Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

You cannot call yourself a photographer unless you do your own printing

14 Nov 2013 1:04PM
Said to me yesterday.

Discuss.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
14 Nov 2013 1:07PM
That'd rule out half of the world's accepted greats. So it can only be nonsense - two separate skills.
keithh e2
11 23.4k 33 Wallis And Futuna
14 Nov 2013 1:08PM
Or in other words ....unless you bought a printer and are capable of mastering the clicking of a mouse.

Pompous tosh. Wink
14 Nov 2013 1:19PM
Bull
mikehit e2
5 7.1k 11 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2013 1:31PM
Probably said by someone whose highly crafted and labour-intensive A3 print was beaten into second place of his club competition by a holiday beach scene printed at HappySnaps the night before.
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
14 Nov 2013 1:37PM
I was reading the other day that Sebastião Salgado, who 'shoots digital', doesn't print, doesn't use a PC, and doesn't lower himself to 'chimping' either. Clearly he needs to rethink everything.
ikett e2
4 372 England
14 Nov 2013 1:39PM

Quote:unless you bought a printer and are capable of mastering the clicking of a mouse.

Pompous tosh.

Often thought the same myself all this talk of profiling and such like.

I own two printers, both Canons a Pixma pro 9500 Mk2 10 inks which cost between £90 / 130 a set, and an iX6550 on a continuous ink system (4 colour) that cost £35.00 and comes with enough ink for 500 A3 prints.

Very few people can see much difference between the same image from either printer, in fact a lot prefer the iX prints.

I've had a print from both printers on display side by side for 10 months and to date can see no fading on either print.

So yep I agree
Quote:Bull
14 Nov 2013 1:40PM
Some photographers talk a load of rubbish to get attention.His photographs should be good enough to get the attention.
14 Nov 2013 1:43PM
The speaker is a leading light in the camera club scene, runs workshops & (I think) is a past president of the RPS.

He also said it was a waste of time using a crop sensor camera.

He asked one woman whether she belonged to a camera club, she told him which one & was told she needed to go elsewhere and join 'the big boys' if she aspired to improve.

I'm not saying he isn't a good photographer & he can slate my photos as much as he likes IF he didn't come out with these remarks.
Gaucho e2
13 2.4k 2 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2013 2:03PM
Pomposity reigns Sad
14 Nov 2013 2:03PM
I think this dates back to the days of film, I heard it said frequently when established photographers were complaining about new blood entering the wedding market shooting colour and using outside labs for the processing
ikett e2
4 372 England
14 Nov 2013 2:08PM

Quote: shooting colour and using outside labs for the processing

Well and truly guilty in the 70's, 3 camera bodies and an assistant to reload films, hard work is a bloody understatement!
GlennH 9 1.9k 1 France
14 Nov 2013 2:24PM
It's clearly based on the romantic notion that a photographer should be able to carry his/her creative vision through from start to finish - a bit like Ansel Adams describing the print as 'the performance'.

However, in photography content is everything. Even if it's possible to be a master printer (of course, it is), that's a totally different issue to your initial instinct for a picture. It's a weird concept that photographers have to oversee a whole manufacturing process before they have any worth.
peterjones e2
12 4.0k 1 United Kingdom
14 Nov 2013 3:00PM

Quote:You cannot call yourself a photographer unless you do your own printing

Photographers' rubbish, absolute piffle more especially if it came from an ex presidents of the RPS .....Tongue

Peter
JohnParminter
7 1.3k 14 England
14 Nov 2013 3:14PM

Quote:You cannot call yourself a photographer unless you do your own printing

Fair point, I don't call myself a photographer even though I have my images published in a book.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.