Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

X-Pro1

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

petemasty
petemasty  5155 forum posts England
19 Jan 2012 - 10:14 AM

Why is it not going to be needed Paul? Is there something you 'know' that we dont? Or is it just that the Af will be good enough? For certain, i think a lot of people will want it, based on the negative comments about the X100's 'unuseable manual focus'.

Personally I'd want it. I have it with my DSLR so cant see why such an expensive camera cant also have something akin to a DSLRs focus confirmation. I just cant get on with the 'focus-by-wire' as it currently stands. not responsive enough and far too many turns from close to infinity. It would be a huge improvement if the 'focus by wire' on the XPro could atleast go from close to infinity in much fewer turns.

however, i do really like the styling. It was brave of Fuji to break the current style mould (albeit a retro style) with the X100 and its paid off. XPro will be a huge seller despite any shortcomings.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
19 Jan 2012 - 10:14 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315681 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2012 - 2:51 PM

Quote: based on the negative comments about the X100's 'unuseable manual focus'

Who has made these comments, reviewers or users with not a lot of knowledge of there camera`s ?

The X100, X10 and the new X-10 pro are all based around range finders in there design and handling.

Goggz
Goggz  72301 forum posts Wales72 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2012 - 7:09 PM

Quote: But its not small

Damn sight smaller than a D3... Tongue

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2012 - 7:10 PM

You are getting one then, Pete.....Smile

petemasty
petemasty  5155 forum posts England
19 Jan 2012 - 7:44 PM

Quote: based on the negative comments about the X100's 'unuseable manual focus'

Who has made these comments, reviewers or users with not a lot of knowledge of there camera`s ?

The X100, X10 and the new X-10 pro are all based around range finders in there design and handling.

The x100 forum is where you can find such comments. All from users. Some have decided to sell on, I think most have decided to accept the fly by wire. I suppose the high expectation of the x100 was down to a lot of comparisons with the m9

Coleslaw. Am I getting one? My Pentax Kr fits the bill for me at the moment, so no. But never say never.

Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2012 - 7:47 PM

Ops, sorry, Pete, I was actually asking Pete (Goggz).....sorry....Sad LOL

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315681 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Jan 2012 - 9:15 PM

Quote: I think most have decided to accept the fly by wire

The thing is, the focus by wire is not as bad as being made out, its not perfect and it is a little fiddly that`s all.

There`s no need to keep rotating that dial either, just tap the AEL/AFL button then make fine adjustment with the dial.

Goggz
20 Jan 2012 - 11:24 PM

Quote: Ops, sorry, Pete, I was actually asking Pete (Goggz).....sorry....Sad LOL

Thinking of it Cole... but not until it's a cert that there is some benefit... might get a Kodak compact instead, they're bound to be cheap Wink

joshwa
joshwa ePHOTOzine Staff 4605 forum postsjoshwa vcard United Kingdom
7 Mar 2012 - 10:12 AM

Sample photos:
http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifim-finepix-x-pro1-sample-photos-18660

Do you have any questions about the X-Pro1 that you want answering?

Goggz
7 Mar 2012 - 6:33 PM

Quote: Ops, sorry, Pete, I was actually asking Pete (Goggz).....sorry....Sad LOL

Thinking of it Cole... but not until it's a cert that there is some benefit... might get a Kodak compact instead, they're bound to be cheap Wink

Seen it at Focus Cole - not getting one - too big, too heavy and waaaay too expensive!!!

Excelsior
Excelsior  2
14 Mar 2012 - 11:22 PM

It's smaller than my aging D200. It's considerably lighter than my D200 + 28-200mm lens. It's a perfect combination of weight and size as an alternative to my DSLR. I am hoping the sensor, without the filter, is as sharp as Fuji claims it will be. I am hoping the high ISO shots are as clean as Fuji claims it will be.

I'll wait at least 6 months to buy one just in case small problems come up like the light bloom problem on the X10. It's a brand new sensor based on new technology so it would not surprise me if they have problems when the camera goes into mass production.

E

MediumSizeUnavailable

probably it will have some problems. the x100 had (has) some as well. so it's probably a good idea to wait a bit. did you read the review in the review section? http://www.ephotozine.com/article/fujifilm-x-pro1-mirrorless-camera-review-18698

Excelsior
Excelsior  2
15 Mar 2012 - 12:09 AM

Read all of the hands on preview, reviews out there. The features of the camera, the quality of the Fujinon lenses, the aluminum body, the design has piqued my interest. Fuji is claiming the X-Trans CMOS sensor is equivalent or better than the Canon Full Frame 21.1 Megapixel sensor. Printing at A3 to A2 sizes, 21.1 Megapixels is more than I need, and will allow significant cropping. 12 megapixels is what I have now with my aging DSLR

If the camera can take full res photos as ISO1600 or ISO3200, then it will allow me to take pictures with natural light without the need of a flash. My current DSLR starts to generate blotching on black objects at ISO400. Starts to generate considerable noise at ISO800.

The prime lenses, F2, F1.4 are extremely bright comparable to DSLR lenses. The 18-200 lens I currently use is F3.5 to 5.6

Wo to upgrae what I have now to a smaller and lighter package, what is there not to like?

E

MediumSizeUnavailable

err... nothing? Wink

guess there are some significant(ly enough) differences for a number of people to stick with their dslr. not sure how the focusing speed performs on the X-pro 1, but can imagine it to be slower than most dslrs. I own a X100, and although I'm overall very happy with it, it does show quite some quirks. One that bothers me is the focusing distance when using the optical viewfinder. I prefer to use the optical viewfinder over the electronic viewfinder, but whenever you go close to a subject you need to switch to the electronic viewfinder. It quite annoys me, so it may put off others. And then with the electronic viewfinder focusing is slower again. But maybe this has been addressed on the x-pro 1 (don't know). I also read somewhere that the manual focusing has the same problem as the x100. not trying to slag the x-pro 1, just saying there may be other things to consider apart from the specs you mentioned above. Also, now you have a 28-200 mm lens on your dslr. To cover that distance with the x-pro1, you'll need the 3 lenses... and you need to carry them around all the time... not sure if the x-pro1 + 3 lenses are lighter than your current combination. The quality of the lenses may well make up for that though Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.