Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Yob Culture in 'Great' Britain

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Locked as requested.
deviant
deviant  103024 forum posts United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2005 - 10:27 AM

I would appreciate peoples opinions on the subject of violence and thuggery running amock in the UK.

Please look at this read the story and leave your thoughts for reading by the person featured in the picture. He's contacted me and told me he's found the comments so far both moving and helpfull to him so I want to generate more.

In order people don't mistake my motivation please do not click the image just comment share your reaction with me.

Thanks
David

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
29 Sep 2005 - 10:27 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

rletham
rletham  10890 forum posts United Kingdom
29 Sep 2005 - 10:53 AM

Unfortunately, this isn't a new thing and I don't think it's getting as worse as the media tends to portray it. I am now forty and have seen violence of many descriptions through my life. I grew up in a rough area where violence was part of the culture. At the age of 15, my best friend and I were kicked unconscious by a gang of 20. My wife Mel was also was seriously attacked at the age of 15 resulting in her teeth being punched out. She is still having treatment for them today.

Why is this so common? I haven't the faintest. We feel for your friend because we know what's it like. However this mindless violence is only one side of the coin. I could tell you many stories that would scare the daylights out of you, but for every one of those stories, I could tell you another of people who go out of their way to make this world a better place to live in.

keith selmes
29 Sep 2005 - 11:10 AM

The 'Great' in Great Britain is a geographical term.

deviant
29 Sep 2005 - 12:47 PM

The 'great' in britain could be banned under the trade descriptions act at present.

User_Removed
29 Sep 2005 - 12:52 PM

Quote: The 'Great' in Great Britain is a geographical term.

Not being nit-picky, but genuinely interested... Where is/was "lesser" Britain in that case?

c_evans99
c_evans99  107013 forum posts Wales1 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2005 - 12:56 PM

Yes there was - it's called Brittany today.

Ceri

Tooth
Tooth  95772 forum posts Ireland227 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2005 - 1:19 PM

as in Grand Bretagne and ..Bretagne (?)

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022894 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2005 - 1:21 PM

exactly it....Britannia Minor and Britannia Major as Geoffrey of Monmouth would have said.

c_evans99
29 Sep 2005 - 2:03 PM

dont mention Geoff.. I'm about a third into Francis Pryor's Britain AD... it's a fairly convincing argument tho can't tel who it pisses off the most - historians or hardcore welsh nationalists Smile

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1022894 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna31 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2005 - 2:07 PM

....does it matter?
Wink

c_evans99
29 Sep 2005 - 2:09 PM

so far i've had more sport from the hardcore nationalists... they so want to be a conquered people Smile

keithh
29 Sep 2005 - 2:13 PM

we-eeelllllll
Wink

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139395 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
29 Sep 2005 - 2:26 PM

Quote: Unfortunately, this isn't a new thing

No it sure isn't. It was a great deal worse in times gone by (e.g. the Victorian era).

It is also not exclusive to GB. So, whilst our heartfelt sympathies go out to the person concerned let's not carried away too much while indulging in the usual British sport of talking down our own country... which is a pretty exclusive British activity.

deviant
29 Sep 2005 - 2:54 PM

It's not about UK Bashing.

Currently I think a long hard look is required as things are sliding slowly down the toilet. We have a seriously bad drink culture, teen pregnancy 4 times worse than Holland and the a welfare time bomb to follow. Scotland now has the worst violent crime record in the developed world and England is close enough behind. You're safer in San Paulo than Manchester.

Had the pleasure of spending a long time working in Europe (Munich) where you where safe on the subway at 1am and I hardly ever saw a drunk, never saw a yob or a fight. I came back and was apalled by the violent culture we have evolved into.
D

stuleech
stuleech  9210 forum posts
29 Sep 2005 - 4:57 PM

i don't know where you heard that fact about Scotland but New York i'm pretty sure has the highest crime rate, the USA also has 2 million reported assaults per year compared to 400,000 in the UK(which works out less percentage wise). We also have quite a low murder rate.

I obviously feel for your friend and it is horrifc but trying to say that Sao Paulo is safer than Manchester is just rubbish, I'd like to see your chances in Sao Paulo doing what you'd do happily in this country

Stu

Attention!

This topic is locked.
Reason: Locked as requested.