Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

WTF

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

monstersnowman
26 Jan 2012 - 8:55 PM

I dont want to sound rude mate but ... did you not notice at any point in the last 3 yrs that your bills were CONSIDERABLY less than normal and therefore check the bills yourself ? Some would say, using your words, that someone who has considerably lower bills all of a sudden and doesnt make any moves to check the bills or have them checked in all that time is a bit of an incompetent numskull Smile.

It's easy to check your bill and quickly see what is going on, unless you dont want to let them or know of course and hope it goes innoticed - then of course youre playing a risky game and should expect it is highly likely to bite you in the backside one day and as such the big bill is not so much of a surprise as an inevitable consequence. Sorry mate. The 12 month things sounds reasonable though, as there should be a limit to which they let a bill run up when it is a situation they have contributed to to a large degree even if the customer also should and likely could have had some awareness of the situation developing.

Last Modified By monstersnowman at 26 Jan 2012 - 8:58 PM
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cambirder
cambirder  107202 forum posts England

Not as bad as it could have been then.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315347 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 8:57 PM

Quote: I dont want to sound rude mate but ... did you not notice at any point in the last 3 yrs that your bills were CONSIDERABLY less than normal and therefore check the bills yourself

I double checked every bill using there own breakdown, tariffs and the like, my calculations worked out the same.

I put the saving down to changing supplier and a new more economical gas boiler.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Jan 2012 - 9:03 PM
monstersnowman
26 Jan 2012 - 9:00 PM

Well I suppose its a case of you at least having had 2 yrs of ridiculously cheap fuel on them and take the last 12 months on the chin, spread over 12 months - seems fair.

User_Removed
26 Jan 2012 - 9:02 PM

Words fail me Paul - after all you have been through...

It has to be a case of collation of the facts and then invoke the Ombudsman mate a.s.a.p.

With you in spirit - again matey...

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012603 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 9:04 PM

Why should a consumer be responsible for checking that their bills are correct, surely that should be the job of the energy company? And how come three years, every bill is quarterly so taking this long to find out that theres been a mistake is more than just an error, its negligent isnt it?

User_Removed
26 Jan 2012 - 9:06 PM

Quote: its negligent isnt it?

Yup.

Hence the need to invoke the Ombudsman a.s.a.p.

answersonapostcard
answersonapostcard Site Moderator 1012603 forum postsanswersonapostcard vcard United Kingdom15 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 9:07 PM

You have to reach deadlock first though, hence the 8 weeks Keith referred to.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315347 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 9:20 PM

Quote: You have to reach deadlock first though, hence the 8 weeks Keith referred to

Thank`s yes I figured that was the case, and I don`t want to go dragging mud, I`d probably loose my job.

Quote: Why should a consumer be responsible for checking that their bills are correct, surely that should be the job of the energy company? And how come three years, every bill is quarterly so taking this long to find out that theres been a mistake is more than just an error, its negligent isnt it?

The thing is, you can only check using the same formula and tariff they use and print on your bills and all the bills balanced.

Quote: its negligent isnt it?

That`s how I see it Mike.

Quote: It has to be a case of collation of the facts and then invoke the Ombudsman mate a.s.a.p

Over the phone they wanted me to agree increased monthly bills and come to an arrangement to pay the under payment, I told them I wanted a letter in writing first and agreed to nothing over the phone.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Jan 2012 - 9:23 PM
CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 9:23 PM

A few years ago my electric meter readings were decidedly odd...the bill was getting cheaper and cheaper.....I phoned the company on numerous occasions and gave them the correct meter readings and it wasn't until one quarters bill was about 5 that they eventually realised the meter was playing up and replaced it with a new one........luckily they didn't charge me the estimated amount as it was their fault just like its their fault now. Don't give them a penny. If you have been phoning them and supplying information freely then its their fault...........Just the thread of Ombudsmen can be enough to get things sorted....it worked with my bank.

Paul Morgan
26 Jan 2012 - 9:29 PM

The meters quite old installed in 88 I believe, but its not faulty.

They believed I had a five digit meter and calculated using 4 digit readings, they apply a different formulas to different meters, as a consumer how are you supposed to know if they had used there own correct formula or not.

CathyT
CathyT e2 Member 87276 forum postsCathyT vcard United Kingdom18 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 9:32 PM

Its not down to you to check their end of the business......If you've been supplying them with the correct meter readings then thats about all you can do. The fact that THEY haven't applied the correct formula is their problem....Definitely phone the Ombudsman .

Quote: They believed I had a five digit meter

Its their meter that THEY have supplied..........arse and elbow comes to mind....and once again ..not your problem.

Last Modified By CathyT at 26 Jan 2012 - 9:35 PM
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
26 Jan 2012 - 9:33 PM

I didn't even know there are different digit nos meter and different formulas until now.....lol
Don't give them a penny if it is their fault!

Paul Morgan
26 Jan 2012 - 9:37 PM

Quote: Its not down to you to check their end of the business......If you've been supplying them with the correct meter readings then thats about all you can do

Lol they have been coming around reading my meter and have been supplying there own wrong readings and calculations Smile

Quote: I didn't even know there are different digit nos meter and different formulas until now.....lol

Neither did I until today Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 26 Jan 2012 - 9:37 PM
CathyT
26 Jan 2012 - 9:37 PM

Quote: The meters quite old installed in 88

So have they been calculating with the wrong formula since 88???

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.