Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

X2 multiplier

11 May 2009 5:56PM
I am thinking of buying a Canon 2X MKII Tele Converter Extender 2 X MK II to enhance my current kit but not sure if I would get the results I anticipate.
I intend using it with my Canon EF 300mm f4 IS prime lens to take it out to 600mm. Will the AF still work? I gather I will lose two f stops? Any other hidden problems??

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

geoffash26 11 2.5k United Kingdom
11 May 2009 6:05PM
You will loose quality and AF on your 40d would only recommend a 1.4x
with that lens and you will still get AF centre point only I believe and good quality
HTH
Geoff
stevie Plus
11 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
11 May 2009 6:35PM
I have the 300 F4 and have both 1.4X & 2X converters. The results with the 1.4 are fine; with the 2X the quality (contrast & sharpness) goes down quite a bit - not awful but enough for me to use this combination for 'emergencies' only. AF won't work except centre point with Canon 1 series bodies. There is a 'tape the contacts' trick on non-series 1 bodies (see elsewhere on this forum) but that sent the AF into sort of 'spasms' when I tried it.
11 May 2009 10:05PM
Thanks guys. Guess it'll have to be the 1.4. My main reason is that I am about to shoot Peregrins but for obvious reasons can't get too close. I had heard that there were all sorts of issues using the 2X and now I know.
Regards
StrayCat Plus
11 16.2k 2 Canada
11 May 2009 10:51PM
IMO, I would sell the 300mm and get a Canon 400mm f5.6. This is an excellent lens for bird photography, including one of the very best for birds in flight.
12 May 2009 9:07AM
Umm, food for thought. The main problem there is the amount of cash I'd have to find as I doubt I'd get any where near the 900 needed for the 400mm by selling my 300mm. Apart from that, I LOVE my 300. I've had great results over the years.
geniehawk 8 181 England
12 May 2009 9:22AM
If the lens is needed for a specific shoot would it not be possible to hire one for the immediate use?

Jeannie.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.