Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Exciting Updates to Free & Paid Memberships! Read More

X2 multiplier

I am thinking of buying a Canon 2X MKII Tele Converter Extender 2 X MK II to enhance my current kit but not sure if I would get the results I anticipate.
I intend using it with my Canon EF 300mm f4 IS prime lens to take it out to 600mm. Will the AF still work? I gather I will lose two f stops? Any other hidden problems??

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

geoffash26
10 2.5k United Kingdom
11 May 2009 6:05PM
You will loose quality and AF on your 40d would only recommend a 1.4x
with that lens and you will still get AF centre point only I believe and good quality
HTH
Geoff
stevie Plus
11 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
11 May 2009 6:35PM
I have the 300 F4 and have both 1.4X & 2X converters. The results with the 1.4 are fine; with the 2X the quality (contrast & sharpness) goes down quite a bit - not awful but enough for me to use this combination for 'emergencies' only. AF won't work except centre point with Canon 1 series bodies. There is a 'tape the contacts' trick on non-series 1 bodies (see elsewhere on this forum) but that sent the AF into sort of 'spasms' when I tried it.
11 May 2009 10:05PM
Thanks guys. Guess it'll have to be the 1.4. My main reason is that I am about to shoot Peregrins but for obvious reasons can't get too close. I had heard that there were all sorts of issues using the 2X and now I know.
Regards
StrayCat Plus
10 15.6k 2 Canada
11 May 2009 10:51PM
IMO, I would sell the 300mm and get a Canon 400mm f5.6. This is an excellent lens for bird photography, including one of the very best for birds in flight.
Umm, food for thought. The main problem there is the amount of cash I'd have to find as I doubt I'd get any where near the 900 needed for the 400mm by selling my 300mm. Apart from that, I LOVE my 300. I've had great results over the years.
12 May 2009 9:22AM
If the lens is needed for a specific shoot would it not be possible to hire one for the immediate use?

Jeannie.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.