Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

XP security

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    orangejuice
    7 Apr 2014 - 12:05 PM

Can anyone tell me whats what. With Miicrosoft ending their support for XP, security for my computer is supposed to be vulnerable but somewhere I think I read that if I use Google Chrome together with Avast (or similar) I am reasonably safe to continue with XP

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    7 Apr 2014 - 12:05 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

robthecamman
    7 Apr 2014 - 1:16 PM

make sure your uptodate with xp updates.also make sure your anti virus will keep supporting xp thats how i read it

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
    CTee
    CTee  777 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Apr 2014 - 1:34 PM

Hi,
    it depends on what you are doing with your PC! I would say if you are doing financial transactions then beware! The nasty people out there will be seeing how they can exploit any remaining operating system vulnerabilities, these will probably NOT be caught by your anti-virus.

It was quoted that about 46% of PC are still running XP so that is one heck a target to exploit, so the incentives are thereSadSad

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Apr 2014 - 1:54 PM

It's not "vulnerable" at the moment - what it means is that IF someone finds some new vulnerability, MS will not do an update to fix it.
    Anti-virus software will not necessarily keep you safe, as there is no way of knowing what new vulnerabilities may be found.

What Microsoft should do is offer all home users a free upgrade to Windows 7.

franken
    franken e2 Member 123183 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Apr 2014 - 2:01 PM

Quote: It's not "vulnerable" at the moment - what it means is that IF someone finds some new vulnerability, MS will not do an update to fix it.
    Anti-virus software will not necessarily keep you safe, as there is no way of knowing what new vulnerabilities may be found.

What Microsoft should do is offer all home users a free upgrade to Windows 7.

It would be a nice gesture from Microsoft but they won't!Smile

I'm currently on XP and have decided that as my computer is getting on a bit I'm going to upgrade it all next week.

I've looked on a few sites and have decided on what I want although I'm not surprised that the cost of having Windows 8.1 installed is lower than having windows 7 installed.

They obviously can't shift windows 8 and there's rumours of a replacement for it early next year.

Ken

orangejuice
    7 Apr 2014 - 2:14 PM

Well thanks for all the comments and advice. I do have a laptop working on 7 but I find XP a far easier system to operate. I can understand the system could not cope with modern apps but why can't they keep the layout the same as earlier editionsSad

Jestertheclown

Quote: They obviously can't shift windows 8 and there's rumours of a replacement for it early next year.

I think that may be just a rumour though Ken.
    Someone recently asked, on a forum on another site, how long a lifespan did MS predict for their current operating systems and the reply was that 7 is expected to be discontinued in 2020 and 8 in 2022. That info. was gathered from a reliable MS source apparently.
    Whether or not anyone chooses to believe it is another matter I suppose but it's a similar lifespan to that of XP.
    Admittedly Vista didn't fare quite so well.

Big Bri
    Big Bri  1315605 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Apr 2014 - 2:57 PM

Windows 8 will have a major upgrade - whether this becomes Windows 8.2 or Windows 9 has yet to be decided.

CTee
    CTee  777 forum posts United Kingdom
    7 Apr 2014 - 3:32 PM

Hi,
    you might consider it not vulnerable at the moment, but, surely with such a publicized event those interested in creating chaos would hold back until now and have one of heck a hackfest!!
    MS have been notifying people for a long time of this event and surely it would be wiser to be safer than wait until something nasty happens.
    Yes, the newer OS works differently it is also down to making better use of the current specs and tech advances since 2002 when XP was released.
    It is a bit like saying that Ford should still make a model T so we don't have to embrace what happens over the years!

Jestertheclown

Quote: Yes, the newer OS works differently

They don't work all that differently.

I migrated from XP to Windows 8 a little over a year ago, when 8 was available for 25.00 and I haven't looked back. It always puzzles me that so many people decry 8, saying that they can't use it, or it won't work for them.

If you use the tiled interface, then it's certainly different but there's no need to do so. You can set it up in minutes to behave exactly as Windows 7 does and if you can use XP, then you should have no trouble at all using 7.

Bren.

franken
    franken e2 Member 123183 forum postsfranken vcard Wales4 Constructive Critique Points
    7 Apr 2014 - 5:50 PM

The lifespans of supported Windows systems are as follows:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/lifecycle

Ken

Jestertheclown

Didn't get that quite right then!

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.