Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

You Are Not A Photographer

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Leave a Comment
    • «
    • »
    Consulo
    Consulo  10763 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Sep 2011 - 3:33 PM

Apologies if I'm reposting a site that's already known on here, but someone I follow on twitter just posted a link to the site of the thread title. Now I know a good image is in the eye of the beholder, and that what works for one may not work for another, but the examples on this site are pretty shocking, and I'm under the impression that most shots are taken by people who are advertising their... services, as a photographer.

Anyhoo, here's the link:You Are Not A Photographer

Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links 
    13 Sep 2011 - 3:33 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Consulo
    13 Sep 2011 - 3:52 PM

I can't edit my post above, so I just thought I'd mention that some of the judgement handed out by these two women is quite harsh, but I can see where they are coming from. If people are going to be paying good money for photographic services, then you should expect a certain standard of shots.

Fluke
    Fluke  659 forum posts Wales
    13 Sep 2011 - 4:11 PM

bookmarked!

thanks for this, hilarious Grin

User_Removed
    13 Sep 2011 - 4:40 PM

Hilarious....yes.

But where does it sit with all the other comments on EPZ threads about stealing images from Flickr, breaching copyright, etc., etc??

ikett
    ikett  3329 forum posts England
    13 Sep 2011 - 4:49 PM

Amazing, just spent half an hour laughing, brilliant, (bookmarked).

Consulo
    13 Sep 2011 - 4:54 PM

Quote: Hilarious....yes.

But where does it sit with all the other comments on EPZ threads about stealing images from Flickr, breaching copyright, etc., etc??

Well that's a fair point.

From a personal pov, I am somewhat uneasy about sites like these. Yes, it highlights how some people just seem think that because they have a camera that they can go out and advertise a professional service, when what they are producing in terms of quality is very wanting indeed. However, I suppose if the people who have had these shots taken for them are happy, then who are these two women (or indeed anyone else) to judge?

I think more than anything, looking through that site has brought into focus (sorry) just how much the democratisation of photography, particularly how digital photography has aided this process, has damaged the profession. In writing that I'm not saying that the opening up of photography to more people is a bad thing (far from it, it's opened up a creative outlet for countless people and that can only be a good thing, plus it's helped very talented people to turn pro), but it's definitely created a tier of photographic business' run by people who have no eye for photography at all, and it's driven down revenues of those talented individuals on whose livelihoods photography depends.

User_Removed
    13 Sep 2011 - 5:13 PM

I really hope that most members read this!
    There's some great reading there.
    How true. Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Sep 2011 - 5:31 PM
    pulsar69
    pulsar69  101611 forum posts United Kingdom6 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Sep 2011 - 7:10 PM

Excepting when I read this artice it put me in mind of a local photography company whos entire work almost belongs on here , then imagine my surprise when I see their link in the sponsors at the right ! read with a pinch of salt and an understanding the aim of the site is to make money out of peoples poor experiences , I for one wont be bookmarking it , it belongs in file B1N

RogBrown
    RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Sep 2011 - 8:19 PM

Well I thought they were quite good. Smile

User_Removed
    13 Sep 2011 - 8:21 PM

You would Rog!!!

Wink

Last Modified By User_Removed at 13 Sep 2011 - 8:21 PM
    RogBrown
    RogBrown  72997 forum posts England10 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Sep 2011 - 8:37 PM

You should have seen the photos of our wedding. Compared to them, these are superb. We never ordered any prints - still got the proofs somewhere. I'll post a couple if I can find them.

spaceman
    spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
    13 Sep 2011 - 10:07 PM

Quote: Now I know a good image is in the eye of the beholder

You got that right. I've just taken a rare look at the EC/HC galleries and there is some truly eye-watering s*** in there.

As for the photographs in question - they look pretty bad to me but my opinion is irrelevant, as are the opinions of those commenting upon them. The only opinion that counts is the opinion of the customer.

JackAllTog
    JackAllTog e2 Member 53544 forum postsJackAllTog vcard United Kingdom58 Constructive Critique Points
    14 Sep 2011 - 5:00 PM

Didn't do much for me apart from reminding me what not to aspire to - but the odd few cool ideas too even if the execution was not great. we all gotta start somewhere and some of these early starters may even try starting a business straight away. I bet they did not get many bookings on the back of these shots.

• «
    • »

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
    Password:
    Remember me:
    Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.