Login or Join Now

Upload your photos, chat, win prizes and much more

Username:
Password:
Remember Me

Can't Access your Account?

New to ePHOTOzine? Join ePHOTOzine for free!

Like 0

Your favourite film camera

Join Now

Join ePHOTOzine, the friendliest photography community.

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more for free!

polis_928tadw59

You rats. This caught my eye and I thought, "What is this ?" Pentax ME Super, - got one. Canon A-1, got one, this that and the other, got them. I am trying to give up film cameras, but tomorrow I will go through this thread and see what I have not got, and then start collecting again.TongueCanon EOS 5; got one; Halina 35X, got one. And the Fuji GW's etc. been looking at them on ebay - Sad

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links 
5 Apr 2013 - 8:35 PM

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dwilkin
dwilkin  724249 forum posts United Kingdom
5 Apr 2013 - 10:56 PM

Yes, but we're not addicted - we can quit any time we want - honest! Smile

BTW, I have to agree that the Canon A1 is a lovely bit of kit - so easy to use, and a real quality feel to it...

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
6 Apr 2013 - 10:18 PM

Quote: I am trying to give up film cameras, but tomorrow I will go through this thread and see what I have not got, and then start collecting again.

*chuckles evilly in the shadows*Wink

altitude50
altitude50  101735 forum posts United Kingdom
9 Apr 2013 - 4:03 PM

I used to have a Minolta 9000, but the 'lcd creep' on the top panel became unmanageable. Great camera with lots of sensible options as exposure modes.
I sold the lenses whilst I thought that they still had some value. The Minolta 35-105 was the best zoom I have ever used. (I have used quite a lot of different ones!) The Minolta 135 mm AF fixed length was without a doubt the best lens for sharpness I have known, took some photos at Brighton Marina and when I examined them there were details on the fronts of houses in the background miles away..
Wish I had kept everything!
Just started a small collection of classic items, Voigtlander Vito B (used to own one in the 50's) Olympus OM-1 which I have used a little and just bought a clean Yashica FR1 with a selection of lenses including a Yashica f1.4 50mm which I am itching to get out and use now the weather has improved..

I had a Hoya 75-150mm zoom on my Canon AE-1, a cheap lens, not especially sharp, but it just had a smooth way of portraying an image. Will buy another when I see a good one! The AE-1 is a nice camera, good to hold and easy to find the controls.

petebfrance
9 Apr 2013 - 7:40 PM

Well, it isn't my favourite, but I'm feeling a bit fed-up this-evening so decided to post this anyway:

rig6a.jpg

The Balda Rigona from the 1950s

Note the extra little windows at the front.
From the back there are two - a viewfinder and a seperate rangefinder:
- find subject with viewfinder
- use the rangefinder window for the distance, which can be read off the top-plate of the camera (there's a knurled wheel)
- set the distance on the lens
- frame the subject...
Lot's of levers and knobs to er play with, wind-on on the body (with thingy to prevent mutliple exposure), shutter cocked on the shutter mechanism at the front - it's quite fun, really, if you can remember the sequence.

Not so good for BIF etc.
The rangefinder does seem to be accurate, though.....

mdpontin
mdpontin  106016 forum posts Scotland
9 Apr 2013 - 10:07 PM

A rather tenuous connection I admit, but your description of the Rigona with the "thingy to prevent multiple exposure" reminded me of the visual indicators (mechanical, of course) on the ME Super - a dot in the top plate which changed from black to orange when the shutter was cocked, and the tiny window on the back with the stripes which wobbled when you wound on to confirm that the film was being transported.

At least, I think they were both on the ME Super...

I really would like to get my hands on one of those little beauties again!

petebfrance
10 Apr 2013 - 7:06 PM

Yes, I think it had something or other in red - perhaps in those days the significance of the red dot was one of the many arcane thingummies known only to photography afficianados....

polis_928tadw59

altitude50, I wonder what causes the bleeding on the Minolta 9000. Bought mine 2nd hand about 10 years ago, and the panel is still nice and clear. Must get it out in the next few days. Looks like spring is here at last.

altitude50
altitude50  101735 forum posts United Kingdom
11 Apr 2013 - 2:44 PM

I don't know what causes the bleeding. I lived in Spain for several years and originally thought that the heat may have caused it, but a good proportion of the 9000's that I have seen have got the blight.
Something that moves that slowly consistently (I would guess something like 1mm in 10 years Grin) must have an application in research somewhere! When Konica Minolta stopped making/selling film cameras, I actually wrote to them in Milton Keynes to ask if they were throwing out any spare panels from their stores! (Almost in jest). If there were any I expect that they went into the big recycling bin.

Goldfynche
31 May 2013 - 1:02 PM

One of my favourite 'film' cameras was the Russian Leningrad. A 35mm rangefinder camera with a clockwork motor drive. A hulking brute of a beast. No streamlined beauty, this one. As a junior salesman I used to sell them along with Fed2/3s, Zenith 3ms and Zorkis.
I also loved and once owned a Kiev IV. The Russian copy of the Contax. This was back in the early 60s, in a camera shop right on Trafalgar Square in London.

Goldfynche
31 May 2013 - 1:09 PM

And I've not seen the Canon Pellix mentioned. Canons 'fixed mirror' SLR with the new fangled 'through the lens' metering. Previously, only Topcon had gone down this route, with the RE Super.

Newdevonian
31 May 2013 - 8:18 PM

I had a Leningrad too, with 50 & 135 Jupiter lens. Used to get 18 shots on one winding. Backed it up up with a Leica 111a. When the Leningrad died it was replaced by a Leica M3 body, could never afford Leitz lenses apart from a 2.8 50mm Elmar. Pentax Spotmatic then Canon FTb and finally NikonF90x which I still have. Much nicer in the hand than the D100 or D7000. There was also a Yashicamat and also a Bronica ETRsi plus three lenses. The latter I still have.

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 31 May 2013 - 8:22 PM
Goldfynche
31 May 2013 - 9:23 PM

Yep! YashicaMat, Yashica 124G and Bronica ETR. Had them all. The Yashicmat was my backup at weddings.

Goldfynche
31 May 2013 - 9:37 PM

The mighty Leningrad beast

8-image.jpg

Newdevonian
31 May 2013 - 11:04 PM

Never had one, but does anyone remember the Exacta?

Last Modified By Newdevonian at 31 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

Add a Comment

You must be a member to leave a comment

Username:
Password:
Remember me:
Un-tick this box if you want to login each time you visit.