Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Your favourite film camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

Graflex
Graflex  11488 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Dec 2012 - 11:03 AM

Favoutites over the years:120 Rolleiflex and Rolleicords.
Same film,different masks..Speed And Crown Graphics (using the 120 backs).

35mm,Nikon FM2 and the EM.
Staying with 35mm,Canon A1 and the T60.

Anyway,photography is all about the actual picture in front of you and getting it captured the simplest way of recording it,film cameras always seem to do that without too much hassle.
I don't go out to be confused by technical claptrap...

Good luck to those that like that,I needed to bring back the bacon.(or loose the contract and be fired).

(ex-Fleet Street).

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
30 Dec 2012 - 11:03 AM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 12:31 PM

My favourite film camera is perhaps what I started out with, a voigtlander Vito II followed by the Pentax Spotmatic.

Quote: Anyway,photography is all about the actual picture in front of you and getting it captured the simplest way of recording it,film cameras always seem to do that without too much hassle.

Indeed so while the present array of DSLR cameras seem to be hell bent in making it as complicated as they can.
Earning a living from Photography the camera becomes an essential tool that is expected tp work day in day out.
There is the nostalgic element of all manual film cameras that YOU told what to do and you did that without thinking or even looking at the camera settings, you got to know it inside out even as an enthusiast. A modern DSLR doesn't give you that option as the clicks have all gone with bad exposure/focusing lying firmly with the camera set on auto.

Graflex
Graflex  11488 forum posts United Kingdom
30 Dec 2012 - 2:15 PM

Sounds about right,Ken.

Today's digital you need to take along the brochure/instruction book to find out where everything is..hang on,I've got that wrong.
I should have said take your laptop along because everything,the instructions, today is on disc.

What a mad world this is..

By the way Ken,talking about film,I was talking to a student learning photography at uni,and they didn't know what was in the chemicals in the darkroom..a 'technician' mixes them because of H&S rules.

Don't let me anywhere near these colleges because I'd tear up the rule book.

TruckerPete
30 Dec 2012 - 2:40 PM

My favourite camera is the Olympus OM1n I purchased september 1982 and still going strong.

Pete

KenTaylor
KenTaylor e2 Member 102983 forum postsKenTaylor vcard United Kingdom2 Constructive Critique Points
30 Dec 2012 - 7:10 PM

Quote: talking to a student learning photography at uni,and they didn't know what was in the chemicals in the darkroom..a 'technician' mixes them because of H&S rules.

Ah yes the days of the simple beutler formula and making up D163, hypo fix and acetic stop.
I do believe that Agfa Rodinal is still around although no longer its original mix. It lasted forever, I still have some.
H&S is an issue as I have known, albeit only one or two, that have had a reaction to certain chemicals.
A friend of mine who is a retired research chemist phoned his colleagues at work asking for a certain chemical and told it was a banned. I know he said but can I have some Smile

Adee
Adee  4 United Kingdom
7 Jan 2013 - 2:18 AM

My best film camera was a Bronica ECTL, it had a 6x6 split mirror and weighed a ton.... But the pin sharp photos was worth all the hassle..... image.jpg

JohnnyG
JohnnyG  2 Canada
11 Jan 2013 - 12:46 AM

Canon F1 LA 1984 Olympic edition.
Bought new in 1984 for $1600 w/motor drive but not the lense. Still works as good as the day I bought it.

canonf1-olympic84.jpg

Ploughman
Ploughman  128 forum posts United Kingdom3 Constructive Critique Points
13 Jan 2013 - 3:17 PM

Minolta XD7 (XD11 in USA).
Over the years I have owned, X300, X500, XD7, X700 and 600si classic, the last being my first autofocus machine.
The best of the bunch was the XD7, it was sold by Lieca as the R3 so I guess it had to be special.
However for flash work the X500 took some beating.

photofrenzy
17 Feb 2013 - 12:29 AM

EOS-1v was my last film camera what a cracking camera it was to use focus was spot on exposure was spot on , The build quality was built like a tank good old trusty camera a joy to use.

Coast
Coast Critique Team 61339 forum postsCoast vcard United Kingdom292 Constructive Critique Points
17 Feb 2013 - 10:22 AM

Proper Camera's went a little like this

Chinon CE4-s
Pentax ME Super
Canon A1
Canon T90
Canon EOS 3
Bronica SQa
Canon EOS 5D
Canon EOS 5D III

I loved the Chinon as it was my first proper camera and saved up for over a year to get it aged 12. So it will always have a special place.

Canon A1 was fantastic and I loved the T90 too. The EOS 3 was great fun and the eye controlled focus did work.

For film however my all time favourite camera was my Bronica. And for Digital.... I'm getting to grips with the EOS 5D III and loving it.

derekd
derekd  8
25 Feb 2013 - 11:03 AM

My first SLR was a Yashica pentamatic which I bought in Singapore in 1959 and was a superb camera, no metering, no autofocus and very heavy. I still have it today in my collection of vintage cameras. Probably my favourite manual focus was a Canon T90, but when I switched to autofocus I went for Nikon and have stayed with them ever since. My favourite nikon film camera was a F90 but now its Nikon D5100 with 18-200 dxvr and a 18-105 lenses and a Nikon P7100for lighter use. However its all just a personal choice

hoosierdaddy
4 Mar 2013 - 1:08 AM

Nikon FM3a, without a doubt. When it came out I looked at it at the camera shop just out of curiosity, then realised that it was nothing less and nothing more than the ideal film SLR, and purchased one.

Robert_Malcolm

Nikon F5 - and yes I did occasionally burn through 8fps (not just because it could). I had a pair (and still have one).

dwilkin
dwilkin  824249 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Apr 2013 - 1:58 PM

My favourite at the moment is probably my Fuji GW690W II, as it makes for some lovely wide-angle images - great for landscapes and such, but I have so many these days , and the Zeiss folders are just gorgeous to look at!

Jat_Riski
Jat_Riski e2 Member 667 forum postsJat_Riski vcard United Kingdom
5 Apr 2013 - 8:04 PM

Canon EOS10.Smile

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.