Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

ww2 Photographic Location Required

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

KevSB
KevSB  101404 forum posts United Kingdom5 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 9:56 AM

I have a fully armed and authentic ww2 german Platoon requiring to do a photoshoot sometime in october but open minded. these are one if not the best group in the uk for this period and just want to raise there profile with good photography.

We want to do a photoshoot away from the public shows over a weekend, the group will be fully armed but no live ammunition will be carried, fully legal but for obvouse reason must be location away from public so not to cause a panic lol.
Camping in situ bringing out own tents ect, we are fully insured and will inform the relevent bodies like police we are at a location.
Quite happy to invite a group of photgraphers to come along and take part but limited numbers obvously. location again is open minded but derilict buildings would be a plus or old railway line ect, anything that could be used in period setting.

This is the groups website to give you an idea the quality of the guys involved, anyone have any connections for a possible location.

http://www.gdrecon.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
15 Aug 2012 - 9:56 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JN_CHATELAIN_PHOTOGRAPHY
15 Aug 2012 - 11:05 AM

Try the Channel Islands for authentic period setting.

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 12:14 PM

Kev,
i think there would be issues with the dissused buildings etc and insurances.

as it happens i know an ideal place and i have casual access myself to it because of the location of where i work, but i dont think it could be arranged for party to camp on there overnight and im not sure about a photographic shoot either.

to be truthful im not sure how to contact the owner but it is a large site with what look like battlefield craters everything, derilict offices and factory which was used for building / refurbishing rail waggons up to 1980. piles of burned pallets and stuff like that. loads of rusty sheeting on prewar buildings. the sites untouched since 1980. (apart from some raves in the 90s)

i can ask a few questions but the man who owns the adjacent land where i work (in Chesterfield) is on holiday for this and next week.

regards
Phil

KevSB
15 Aug 2012 - 3:34 PM

Thanks for that Phil, please do, Ive been racking my brains for a location myself. Camping is a requirement as the group come from across the country and need a place to stay overnight, can bring wood,water ect. I wondered about Annesley hall, the old stables block, its on private property but have no idea who owns it and would they allow a German unit, all through this group is very non political and the unit is a ordinary German unit and nothing to do with the less savory units of the regime it can still upset a few people.
Its such a minefield and in the past the group has got a location down to someone knowing the right person.

NEWMANP
NEWMANP e2 Member 61583 forum postsNEWMANP vcard United Kingdom574 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 3:50 PM

Ive been making prelim enquiries this afternoon and although the site is perfect, overnighting isnt a possiblity.

they havnt ruled out a morning or afternoon session photo shoot on the wasteland, i think that could be negotiated and would be pretty good too but the factory is considered unsafe and would be out of bounds.

additionally there are no toilet facilities available. anoher possibility may be Sutton Scarsdale hall near j29 of the m1. its a stabilised national trust ruin with just live on site warden attendands and gets very few visitors. you would have to contact the nat trust for that one but they may be play ball.

maybe you need someone with a large run down farm.

i dont know about Annesley Hall but a great aunt of mine was in service there For Lord Shayworth Muster

i will keep my eyes open for you

Phil

Last Modified By NEWMANP at 15 Aug 2012 - 3:51 PM
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314897 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 3:53 PM

The old GHQ line that runs along the ridgeway, plenty of old pill boxes, ww1 test trenches and the like.

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ridgeway/

Or how about Mapledurham village, ok there will be people but there used to it, its the place where they filmed "The Eagle Has Landed" Smile

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 15 Aug 2012 - 4:01 PM
KevSB
15 Aug 2012 - 6:01 PM

Thankyou both, very difficult but with 30 guys coming from across the country for this we need camping altho basic, I dont know the two locations that you mention paul but if its public land then permission will be hard to get, private land with permission is the only way forward on this, the farm Option is great but I dont know anyone, venues open to the public will welcome the group but will have to put a show on in return, The group wants to concentrate on a high quality photographic shoot without distraction.
Im sure we will find someplace.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314897 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 7:13 PM

Quote: I dont know the two locations that you mention paul but if its public land then permission will be hard to get, private land with permission is the only way forward on this, the farm Option is great but I dont know anyone

I know the area well, I lived in Whitchurch village for a fair few years.

You could try Mapledurham Eastate for permision to use there land and woods, I can see them showing some interest.

http://www.mapledurham.co.uk/index.php

Just up the road at Goring and Streatley I believe there is camping and a good sized hostel.

http://www.goring-on-thames.co.uk/html/streatley_youth_hostel.html

The area is also served well with rail stations.

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
15 Aug 2012 - 8:44 PM

Is anyone friends with local farmer who they could ask about this project? Sounds like a really interesting one.

KevSB
2 Oct 2012 - 4:54 PM

Just to let you know We have found A location for this that will suppass anything ive done so far, But unfortunetly on this occasion places are full, For reasons that will become apparent when it happens for now im sworn to keep it quiet.

Ive also recieved an invitation to great opportunity shortly involving a mansion, 17th century Models from gentry to butlers and staff, private and no public involved .a murder and much more . Am looking forward to this and a member of epz who asked me some time ago if he could come with me to an event is also coming along on this one and looking forward to learning from him. This is just a two person slot hopefully more contacts will be made and this will open up a few more opportunitys in the future.

Last Modified By KevSB at 2 Oct 2012 - 4:56 PM
KevinEllison
KevinEllison e2 Member 72497 forum postsKevinEllison vcard England
3 Oct 2012 - 10:51 AM

Quote: Quite happy to invite a group of photgraphers to come along and take part but limited numbers obvously

Quote: This is just a two person slot

Very limited in fact... Smile

KevSB
7 Nov 2012 - 12:07 PM

Well as I mentioned earlier in the thread we managed to find a location but due to it being on an airfield Numbers had to be limited on this occasion, as the plan was to go airborne and take pictures from the plane and security issues I could not invite some guests.

we had arranged to have a 1942 Fiseler Storch at our disposal and made plans to have units of the general staff, groundcrew inc Vehicles and troops on location, but unfortunetly thats where our luck ran out, the Vehicles and genaral staff broke down enroute, the british weather was abysmal and the aircraft was grounded and due to the high winds and constent rain so my opportunity to photograph was also rather limeted.
On this I collaberated with the group leader to process what I did have into period shots that we had research in the weeks leading up to this event, and most here are based on those origenal pictures and show you what we are trying to create. Overall a little bit of desaster but we are making plans to do this again and the idea is now being taken up by one of the major shows as a display for the public we have been told after the organiser saw these pictures.

319027-10151085879346058-1370544207-n.jpg
fullparade.jpg
536314-10151085876991058-153720565-n.jpg
409023-10151085878351058-783813857-n.jpg
578988-10151085875761058-979573546-n.jpg

This is an origenal image taken during the war
fi156-c1-5.jpg

Last Modified By KevSB at 7 Nov 2012 - 12:11 PM
Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 4:41 PM

Those really do look the part Kev...great work!

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
7 Nov 2012 - 4:50 PM

I agree with Pete. You really have got an authentic look there. Smile

chris.maddock
7 Nov 2012 - 5:32 PM

A superb job - very few people (including myself) would find it hard to believe that they aren't really shots from 70-ish years ago.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.