Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

X-rite Colourmunki Photo or Datacolor Spyder Studio 4

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

New PortraitPro 12 SALE + 10% OFF code EPZROS814
Nikian
Nikian  2
13 Feb 2014 - 8:26 PM

Quote: A spectrophotometer (e.g. CM Photo) is theoretically a better device for profiling prints, whilst a good colorimeter will likely have the edge for monitors. The former is probably better as an all-in-one solution, though the CM Photo tests very poorly for monitor calibration accuracy on Dry Creek (one of the few websites to compare devices). Best way is to buy it and see if it works for you; few products are as unreliably reviewed on the internet as calibration devices.

Quote: Hi Paul,

Thank you for replying, but I'm looking at profiling my papers and Ink creating a ICC profile for that paper.
Also calibrating my monitor.

My maximum is about 400 to spend on the calibrating Kit, I have seen different price deals.

My problem is I don't know which is the better one Colourmunki Photo or the Spyder Studio 4.

Sorry but I can`t tell you what is better, I posed a similar question about a month ago, but I was only looking at calibrating my screen, I have no interest in printing at home.

I was looking for something to replace my 8 year old spyder, in the end I went for a colormunki display.

If your budget is 400, I`d have a look at the colormunki photo, you could also add a colorchecker passport and it will all still be in budget.

So you will be able to build camera profiles, printer profiles and calibrate your screens, all at the same time, all for 376 (Amazon prices)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/X-Rite-CMUNPH-ColorMunki-Photo/dp/B00169N0BK/ref=sr_1_3?...

Check out youtube, there are loads of tutorials.

Quote: Hi Ian.
I have a the same set up has you, printer r3000 using Epsom inks dell monitor, and various papers.
Last year I bought the colourmunki photo at the focus show.
I bought this has I will be moving to Australia and will not have the guy who was calibrating my equipment
using an eye one?
Since getting this and using it I have found that I am getting excellent results at a reasonable cost,
I believe I paid somewhere around 250 show price.

Alec.

Quote: Hi Ian,

What papers are you looking at using? If it was me I would probably just go for a monitor calibration such as the Spyder 4 pro and not bother with the printing. If you are using manufactures such as Permajet or Fotospeed papers then they offer free custom profiles for their papers. You just print out the charts, send them to them in the post and they create a custom profile on much better equipment costing thousands of pounds. They then email you the profile.

This will give you a much better profile than the colormunki ones.

Chris

Hi All, sorry for the late response as I have had no internet.

Glen,

This is the sort of thing that was confusing me with all the good & bad about the two devices, but talking & reading all the comments.
I suppose it is the question is now........ which is the priority the SCREEN or the PRINTER?
I understand where you are coming from buy one to see if it works. BUT trying to explain to my wife I think its better to reply to you guy's (than be running from my wife with the frying pan in her hand)

Paul,

Thank you for your effort & time you have put in with the link's & trying to make my decision easer.

Alex,

The paper I will be using is Marrutt Luster also that is a big help to the price you had paid so I will be looking at the show for the similar price?

Chris,

I will be using Marrutt Luster paper plus cheap aldi paper.
Yes Marrutt will do the custom profile for there papers & I have looked at doing that. But doing yourself will add a bit of pleasure and if it is right then come's a big smile.

Thank you all again

Ian.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
13 Feb 2014 - 8:26 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022911 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
13 Feb 2014 - 8:30 PM

Quote: I suppose it is the question is now........ which is the priority the SCREEN or the PRINTER?

Easy to say both equally but if you're home printing, then the printer is more important because it's your intended final output, therefore as long as it produces what you are happy with, then job done.

Railcam
Railcam  7470 forum posts Scotland
13 Feb 2014 - 8:54 PM

Quote: I suppose it is the question is now........ which is the priority the SCREEN or the PRINTER?

I would say both equally. The idea is for the print to match the screen. No point in having the printer profiled if you are adjusting your image on a screen which is way out.

Remember the equipment is trying to calibrate both to an industry standard. The ColorMunki Photo has an internal tile which is used to calibrate itself before you use it on your monitor & printer so that all are "in synch".

Very useful to be able to produce bespoke printer profiles if you buy some cheaper paper or use third party inks.

Keith

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.