Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

You cannot call yourself a photographer unless you do your own printing

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Hazelmouse
14 Nov 2013 - 1:04 PM

Said to me yesterday.

Discuss.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
14 Nov 2013 - 1:04 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH
GlennH  91918 forum posts France1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2013 - 1:07 PM

That'd rule out half of the world's accepted greats. So it can only be nonsense - two separate skills.

keithh
keithh e2 Member 1023027 forum postskeithh vcard Wallis and Futuna33 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2013 - 1:08 PM

Or in other words ....unless you bought a printer and are capable of mastering the clicking of a mouse.

Pompous tosh. Wink

GarethRobinson
GarethRobinson e2 Member 8992 forum postsGarethRobinson vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2013 - 1:19 PM

Bull

mikehit
mikehit  56457 forum posts United Kingdom9 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2013 - 1:31 PM

Probably said by someone whose highly crafted and labour-intensive A3 print was beaten into second place of his club competition by a holiday beach scene printed at HappySnaps the night before.

GlennH
14 Nov 2013 - 1:37 PM

I was reading the other day that Sebastião Salgado, who 'shoots digital', doesn't print, doesn't use a PC, and doesn't lower himself to 'chimping' either. Clearly he needs to rethink everything.

ikett
ikett  4351 forum posts England
14 Nov 2013 - 1:39 PM

Quote: unless you bought a printer and are capable of mastering the clicking of a mouse.

Pompous tosh.

Often thought the same myself all this talk of profiling and such like.

I own two printers, both Canons a Pixma pro 9500 Mk2 10 inks which cost between £90 / 130 a set, and an iX6550 on a continuous ink system (4 colour) that cost £35.00 and comes with enough ink for 500 A3 prints.

Very few people can see much difference between the same image from either printer, in fact a lot prefer the iX prints.

I've had a print from both printers on display side by side for 10 months and to date can see no fading on either print.

So yep I agree
Quote: Bull

RocketRon
RocketRon  3 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2013 - 1:40 PM

Some photographers talk a load of rubbish to get attention.His photographs should be good enough to get the attention.

Hazelmouse
14 Nov 2013 - 1:43 PM

The speaker is a leading light in the camera club scene, runs workshops & (I think) is a past president of the RPS.

He also said it was a waste of time using a crop sensor camera.

He asked one woman whether she belonged to a camera club, she told him which one & was told she needed to go elsewhere and join 'the big boys' if she aspired to improve.

I'm not saying he isn't a good photographer & he can slate my photos as much as he likes IF he didn't come out with these remarks.

Gaucho
Gaucho e2 Member 122260 forum postsGaucho vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2013 - 2:03 PM

Pomposity reigns Sad

orangejuice
14 Nov 2013 - 2:03 PM

I think this dates back to the days of film, I heard it said frequently when established photographers were complaining about new blood entering the wedding market shooting colour and using outside labs for the processing

ikett
ikett  4351 forum posts England
14 Nov 2013 - 2:08 PM

Quote: shooting colour and using outside labs for the processing

Well and truly guilty in the 70's, 3 camera bodies and an assistant to reload films, hard work is a bloody understatement!

GlennH
14 Nov 2013 - 2:24 PM

It's clearly based on the romantic notion that a photographer should be able to carry his/her creative vision through from start to finish - a bit like Ansel Adams describing the print as 'the performance'.

However, in photography content is everything. Even if it's possible to be a master printer (of course, it is), that's a totally different issue to your initial instinct for a picture. It's a weird concept that photographers have to oversee a whole manufacturing process before they have any worth.

Last Modified By GlennH at 14 Nov 2013 - 2:26 PM
peterjones
peterjones e2 Member 123934 forum postspeterjones vcard United Kingdom1 Constructive Critique Points
14 Nov 2013 - 3:00 PM

Quote: You cannot call yourself a photographer unless you do your own printing

Photographers' rubbish, absolute piffle more especially if it came from an ex presidents of the RPS .....Tongue

Peter

JohnParminter
14 Nov 2013 - 3:14 PM

Quote: You cannot call yourself a photographer unless you do your own printing

Fair point, I don't call myself a photographer even though I have my images published in a book.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.