Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Your favourite film camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Just Jas
Just Jas  1225727 forum posts England1 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2012 - 10:57 AM

Quote: But then I think to myself, would I actually bother to buy film for it and get the film processed/printed.

I don't think that you would, CB. You have clearly moved on.

As you are not into nostalgia it might be better to eBay it where, perhaps, someone might use it or cherish it.

You might not get much for it, but that's not the point.

jas Grin

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Sep 2012 - 10:57 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse
Carabosse e2 Member 1139388 forum postsCarabosse vcard England269 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2012 - 11:12 AM

Quote: As you are not into nostalgia it might be better to eBay it where, perhaps, someone might use it or cherish it.

I'm not sure what you're talking about Jas! I have nothing in my photographic armoury which I don't use currently, so there's nothing to put on eBay! Grin

I was merely pondering whether to get a Canon A-1 film SLR because I have two Canon lenses (which I occasionally use on M4/3 with adaptor) which were originally meant for such a camera.

But you are probably right in that I have moved on: haven't bought a roll of film in nearly 10 years now.

AlexandraSD
10 Sep 2012 - 11:43 AM

I bought myself a Praktica MTL-50 when i was 15, used it a lot until i bought the Canon AV-1 when i turned 18 and i used that for ages until i upgraded to an eos 1000b (not much of an upgrade but back then autofocus was king and queen of it all).

The Praktica was such a mechanical beast, and virtually unstoppable, those things will just carry on working well after humans have vanished and the primates have taken over the world Smile

The AV-1 felt like luxury compared to the MTL-50, i had a motorwind on it which was handy for me back then, and a lovely but cheap wide angle 28mm lens, which seemed extremely wide in those days. That was a wonderful camera to learn with, it felt solid as a rock but it didnt have the weight of the Praktica, which was a bonus because after a while the Praktica was annoying to have round your neck, though im too cool now to wear a camera as a necklace Wink

I quite often look back on my photography/camera history, and i am scared that kids today will miss out on the real wonders of image making and capture. Where is the fun in just pressing a button to create an image? They will never know the joy of seeing an image come alive in the developing tray, or the agony of accidentally getting thumb marks on freshly processed film, now its just Instagram, automatic editing for the masses, big shame....

As for my fav film camera, that accolade goes to my Halina Super EX rangefinder, which i have used regular(ish), like twice a year. The results from this camera are lovely and dreamlike, with lots of imperfections with the glass, i feel this adds to the charm of it. The Halina weights the same as me i think, its quite heavy, so it does not follow me around as much as the digitals do. I also bought a Voigtlander Vito C from ebay a few moons ago, have used it but im buggered if i can remember using it, unlike the Halina, how odd is that?

Last Modified By AlexandraSD at 10 Sep 2012 - 12:02 PM
mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
10 Sep 2012 - 1:22 PM

The old Prackticas were indeed tanks. My MTL3 was styled like a brick, woke the dead with the mirror flipped up, but was simple and reliable.

Quote: I quite often look back on my photography/camera history, and i am scared that kids today will miss out on the real wonders of image making and capture. Where is the fun in just pressing a button to create an image? They will never know the joy of seeing an image come alive in the developing tray, or the agony of accidentally getting thumb marks on freshly processed film, now its just Instagram, automatic editing for the masses, big shame....

I know what you mean, and I think it's true to some extent that some may be missing out on the pleasure of giving their creative side some exercise. However, I think it's also likely that the simple, unintimidating instant-everything side of photography will also encourage those with a genuine interest to explore further, and discover what can be achieved with a bit more imagination and effort. Smile

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1314893 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2012 - 1:42 PM

I could never get on with the clunky Prackticas, but I loved there glass.

mdpontin
10 Sep 2012 - 2:17 PM

Quote: ...with the mirror flipped up...

I meant "when the mirror flipped up".
Tongue

petebfrance
10 Sep 2012 - 4:46 PM

My first SLR was a Practika PCL2. Very heavy, nice lenses (50mm 1.8 Pancolar, 35mm 2.4 Flectogon and a rather large Pentacon 135mm f2.8 - beautiful purple colour looking into it from the end!) and the electronic gubbinses were pretty 'advanced' at the time giving open-aperture metering - well, for the price. Unfortunately there is something wrong with it now - I can see splintered glass through the viewfinder (at the bottom). I guess it doesn't matter because it's unlikely to be used again. Sigh.
Replaced it with a Pentax P30n. A good camera which seemed more solid than the Canons at a similar price, and I don't think Nikon made anything that cheap. Actually, I was really tempted by the newer Prakticas (brand loyalty, maybe) but decided that the 'writing was on the wall' for the company by then.

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 41175 forum posts United Kingdom196 Constructive Critique Points
10 Sep 2012 - 5:56 PM

Funny, one of my earliest SLRs was a PCL2, which was unusual at the time, as they were (I believe) mainly available in Canada and the US. The MTLs were sold over here. Went on to Olympus and never looked back though, but useful if your handbrake failed!

Nick

PSILVERMAN
12 Sep 2012 - 5:34 AM

Quote: My Contax 139. Beautiful to look at, beautiful to hold and beautiful to use. No contest. None of my subsequent Canons, although great pieces of equipment (film and digital), have never given me the pleasure to use that the 139 did.

Absolutely!!

fusion2011
13 Sep 2012 - 3:43 AM

Nikon F2 ... WinkWinkWink

Mayfly
Mayfly  8485 forum posts United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 11:07 AM

Nikon FM1 and Olympus OM1 n beautiful solid little cameras with great glass. Modern AF lenses just don't feel the same as the old smooth brass thread MF lenses Smile

mdpontin
13 Sep 2012 - 11:39 AM

The old adage "they don't make 'em like they used to" is certainly true. Smile

Pete
Pete Site Moderator 1318432 forum postsPete vcard ePz Advertiser England96 Constructive Critique Points
13 Sep 2012 - 11:42 AM

Manual focus - Contax 137 MD beautiful...and with lenses of exquisite quality. I traded it in for a Mamiya RB67 and regret losing that 85mm Sonnar and 50mm f/1.4.
Autofocus - the Canon EOS 100 was a camera I wore out. I took it all over the world in my press days with Practical Photography (probably to the annoyance of other manufacturers who'd invited me on their product launches.

Badgerfred
Badgerfred e2 Member 7Badgerfred vcard Wales
15 Sep 2012 - 1:56 PM

I've had a Pentax ME Super, Pentax Super A and a Pentax LX, the LX is my clear favourite,
Fred.

User_Removed
15 Sep 2012 - 5:33 PM

I have two favourites - only one of which I now own... Sad

My Nikon F5 (Grin)

Pentax 6x7 (BOY! I rue the day I got rid of that and all its attendant lenses) Sad

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.