Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

PRIZES GALORE! Enter The ePHOTOzine Exclusive Christmas Prize Draw; Over £10,000 Worth of Prizes! Plus A Gift For Everybody On Christmas Day!

Young members

ZenTog 12 7.9k 1 England
12 Jun 2007 9:30PM
we could , have a collection point at focus for memory cards, and cameras that people in htis country no longer need, I would put two cards in to start and look for cheap cameras to purchase, we go to a lot of carboots in summer and winter so see a lot of used gear,
we could start a paypal account off for donations of cash where people havnt got any cards etc
these kids have had a horrible time and any small gesture that priviliged photographers here could help with would bring smiles to their faces

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

catnappin 7 666 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2007 9:42PM
Friday is a bit too close to help this time Penny, but do you have further dates ?.... How many digi cams and memory cards do you need for the next visit??? I am sure your targets would be attainable.
Jacqui
ZenTog 12 7.9k 1 England
12 Jun 2007 9:43PM
lets get a list together of volounteers

Paulsfrost

add your name to the list if you are serious about helping these kids
ZenTog 12 7.9k 1 England
12 Jun 2007 9:59PM
we could arrange to auction of camera like the one horse is donating , then buy several cheaper point and shoot camera, maybe WE or Jessops will do a good price
ZenTog 12 7.9k 1 England
12 Jun 2007 10:01PM
Penny we need a name for the cause, have you any ideas to get the thing rolling
Nick_w e2
7 4.1k 99 England
12 Jun 2007 10:05PM
I too agree with horse on the junior gallery. I'm trying to register my daughter at the moment .I think the settings we have on her E-mail are filtering out the confirmation for her. I will sort it out tomorrow when I have a clear head.
I wish Maddie well with her charity.
pennyspike 11 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
12 Jun 2007 10:51PM
I've quite deliberately never mentioned a name just given information about the project because I didn't want the wrath of Pete on my head.

If anyone is interested I'll pm you and give you more details. It all started as an idea beween a few photographers when a group came over ten years ago and like all good ideas it's grown. I would like to make a start on the digi changeover this year but it's a long term project and I hope it will be completed by next year.

As this site has such a sense of camaraderie between members it is a shame to knock it on the head when we try to help one another. In fact I think it is what sets it apart from other sites.

The impetus of the calendar clearly demonstrates this. Lighthearted banter with a lot of goodwill underpinning it.

The Junior Gallery suggestion is another example of the way the site works well. It is such a good idea and with the likes of Fran to keep a watchful eye I'm sure it would work.
If it gets off the ground you can be sure of my support
andytvcams 12 10.4k United Kingdom
12 Jun 2007 10:56PM

Quote:If anyone is interested I'll pm you

Yes please.
MrsS 8 4.5k 18 England
12 Jun 2007 10:58PM
Good luck Penny --add me to your list too Smile

Cheers!

Fran x
Simon_Palmer 8 759 11 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2007 6:48PM
I just came across this thread. My views are gonna upset a few but there ya go, in for a penny in for a pound I say.

No to a kids section, they get too much as it is, whatever happened to kids being kids, they no need the bloody internet and cameras and stuff. They should be out playing, its summer for gawd's sake.

Besides I never got any special treatment as a kid, I did as I was told and spoke when I was spoken to. But ya know what, I had a WONDERFUL CHILDHOOD and love my parents to this day for it.
answersonapostcard e2
10 12.7k 15 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2007 6:57PM
hmmm well.. lets see they could be ... inside or ..... outside
GPTek e2
8 440 1 England
13 Jun 2007 11:18PM
I've been watching this thread develop and have been in total agreement with whole idea of encouraging youngsters to enjoy photography.

Quote:I think its a great idea for more kids to be involved, Agree with marking there uploads with a (J) to indicate its a junior member, Gallery wise why not when they up load the pic it goes in the main gallery and automatically goes into a junior gallery. That way it doesn't just get lost in the mass of uploads.

This seems a great idea and hopefully the servers can take the extra load?? I'm sure we don't want a slow down.

Quote:No to a kids section, they get too much as it is, whatever happened to kids being kids, they no need the bloody internet and cameras and stuff. They should be out playing, its summer for gawd's sake.

Doesn't this give an ideal opportunity for images that mean something to the individuals? They are already using Flickr and Facebook to share them. Most of the youngsters will have camera phones (there I've said it now LOL), so we may see a number using those, but if they are encouraged and have the opportunity, I'm sure they'll want to migrate to better equipment.

Penny - I'm not sure if I can help you, but drop me a pm (at least an update) and good luck with your project.

Fran - I hope this idea does continue and look forward to new section!!

Geoff
pennyspike 11 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2007 11:49PM

Quote:No to a kids section, they get too much as it is

The earlier kids get to appreciate what is in the world around them the less likely they are to mindlessly destroy it. Photography is a great medium for encouraging this and a good way of learning by doing.
MrsS 8 4.5k 18 England
14 Jun 2007 12:10AM
Totally agree Penny, thanks Geoff Smile

Have to say, Simon - I had a gr8 childhood too - but time doesn't stand still and nowadays children have sooo much more technology and possessions than I had.

Is it so bad to encourage them into doing something that may just turn out to be a lifelong hobby.

I'm not asking for any special treatment really - just a way that some of us can identify younger members and give them encouragement, and a way for them to identify each other.

Is that so bad?? It would have no impact on the way the site runs IMHO. I think this is a Marmite issue - you'll either love it or hate it Smile

Cheers!

Fran x
smileylaura 9 640 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2007 12:46PM

Quote: they get too much as it is, whatever happened to kids being kids, they no need the bloody internet and cameras and stuff.

What a silly idea.

Loads of kids enjoy a hobby or talent... could be football or sports in general, drawing/painting, dancing, singing, playing an instrument and sometimes photography!
We should encourage them!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.