Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Your favourite film camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

55% OFF new PortraitPro 12 - use code EPHZROS414.
jrfoto
jrfoto  7 United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 12:21 AM

From the days when I was shooting film I think the Canon T90 was my favourite. I had A-1s before that, and they were good, but the T90 was more advanced in every way (except for being bigger perhasp - although I prefer a bigger camera). Brilliant bit of kit especially the handling, and all the EOS series really follow the same basic design ( as do many cameras from other makers).
Nowadays, my favourite from the film era is a Canon F-1. It's more squre and boxy etc. than the T90 and has no 'advanced' features but I like it because of that. It has three controls - aperture, shutter speed, focussing, and that's it! No modes, settings, menus, etc. Very nice at times to get back to basics for a while. Not that I'm turning in my digital SLRs any time soon, of course.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
10 Dec 2012 - 12:21 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pawelpiwosz
10 Dec 2012 - 9:09 AM

Porst C-TL for me. It's probably their best SLR. Mount system is M42, so you can have a sack of very cheap and very good lensesSmile

This camera has the viewfinder with 100% coverage (AFAIR), and spot metering (1% frame).

I took many pictures with this camera, and learned very, very much, especially when I was working with slides.

And, well, when I sold this system, I earned much more money then when I had bought it Wink

Consulo
Consulo  9762 forum posts Scotland9 Constructive Critique Points
10 Dec 2012 - 1:23 PM

Well I haven't used tons of them so I don't have a wide pool from which to draw. However, I do like my Dad's old Fuji AX1 35mm as it's great to use. I love my Mamiya RB67 too, and I've a huge soft spot for my holga.

nsutcliffe
12 Dec 2012 - 8:58 AM

I'm with Paul: OM10 and OM2 SP.
Happy days!

Last Modified By nsutcliffe at 12 Dec 2012 - 8:58 AM
Focus_Man
Focus_Man  4481 forum posts United Kingdom631 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2012 - 9:28 AM

Just had to be my Mamiya 645 kit. camera body, spare back, pentaprism viewfinder and three lenses. If we go down to 35mm stuff my Nikon FM2 and lenses.

The larger format was always favourite for weddings and professional work but I also used my mamiya C220s and C330s with their lenses. lenses fitted both cameras.

cathal
cathal  9492 forum posts Ireland4 Constructive Critique Points
12 Dec 2012 - 1:02 PM

What a wide list to choose from...

My first ever 35mm SLR was a Ricoh KR10 which, thirty one years later, I still own and use. In between, many cameras have come and gone. I have a soft spot for the Olympus OM2sp and OM4, but would have loved an OM1n. When I moved to Nikon, I ended up with two F5 bodies, and that is the only camera I've ever owned two of! However, brilliant as the F5 was (I'd rate it as the best 35mm camera ever made) I adored my FM2n, and always had a much greater affinity with the photographs I took with it. Something about it being totally mechanical and manual, and the feeling of "I made this" it gave. I have a soft spot for Pentax too, and still yearn for an MX or LX body.

For a time I had a full Bronica SQA system, with lenses, grips, prisims, etc, and sold it all for a price that now makes me weep! If I'd had the means, I'd have kept it.

Digital bodies are computers, and don't excite the same way... and have a much shorter life span anyhow!

pablophotographer

I have used several film cameras of 110, 120, polaroid and 35mm film. Wished they were all battery-free like my Kodak Ektra 200, had a bright viewfinder like the Seagull 6x6, were so stable as the Zenit E, pocketable as the Fujica 35ee, had flash included like the Nikon RD2, had great lenses as the Minolta Rikkor ones, had collapsible lens as the Fuji 645, were shooting as wide as the Fuji645W, could shoot double frames like the Olympus Pen, could take panoramic pictures like a lomo 360 panoramic, be watertight, make prints as fast as a polaroid
and costed as little as the Centon DF300.

I like them all the same, each has/had its own appeal depending on the circumstances.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
14 Dec 2012 - 10:03 PM

Today I picked up my fourth Trip, I will have to start customizing them soon Smile

boony
boony  7978 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
17 Dec 2012 - 1:42 PM

I loved my clockwork hassleblad, was clunky as hell but made me feel very skilled by having to use a handheld meter and also the sheer size of it compared with the days average camera which was a pocket point and press thing. As far as SLRs went it would have to be my EOS 600, it was an absolute revelation after my manual focus/wind on Canon AE1

pablophotographer

I think that any camera that works, can make me happy, as long I can see and use it.

Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan e2 Member 1214381 forum postsPaul Morgan vcard England6 Constructive Critique Points
19 Dec 2012 - 1:53 AM

Nothing beats going out at night in a snow blizzard to do a bit of street stuff, 400 iso film, 1/40 s @ f2.8 with either a trip or my 35sp.

Digital cameras just complicate things Smile

pablophotographer

Freezing cold does beat it. I had gone with my centon camera and a BCN400isoBW to shoot a sculpture during a bitterly cold night in November 2 years ago. Pressed the shutter , and the lens stayed open for longer than it was set to stay. I placed the lens cover to stop the light hitting the film. Felt like these 100 year old photographers who where covered in black cloth behind the cameras. I ended up with pictures of moving sculptures but not great loss, the sculpture was an airplanes monument, it was an acceptable effect , it would have gone down easier if the full moon did not look like a blob. But I agree, it can be fun Smile

Paul Morgan
20 Dec 2012 - 9:23 PM

I went out one night and shot a whole roll of film without removing the lens cap, on that occasion I`d wished I`d used an slr Smile

Sooty_1
Sooty_1 Critique Team 31125 forum posts United Kingdom192 Constructive Critique Points
20 Dec 2012 - 10:59 PM

At least you could run it through again!

pablophotographer

Quote: I went out one night and shot a whole roll of film without removing the lens cap, on that occasion I`d wished I`d used an slr Smile

Naughty rangefinders. But as Sooty says you could still roll back the film Smile - I hope you've found that out before you take the film for developing-

That same night I decided to buy a digital, lol. But I was unsure if it would work at that temperature, lol.
And I won't be visiting that monument in the foreseeable future to test it.

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.