Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

your thoughts on the Fuji x100

dazzaman e2
8 630 England
22 Jan 2013 8:39AM
Hi just wondering what ur thoughts are on the x100 is it a good street camera,some sample images would be greatly appreciated.and where is the cheapest place.
Thanks

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

22 Jan 2013 9:05AM
X100 is a great camera, but it's fixed prime lens is a bit of a drawback for street photography. It is not always viable in the street to approach the subject too close, some zoom would be helpful. Luckily, there is X100's "little brother"- X10, but I would wait and get X20 - which took some of X100's features on board. As for me - it would be a great street camera. Small, inconspicuous, with fast lens and some useful zoom. Image quality, while not as great as with X100, is very decent and may be sufficient for street photography - where some noise creates the "feel" as well, especially in B&W.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
22 Jan 2013 9:28AM
Can't speak from personal experience but a (very experienced) friend bought one when they first came out (at 995 I think) and he speaks very highly of it.

Like the poster above, I might have felt that the fixed lens was a bit of a disadvantage but he thinks it adds more "authenticity" to street photography.

Now that the price is down to virtually half the launch price and a replacement has just been announced at around 1100, then I suspect that, if the camera suits you, snapping one up at around the 500 current street price might not be a bad deal.

GazzaG2003 e2
11 252 England
22 Jan 2013 9:29AM
I have the X10 (carry about) and its a top camera I can only assume the X100 is even better, should get it for a decent price as the new X20 and X100s are coming soon.
hobbo e2
3 892 2 England
22 Jan 2013 9:32AM
I agree with the above comments................instead I purchased the more versatile PANASONIC LX5, the one with the extra bright Leica lens:

It has proved ideal for Street Photography because of its small size, ability to shoot in RAW....the limited zoom allows me to get closer to my subjects, whilst also having excellent wide shot ability.

An additional electronic viewfinder is available, at a price...............I haven't been tempted yet....it is a great pity Panasonic didn't include one in the build:

Can I suggest you put both cameras into a YouTube search....there are lots of excellent reviews including sample shots there:

It is the first place I go to when considering new equipment:

Hobbo
dazzaman e2
8 630 England
22 Jan 2013 9:49AM
Thanks guys,I have the Panasonic gx1 with electronic evf and Panasonic 20mm prime. And the. Motorized 14-42 mm it's a brilliant set up,but I really do fancy the x100 with the brilliant fujinon 23mm lens.
Mayfly e2
9 485 2 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2013 12:02PM
The X100 is a little corker. Had one for a few months now and the IQ is impressive. As long as your not expecting slr af and reaction times you wont be disappointed. Ive got a scrapbook blog [link=kuhlephoto.tumblr.com]here[/link] with a few real world samples if you want to have s look.
dazzaman e2
8 630 England
22 Jan 2013 1:09PM
Thanks Andy the iq looks mighty impressive.looks better than my d300s
Mayfly e2
9 485 2 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2013 1:30PM
Yep I use a D300 and the lens and sensor combo is ace. Anything upto iso 1600 and 3200 with some careful noise reduction is pretty clean. Side by side against my D300 the X100 wins hands down.
Sooty_1 e2
4 1.3k 203 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2013 1:36PM

Quote:As long as your not expecting slr af and reaction times you wont be disappointed

I would have thought that for street shooting that's exactly what you want....unless you're going to pre focus or zone focus.
22 Jan 2013 3:37PM
Hi Dazzaman!

Have a look here, test, photos (albeit with the dated firmware) and comparisson.
http://www.ephotozine.com/site-search/x100#

Great style camera, very much discussed.....
Andy80F e2
11 311 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2013 7:15PM
The X100 is a bit of a slower camera to use than the more point and shoot compact but when you do get it right the results are great. In fact its a really great camera that makes you think and you can really see the direct consequence of the choices of aperture, speed, ISO etc. It did take a while to start getting good pictures but there is a satisfaction factor I'd not really had since film and manual focus days. It's not perfect though, the manual focussing option is pretty useless and its not the fastest camera to use but the need to almost pre-think a situation does make using it more absorbing. I've got a camera phone, it has it's place, and SLR and even a few old film cameras but the X100 is the most rewarding to use in the right situation. I'd recommend it but realise not everyone will "click" with it.
Paul Morgan e2
13 16.1k 6 England
22 Jan 2013 7:15PM
The x100 is a great little camera, but coming from a Panasonic gx1 I think you will miss having a zoom with a fixed lens.

The x100 went through many firmware updates, the autofocus in good light is now pretty good.

There`s plenty of us on here using x10`s, another great little camera, the new x20 should be even better when its released.
dazzaman e2
8 630 England
22 Jan 2013 8:27PM
Thanks guys, it's made me rethink things now. Especially with the slow autofocus issues.
Andy80F e2
11 311 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2013 12:04AM
The autofocus is okay it's the manual focus that has not been properly realised on the camera but users, at least on the X100 forums, quickly adapt and combined with the level of control over focal depth this camera gives can give stunning results. I tend to use the focus lock on the back of the camera, well placed for thumb use, to set the focus on whatever the subject is then recompose the scene. It's what most of us, I suspect, do on our SLRs with the half press of the shutter. Its not a camera for sports work however but its a joy otherwise. The electronic/optical viewfinder is a really great feature.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.