Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

X-S1 -V- HS50EXR

Does anybody have experience of using both the X-S1 and the HS50EXR ? I intend buying one or other, but wonder if the HS50 with latest sensor and longer zoom + a few other tricks would be either as good as or better? than the X-S1. Currently there is only around 40 difference in price with HS50 at around 350 and the X-S1 at around 390. I've been put off the X-S1 previously due to lens droop and orbing, but understand all is now made in Japan and new production models don't suffer the problems. So far i can't find any problems being highlighted on Forums re the HS50. Any help in this matter will be appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
24 Sep 2013 8:50PM
I purchased the Hs50 but exchanged it for X-s1 as i found the image noise was slightly increased, I couldn't get on with the the rear screen and the camera didn't feel as good as the X-s1 in the hand.

1. Do you want 1200mm?...Hs50
2. Fast focusing?....Hs50
3. Better video?...Hs50
4. Can you live with a articulating screen?...a little flimsy for me but the resolution is good on both models
5. Viewfinder much much brighter on the X-s1
6. Do you want manual focus peaking?...Hs50
7. Do you want the Q button feature?...Hs50

Image quality is slightly better from the X-s1 but not worth worrying about. Focusing is much faster on the Hs50 although I've had no issues with the X-s1.
The Lens is far smoother on the X-s1 and the issue of lens droop has been sorted.

My advice would be to handle both models and weigh up your list of wants.

Dave
25 Sep 2013 11:06AM
X-S1 boasts a larger sensor and possibly better viewfinder, and that's it about the advantages. Not that I could say they are small advantages. As for HS50 - see very good post above. So which one to choose? I would go with HS50, and I had HS30 for more than a year by now. You are welcome to have a look in my gallery for HS30 images - HS50 won't be too far off that mark. But if you are ultimately after image quality - I would say buy a DSLR. It will be roughly the same size, same price but will beat these small sensor cameras hands down in everything except versatility ( which is not the last thing for me though).
Should you decide on X-S1 be aware of lens droop. It was characteristic to camera's early issue that can be met in sales till now. Diagnosing it is very simple - the lens will wobble a lot when fully extended. Fortunately, HS series was spared the trouble. Also, mind that X-S1 seems to be discontinued with HS50 release. If someone has different info - let them correct me. It means that should trouble happen- repair or replacement may become a headache. But overall both cameras are good, and it is ultimately up to you to decide on priorities.
Good luck!
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
25 Sep 2013 5:53PM
PC

I'm going to wait until you reply with answers that have been asked in the postings above. What i can say is lens droop isn't an issue on later models, the Hs50 has a stiff zoom sweep compared to the X-s1. Michael is correct in saying the X-s1 is discontinued although repairing and spares wouldn't be a problem for many years.
Although the Hs50 shots may look less noisy it is due to the in camera noise reduction. It is more aggressive even at the lowest setting which means less detail.

Dave
Thanks everybody who has commented. If Fuji have discontinued the X-S1 they're admitting they got their fingers burned on this model, (the earlier problems lost them sales and they had lots back for warranty repairs, or replacement or trade-in) which is after all in their 'X' series of cameras - supposed to be among their top range!? I will see if I can find a dealer who has both so I can handle/dry-try them both to get a real feel for them and then decide what I do. I understand from a review I read that the HS50 having a slightly smaller sensor is no problem, as more often than not, newer slightly smaller sensors often match or beat older larger sensors due to technological advances.
Thanks again.
PC
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
25 Sep 2013 8:07PM
I agree with your comments about the initial issues with the X-s1 ruined sales. Although i wonder if price was another factor with an entry level Dslr at roughly the same price.

Evaluate what you require from the camera, if its fast action focusing then I'd say the Hs50. If its landscapes or detail then from my experience I would say the X-s1

Dave
26 Sep 2013 8:23AM
I had an early HS10 and it gave super images and with those famous Fuji Jpeg colours, I now use the superb X10. I did read some where that there may be an X-S2 on the cards. Bridge cameras are one of the few growth areas [although very small] in camera sales.
The XS-1 was initially way to expensive like my X10 was but they both dropped to more acceptable levels. I never experienced the white orbs with my X10.
If Fuji were to bring out a DSLR I would be the first in the cue, I don't think this will happen because they are doing pretty good with their other formats. Its their sensor technology that impresses me.
I agree with the last comment, the larger sensor in the XS-1 will give more detail and definition and will be a superb tool for landscape. The HS50 will probably be a more versatile camera. I'm not a huge fan of super zooms, there are always compromises in optical performance and I would prefer to choose a more modest option.
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
26 Sep 2013 7:59PM
Hs50 re-sized down to X-s1 resolution. Otherwise straight of camera cropped examples

testfuji.jpg

Thanks Dcash29 - so HS50 is on the left and what would be same shot with X-S1 on the right ? If so the HS50 seems much more detailed!? if this is a like-for-like comparison.
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
26 Sep 2013 9:05PM
No incorrect. The X-s1 is on the left and the Hs50 is on the right.

Hold down your Ctrl key and press your + button 5 times to zoom in
10 Mar 2014 3:19PM
I have just sent x-s1 back to amazon after 5 days of use great camera BUT yet again Lens droop no sign of it when opened but with use loads of it , shame because wow what a great camera well made apart from the lens . if they sorted it out well worth buying, but reading comments all over web they dont even admit any faults with it . shame on you fuji .
10 Mar 2014 3:22PM
are they any faults with the HS50 is that lens ok anyone got a bad one
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
10 Mar 2014 5:03PM

Quote:I have just sent x-s1 back to amazon after 5 days of use great camera BUT yet again Lens droop no sign of it when opened but with use loads of it , shame because wow what a great camera well made apart from the lens . if they sorted it out well worth buying, but reading comments all over web they dont even admit any faults with it . shame on you fuji .

You obviously got the older model

Quote:are they any faults with the HS50 is that lens ok anyone got a bad one
The HS 50 lens is a different assembly to the Zs-1, so i believe
6 Apr 2014 1:25PM
No i purchased new model , model now withdrawn , so that says it all i have the HS50 canon and wow great little camera
dcash29 e2
9 2.0k England
10 Apr 2014 10:51PM

Quote:No i purchased new model , model now withdrawn , so that says it all i have the HS50 canon and wow great little camera

If you mean the Canon SX50 hs you might want to check your model due to this issue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.