Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

You're Cr*p

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

minicooper
22 Jun 2010 - 11:25 AM

I was talking to a work colleague last night about the Manchester Day Parade. I told I told that I had taken around two hundred images and by the time I sorted them out I would have about a fifty to eighty usable shots. He looked at me and said You're cr*p out of two hundred shoots you only get only fifty shots. I explained it is just the way it is in photography. Once you edit your shots you do lose quite a lot. Your thoughts please.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
22 Jun 2010 - 11:25 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

spaceman
spaceman  105166 forum posts Wales3 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2010 - 11:28 AM

Quote: Your thoughts please

You're crap.

Wink

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225751 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2010 - 11:28 AM

Depends how critical of your own work you are, I suppose.

macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
22 Jun 2010 - 11:44 AM

Presumably you're not using film then!

Just Jas
22 Jun 2010 - 11:51 AM

Quote: Presumably you're not using film then!

Recently I have been using mainly film. Just one roll of film, be it 36 exp 35mm or 12 on one 120.

Last week I took my 30D out with me instead - I came back with 464 images on the card.

So I guess you must be right, Ivan!!! Grin

However, I shall use practically all of them, being long shots and close up detail shots of the machines seen and examined by me on the day.

When I get around to editing them all, that is..!!!!! Grin

I reckoned that if I only took 5 minutes on each image it would take me something like 38 hours to complete the task!

The answer is that I only work on the image when I want to use it somewhere and leave the original image stored as was from the camera. This way the image is left to be re-worked how I may want it to be in the future.
jas.

Last Modified By Just Jas at 22 Jun 2010 - 11:59 AM
macroman
macroman  1115312 forum posts England
22 Jun 2010 - 12:08 PM

When I first got my A100 I went through an initial phase of taking hundreds of pics at events (over 600 in one day at one event)
I'd then spend hours sorting/editing them. (Ruddy waste of what time I have left Wink )
I am now being sensible and using digital more like film, in other words being selective about what I take. Last week in Cornwall I only took about 250 pics all week.
Makes life a lot simpler. Wink

Just Jas
22 Jun 2010 - 12:21 PM

The particular event that I photographed occurs only once in one year - so I guess that that amortises to about 1.27 images per day. Wink

sherlob
sherlob e2 Member 82309 forum postssherlob vcard United Kingdom125 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2010 - 12:27 PM

Last night I probably took over 60 exposures (probably nearer 100) with the hope of getting probably 5 - 6 'keepers'. Thats not to say I wasted my time, but rather I had the opportunity to act, review, reflect, plan and to act again in order to refine the composition and exposure. To me the non-keepers are not examples of poor photography, rather they represent part of a process to get the exact shot I want. They represent an essential part of my development of the image, and to me one of the real strengths to digital. I just couldn't afford to do this with film, and just because I use a digital process to get my image rather than doing it first time with film doesn't make me cr*p.

Helpful Post! This post was flagged as helpful
Coleslaw
Coleslaw e2 Member 913403 forum postsColeslaw vcard Wales28 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2010 - 12:28 PM

50 - 80 over 200 shots = 25 - 40%. That's to me is a lot.
Normally over 4GB (120 shots), I would be lucky if I get over 5 shots that I am happy with. And before you say it, yes, I am cr*p.... Smile

cameracat
cameracat  108578 forum posts Norfolk Island61 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2010 - 12:40 PM

Quote: I had taken around two hundred images and by the time I sorted them out I would have about a fifty to eighty usable shots.

All that means is the non keepers are not as good as the keepers, If you have very high standards I'd say that ratio is about right, Unless you have shares in a hard drive company, You really have to be " Ruthless " with what gets to be a keeper and what does not.

I'm a bit of an experimental nut, So quite often stuff gets binned because the experiment did not come out as expected, Or I just hated the resluts, What you bin is as subjective as the stuff you keep......Grin

Most of the time.....Wink

minicooper
22 Jun 2010 - 12:42 PM

At the moment it's 50 -80 . It will change each time I review the images. Again today a least another ten will go tomorrow who knows.Wink

Just Jas
22 Jun 2010 - 12:46 PM

If you want to obtain the infinite quality in your pics then the mathematical probability is that you would need to shoot an infinite number of exposures over an infinite period of time.

Most of us don't have that luxury(?) so it comes down to what you deem acceptable as a compromise.

We all set our own standards.
jas

Nick_w
Nick_w e2 Member 73846 forum postsNick_w vcard England99 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2010 - 12:51 PM

Quote: I would be lucky if I get over 5 shots that I am happy with. And before you say it, yes, I am cr*p.... Smile

No arguments there then Wink

A lot will depend on the event. But if I get just one image I'm happy with then to me its a success. I can spend an age fine tuning composition, exposure, filtration, waiting for "the light" etc, etc each step uses up images.

I'm working on a project at the moment - to date I've probably made 200 exposures and still not come up with what I'm looking for - and that doesn't include those on the camera back I delete.

ade_mcfade
ade_mcfade e2 Member 1014779 forum postsade_mcfade vcard England216 Constructive Critique Points
22 Jun 2010 - 1:07 PM

I've literally just started using the star rating feature on Capture One V5 (2 days ago in fact) and that's an interesting excercise

I shot some rock climbers last night and went through the shots rating them out of 5

probably about 5 to 10 out of 100 got a 5

thing is...

the climbers were all interested in the shots and took cards - so should I be rating the shots on what I think is a good photo (based on my artisitic appraisal) or which would be most likely to sell, based on things like position of people on the rocks.

I showed a climber a shot I loved, it was him resting, i.e. dangling off the rope with his feet on the rock and arms folded... he hated it because it didn't show him "climbing"

potential clients have very different views on things Wink

Just Jas
22 Jun 2010 - 1:13 PM

As you know, Ade, it's the difference in shooting for them and just shooting for yourself.

I guess the thing to do is to shoot a variety of pics covering most of the possibilities, unless you have a specific brief.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.