Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

X-rite Colourmunki Photo or Datacolor Spyder Studio 4

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Nikian
Nikian  2
6 Feb 2014 - 6:29 PM

Help is Needed please,
I would like to buy a Monitor/Printer calibrator, I have read reviews good and bad on two the Colourmunki Photo and Spyder Studio 4.
And now you have guessed it, my brain has now been fried and I'm totally confused to which is the better.

So now I'm going to ask the question to all you experienced photographers who are using one or both of the above to which one and why.

I have an Epson R3000 Printer plus a Dell Monitor, now I would like to take my Photography to another level and print my images.

Looking forward to your reply's.

Thanking you in advance

Ian.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
6 Feb 2014 - 6:29 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2014 - 7:09 PM

The basic spyder and colormunky kits start from as little as 70, but if your looking at calibrating a printer as well it gets a whole lot dearer.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/X-Rite-CMUNPH-ColorMunki-Photo/dp/B00169N0BK/ref=sr_1_2?...

Nikian
Nikian  2
6 Feb 2014 - 7:48 PM

Hi Paul,

Thank you for replying, but I'm looking at profiling my papers and Ink creating a ICC profile for that paper.
Also calibrating my monitor.

My maximum is about 400 to spend on the calibrating Kit, I have seen different price deals.

My problem is I don't know which is the better one Colourmunki Photo or the Spyder Studio 4.

crookymonsta
crookymonsta e2 Member 6704 forum postscrookymonsta vcard England10 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2014 - 8:09 PM

We tried a Colormunki and were never happy with the results, now a friend brings his Spyder round and problem solved.

Railcam
Railcam  8480 forum posts Scotland
6 Feb 2014 - 8:23 PM

Not sure it helps. I have a Colormunki and, after calibrating my monitor and producing bespoke profiles for my printer, my prints now match the screen so it works for me.

Good luck in your quest for the answer.
Keith

Nikian
Nikian  2
6 Feb 2014 - 8:45 PM

Quote: We tried a Colormunki and were never happy with the results, now a friend brings his Spyder round and problem solved.

Hi Crookymonsta,

What was the problem about the Colourmunki and what is good about the Spyder?

Nikian
Nikian  2
6 Feb 2014 - 9:01 PM

Quote: Not sure it helps. I have a Colormunki and, after calibrating my monitor and producing bespoke profiles for my printer, my prints now match the screen so it works for me. Good luck in your quest for the answer.Keith

Hi Keith,
Your monitor do you calibrate in the advance mode? Printer do you find the 100 patches for profiling enough? Is yours a colourmunki Photo?

MGJ
MGJ  6156 forum posts5 Constructive Critique Points
6 Feb 2014 - 10:50 PM

Colour munki works perfectly - fast too which the earlier Spyder was not. Do I find the 100 patches enough? No idea never counted, never worried. It works fine.

Limitation. When you do a new profile, I find that profile may need correcting if you do a pic which is predominantly one colour. Knowing that, I started doing a test print loading the pic I was about to do for analysis, which solved the problem. (That was only for something critical and to fine tune a decent result). Once one has tweaked a profile once or maybe twice, its pretty well set. I haven't changed the profiles for the Epson R2400 in a couple of years.

The P50 I have redone, but I use compatibles in that, and in any case the rendition with that is not not nearly as good as the 2400 - mind you that's a 9 ink system.

Railcam
Railcam  8480 forum posts Scotland
7 Feb 2014 - 9:20 AM

Quote: Hi Keith,
Your monitor do you calibrate in the advance mode? Printer do you find the 100 patches for profiling enough? Is yours a colourmunki Photo?

My monitor (an old Sony, 19" 4:3 aspect) is calibrated in the "simple" mode. It made a tremendous difference when I first did such it that I have never used the "advanced" mode. I recalibrate it every 4 weeks.

The printer profiling did exactly as it should so I think the 100 patches (2 x 50) are enough. I have two printers, an old Canon Pixma iP4000 (A4 dye printer) and a Pixma iP9500 Pro Mkll (pigment A3). The prints from both match and match to the screen, allowing for the fact that prints are reflected light and the screen is transmitted light.

It took me a while to decide to get a profiling device and the Colormunki Photo has not disappointed me. Purely my personal experience so I am sure others will disagree.

Keith

Nikian
Nikian  2
7 Feb 2014 - 7:23 PM

Quote: Colour munki works perfectly - fast too which the earlier Spyder was not. Do I find the 100 patches enough? No idea never counted, never worried. It works fine.

Limitation. When you do a new profile, I find that profile may need correcting if you do a pic which is predominantly one colour. Knowing that, I started doing a test print loading the pic I was about to do for analysis, which solved the problem. (That was only for something critical and to fine tune a decent result). Once one has tweaked a profile once or maybe twice, its pretty well set. I haven't changed the profiles for the Epson R2400 in a couple of years.

The P50 I have redone, but I use compatibles in that, and in any case the rendition with that is not not nearly as good as the 2400 - mind you that's a 9 ink system.

Quote: Hi Keith,

My monitor (an old Sony, 19" 4:3 aspect) is calibrated in the "simple" mode. It made a tremendous difference when I first did such it that I have never used the "advanced" mode. I recalibrate it every 4 weeks.

The printer profiling did exactly as it should so I think the 100 patches (2 x 50) are enough. I have two printers, an old Canon Pixma iP4000 (A4 dye printer) and a Pixma iP9500 Pro Mkll (pigment A3). The prints from both match and match to the screen, allowing for the fact that prints are reflected light and the screen is transmitted light.

It took me a while to decide to get a profiling device and the Colormunki Photo has not disappointed me. Purely my personal experience so I am sure others will disagree.

Keith

Thank You MGJ, for your input to my question.

Thank you Keith, for coming back and explaining more to me on how you use your colourmunki Photo.

Roll on Photography Show, you both have given me more confidence on buying the colourmunki photo

Ian

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1315626 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
7 Feb 2014 - 10:15 PM

Quote: We tried a Colormunki and were never happy with the results, now a friend brings his Spyder round and problem solved.

But did your problem not turn out to be software or a driver or something ?

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
8 Feb 2014 - 9:31 AM

A spectrophotometer (e.g. CM Photo) is theoretically a better device for profiling prints, whilst a good colorimeter will likely have the edge for monitors. The former is probably better as an all-in-one solution, though the CM Photo tests very poorly for monitor calibration accuracy on Dry Creek (one of the few websites to compare devices). Best way is to buy it and see if it works for you; few products are as unreliably reviewed on the internet as calibration devices.

Last Modified By GlennH at 8 Feb 2014 - 9:33 AM
Paul Morgan
9 Feb 2014 - 3:34 AM

Quote: Hi Paul,

Thank you for replying, but I'm looking at profiling my papers and Ink creating a ICC profile for that paper.
Also calibrating my monitor.

My maximum is about 400 to spend on the calibrating Kit, I have seen different price deals.

My problem is I don't know which is the better one Colourmunki Photo or the Spyder Studio 4.

Sorry but I can`t tell you what is better, I posed a similar question about a month ago, but I was only looking at calibrating my screen, I have no interest in printing at home.

I was looking for something to replace my 8 year old spyder, in the end I went for a colormunki display.

If your budget is 400, I`d have a look at the colormunki photo, you could also add a colorchecker passport and it will all still be in budget.

So you will be able to build camera profiles, printer profiles and calibrate your screens, all at the same time, all for 376 (Amazon prices)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/X-Rite-CMUNPH-ColorMunki-Photo/dp/B00169N0BK/ref=sr_1_3?...

Check out youtube, there are loads of tutorials.

Last Modified By Paul Morgan at 9 Feb 2014 - 3:38 AM
paddyman
paddyman  566 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Feb 2014 - 8:59 AM

Hi Ian.
I have a the same set up has you, printer r3000 using Epsom inks dell monitor, and various papers.
Last year I bought the colourmunki photo at the focus show.
I bought this has I will be moving to Australia and will not have the guy who was calibrating my equipment
using an eye one?
Since getting this and using it I have found that I am getting excellent results at a reasonable cost,
I believe I paid somewhere around 250 show price.

Alec.

Chris_H
Chris_H  101472 forum posts1 Constructive Critique Points
11 Feb 2014 - 7:49 PM

Hi Ian,

What papers are you looking at using? If it was me I would probably just go for a monitor calibration such as the Spyder 4 pro and not bother with the printing. If you are using manufactures such as Permajet or Fotospeed papers then they offer free custom profiles for their papers. You just print out the charts, send them to them in the post and they create a custom profile on much better equipment costing thousands of pounds. They then email you the profile.

This will give you a much better profile than the colormunki ones.

Chris

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.