, THEIR meter readers, THEIR incompetence and most of all for 3 YEARS?!?!?!? create a HUGE hu har and theyll run away or settle quietly.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
26 Jan 2012 - 8:43 PM

As has already been pointed out If this is a consumer bill then the most they can charge you for is 12 months. If its for a business premises you are really screwed.

Quote: i wouldnt pay at all, THEIR meter readers, THEIR incompetence and most of all for 3 YEARS

That's as maybe but you are tied by contract to pay any under payment ragardless of fault.

Last Modified By cambirder at 26 Jan 2012 - 8:48 PM
779HOB
779HOB  21019 forum posts United Kingdom

As I understand it they can only make you make for 12 months worth - they have to write off the rest unless your registered with them as a business then they can claim as far back as they like. I don't think there is any way out of paying the 12 months but I guess they might let you pay it off over the coming year or something. Edit - cambirder types faster than me!

Last Modified By 779HOB at 26 Jan 2012 - 8:44 PM
answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012602 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points

Rip off Britain
This was the programme Paul, dont know if it will help much.

mikehit
mikehit  56334 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 8:44 PM

I know that with credit cards, court judgements have deemed 12 months to be a reasonable time to correct undercharging errors. So if you apply the same principle they should only be claiming one year's correction. Although you can't blame them for trying, I agree with mohikan.

One glory of big business is that if the cost of the undercharging is less than a lawyer's fees they will often back down - and a few years ago that was estimated at 6,000. So create a godalmighty fuss.

One question is: didn't you think at any time 'goodness, these bills are low'....

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315222 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 8:48 PM

Lol I`m in total shock how can anyone apply a five digit formular to a four digit meter and not notice, they only picked up on it thanks to me complaining about an estimated bill following my last meter reading, it turned out the meter reader wrote 9999 as the reading.

Lol the even tried to accuse me of replacing my own meter Smile

Quote: One question is: didn't you think at any time 'goodness, these bills are low'...

Not really, the cold caller promised lower gas bills if I changed to them, I was pleasantly surprised after re- calculating a bill and arriving at the same amount.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Jan 2012 - 8:53 PM
Baz72
Baz72 e2 Member 530 forum postsBaz72 vcard Scotland
26 Jan 2012 - 8:48 PM

A good number of years ago i stayed in a 2 bedroom flat with another one above...after a few months i realised my gas bills were astronomical and didn't know why, in the end i started falling behind and had to get one of these card payment things, but when the guy came to install it he noticed i had been paying for upstairs and upstairs had been getting mine and advised me to get in touch with scottish gas ! so the bugger upstairs had a flat like a sauna while mine was like an igloo !!! did complain but nothing ever happened.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England
26 Jan 2012 - 8:49 PM

Is this a business or consumer bill Paul?

mohikan22
mohikan22  102187 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 8:50 PM

?!?!?!? ah yes because you have a degree in electrical working and gas workings of course,(maybe you have) and your a p9ikey so u can do that lol.? the brazeness of the gas company is unreal tbh!

Paul Morgan
26 Jan 2012 - 8:54 PM

Quote: Is this a business or consumer bill Paul?

Consumer

mikehit
mikehit  56334 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 8:55 PM

Quote: Not really, the cold caller promised lower gas bills if I changed to them, I was pleasantly surprised after re- calculating a bill and arriving at the same amount.

Hmm. If numbers they gave to you enabled you to calculate the same amount as your bill, then they are really on shaky ground.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.